Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 07:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
My strategy is Ross !

I love that store. Not only can you find quality clothing at 75 % off but there are other things too , like housewares , shoes , purses, everything at amazing deals
My local Ross looks like a flea market in Tijuana. Even the clerks don't speak English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 12:21 PM

362 posts, read 392,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The biggest problem I have with scoring good clothes cheap is in order to do that you really have to SHOP. My mom had a black belt in finding deals, but she went looking a couple times or more a week, if she really needed something.

If it weren't for the fact I go to the grocery store just fine and I enjoy a "shop hop" for fabric at the drop of a hat, I'd worry I was developing agoraphobia. I can't stand shopping.

Hate hate hate it.

To the tune that when my nephew was getting married and I needed two dresses for the festivities, I got so frustrated and panicked that I ended up at the nicest Macy's, corralled a very helpful salesclerk, and she helped me find two dresses and put them together for me. I then went to Nordies for shoes.

I spent 300 bucks in one night, and I was so freaking happy it was over I didn't care.

Contrast with my mother, who had started looking MONTHS in advance.... and by the time she was done she had spent about 50 bucks. But she ENJOYED the process, where as I would rather have a root canal, a mammogram and a colonoscopy on the same day....
I must be getting old. For a guy, I love to shop for clothes and I do it like your mom, months in advance. I like bargains more than I like the actual shopping though. I shop for all my clothes in one state where I stay part time. They have no tax on clothes and a lower cost of living. So, everything is cheaper to begin with. Then they add sales to the mix. Recently got 2 pair of nice shoes and a pair of NB cross trainers at boscov's (local retailer) for 80 some dollars. I'm good shoe wise till nov. 2011.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:12 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I would rather have a root canal, a mammogram and a colonoscopy on the same day....
LOL - that's me if I were forced to go to our local WalMart or KMart (haven't been in yrs. and have no plans to go). I also have to really force myself to go to Ross.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:58 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,193 times
I go to the Goodwill store in the rich part of the city. Otherwise, I go to Macys

Old 10-09-2010, 09:12 PM

93 posts, read 358,333 times
Goodwill, my sewing machine, and major sales. That's all I can do. Being a nonstandard size, it's hard to find things easily and cheaply, but I love the hunt!

Old 10-13-2010, 10:54 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My local Ross looks like a flea market in Tijuana. Even the clerks don't speak English.

I feel like that is how all of those stores are lately.. at least where we are in the mid-atlantic.
TJ Maxx, Marshalls,Ross, etc....
They are picked over garage sales is what it feels like when walking in and yes, lucky to find someone that speaks English.

It is so frustrating!

Old 10-13-2010, 11:09 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,079 times
I LOVE Talbots Clearance store..!! Especially when they're having big sale (usually 70% - 80%). My biggest buys were $5.86 for a pair of summer jeans and $4.74 for a cute short sleeve summer top. I have not found any store that can beat them in price and quality thus far.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:34 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
99% of what I've seen in Ross seems to be making its last stop before it's shipped to Africa by the bulk pound. So much that seems like it's been sitting in a forgotten warehouse since 1973.

We're down the road from a good-sized outlet mall, and I do most of my shopping off the clearance racks there.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:13 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have visited different Ross Stores and found some were very immaculate , well organized and the clerks did speak english.

One Ross store I didn't enjoy going into as much I found the shoe department with shoes left on the floor and things in disarray. I think I felt that meant mgt was not walking the floors as much...

I did not find a Ross store where the clerk could not speak english.

Overall good experiences there. I kind of look at it like hidden treasures

Old 10-14-2010, 02:45 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,801,652 times
Salvation Army.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living