Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Move to Frederick or not?
Move to Frederick, put up with the commute 1 11.11%
Stay in College Park area 0 0%
Look elsewhere, closer to CP 8 88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 07:17 AM

8 posts, read 5,995 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My family and I moved to the College Park area a couple of months ago from Upstate NY. I took a position at UMD. So far, can't say I am impressed or utterly taken by the College Park area. Also, since my family is right now supported by my income, as my wife is a stay-at-home mom, we can hardly, or simply can't afford to live in the nice parts of College Park or University Park.

We like Frederick to live and buy (we are currently renting) but a couple of people have told me it would be insane to move there and commute to College Park because of the traffic.

A couple of other people have told me it isn't crazy and to just try to make the commute during non-rush hour traffic.

My schedule is flexible to a certain extent, meaning I don't have to be at work at 9 on the dot and can leave when I'm done with classes (I'm a professor). So that would afford me a certain extent of liberty.
I have two small children, and what we like about Frederick is the mid-sized town feel, the historic downtown, the good school system. To me, it's a bit reminiscent of certain parts of Upstate NY.

I would appreciate all your comments and suggestions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 07:35 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbr21 View Post
Is it totally crazy: job in College Park, live in Frederick?
Close to.

Quote:
...simply can't afford to live in the nice parts of College Park or University Park.
The nicer parts of the area will cost you even more.

I blame the employers/recruiters who don't explain these matters
(or pay enough for people to actually afford to live near their jobs).

Old 10-01-2018, 04:30 AM

53 posts, read 73,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbr21 View Post
We like Frederick to live and buy (we are currently renting) but a couple of people have told me it would be insane to move there and commute to College Park because of the traffic.
As you already live in Frederick you know how long the commute it. I expect around 90 minutes each way, right? It is purely a personal choice if that is "crazy" or not. I for one would not live more than 45 minutes from work if there were any other choice - time is precious, especially with kids. I know others who commute 2 hours each way and feel it is worth it.

How much have you looked around the CP area? Greenbelt, Laurel, Bowie etc. are all within easy commuting distance and may have housing that suits your needs. Schools (assuming you want to stick with public ones) can be a challenges, but there some good ones.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:41 PM

833 posts, read 520,527 times
How old are your kids? I think there's a good chance you'll regret the long commute after you realize that 10-15 hours of commuting per week cuts greatly into the time you have with them. I speak from experience. My current commute from the Columbia area to downtown DC is about 1 hour 15 minutes doorstep to doorstep taking the MARC train from Laurel to Union Station, and then Metro-ing over to the Navy Yard. That's 2.5 hours per day...4 days per week (one telework day)...10 hours. At this stage of life, all I really have time for in the evenings is dinner, about an hour of play/reading/TV time with the kids, and then it's bathtime and bed time for them. I commute more time than I get in the evenings with them, which sucks.

What's your budget? A meet-in-the-middle option would be for you to look for a place in Howard County. Are you able to take public transportation, or do you insist on driving? The MARC Camden line stops in College Park, and presumably there is a shuttle from the station to UMD. You could preserve some of the rural feel that you like while not being as far away as Frederick.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:54 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,955 times
It’s hard to say since we don’t know you. Some people have an ability to kind of turn off and go with the flow. Others don’t. I knew a guy who used to drive to the train station to catch a train in Brunswick going to Union Station in DC, transfer to the metro in DC and take it to New Carrollton and then catch a car pool there to take him Annapolis. I would have killed myself. He just seemed to take it as a good way to get to work.

If you don’t get that wound up by congestion and idiocy on the road then go for it. If you wish your car could fire Hellfire missiles when your stuck in traffic, then probably not a good idea for your sanity.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:06 AM

15 posts, read 18,203 times
I completely understand how you feel. I moved to the College Park area from upstate NY too. I wasn't too impressed with the College Park area either. The Frederick area also reminds me of home. The rush hour commute will be terrible and I would not recommend that at all. However, if it seems the bulk of your travel time might be outside rush hour then I don't think it's crazy to consider the move. Another thing to consider is that the purple line is under construction. It will be probably another 5 years at least until it's completed but when it is you could do something like take a bus from Frederick to Shady Grove (I know someone that does this from Frederick), then take metro to Bethesda and then take the purple line over to College Park. It's still a long commute but you won't be driving in terrible traffic. I am not sure if something like that would be good for you, but your commuting options may expand in the not too distant future if you make the move.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:37 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,955 times
You know, I completely forgot about it. This might also help. However, I’ve not traveled the route so if any here have, I yield to their experience. There is a toll road called the inter-county connector that gets close for you. Scroll down at this link destination to see the map.

Intercounty Connector (ICC)/MD 200 | mdta.maryland.gov

Old 10-03-2018, 07:24 PM

789 posts, read 1,095,702 times
There are somewhat affordable commutes in good neighborhoods near College Park that perhaps you haven't considered. Berwyn Heights, Greenbelt, Adelphi, along and east of Riggs Road, the vast majority of New Carrollton and Lanham. But I totally understand your preference for a feeling like you'd get in Frederick.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:26 PM

789 posts, read 1,095,702 times
If living in Maryland has taught us anything, its that your commute will absolutely NOT get any better. Ever.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:24 AM

11 posts, read 7,066 times
I live in Frederick and work in Bethesda near Montgomery Mall. On average, on a good day, it takes me 90 minutes to get to work. It it is raining, about 2 hours. Snowing, forget it! Driving home is usually better though, consistently about an hour. Frederick is a very nice "big" small town. However, it has grown tremendously in the 17 years we've lived here. Traffic is slow and tedious here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick