Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 06:21 AM

7 posts, read 20,752 times

Advertisements

We are flying in from Minneapolis , MN next week to look at houses. We keep coming back to this County when reading . We are looking at homes in Frederick City , Walkersville, and New Market.

Can you tell me your opinions on these cities? You can only read so much .

Are there certain areas to stay away from in Frederick City? I have read both sides of the story online .

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 07:06 AM

710 posts, read 1,300,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefaith View Post
We are flying in from Minneapolis , MN next week to look at houses. We keep coming back to this County when reading . We are looking at homes in Frederick City , Walkersville, and New Market.

Can you tell me your opinions on these cities? You can only read so much .

Are there certain areas to stay away from in Frederick City? I have read both sides of the story online .

Thanks !
Our family moved to Frederick City about 10 months ago from Boulder, CO. and I love living here. We live in Baker Park, which to me is basically as close to downtown as you can get without having to live in downtown Frederick. It's less than a mile to downtown and we walk it a lot. The people are very friendly and nice, which are important things to us and helped us to chose our location.

We love to walk so our neighborhood is perfect for that and being close to Culler Lake is perfect for dog walking.

We decided against moving further out because we didn't want to be driving some distance for just about everything and in the country there aren't too many place to walk our dog, unless you can find a subdivision with sidewalks.

To us either you are urban people, subdivision people or rural people. We are the former.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited by seethelight; 05-23-2011 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 05-23-2011, 03:47 PM

461 posts, read 1,286,969 times
Taxes in Frederick City were pretty high. Maybe now that house values have come down, the taxes have too?

I'd avoid US 40, some of the areas of South Frederick. Otherwise, you should be ok.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:58 PM

7,068 posts, read 11,372,864 times
Frederick County offers a mix of rural, suburban, and urban. I would use the "search forum" option and use the keyword "Frederick." You will find out more than you ever wanted to know about the city and county.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:47 AM

244 posts, read 574,070 times
Westsideboy has a good idea with looking in the forums and seeing what others say.

Walkersville is growing and like Frederick it has some areas that are safer than others. The schools are very good, if you have children. Wegmans (google it if you don't know what it is) is opening next month which will add alot of traffic to the outskirts of the city. If you live in Walkersville, you'd have to drive to Frederick City.

Frederick City has alot of charm, ease of walking and some very nice areas to visit and live in. You may have to google certain streets or community names to see if there has been any crime there or not. The Baker Park area is fantastic, but expensive if I remember correctly. The houses are older and depending on where you live you may be in an 'inner city' school which has it's advantages and disadvantages.

New Market is quaint and is closer to Mt. Airy than Frederick. There are numerous antique stores and an older smaller downtown area. However, you'd have to drive to Mt. Airy, or Frederick, for your Walmart, major grocery store etc.

Frederick City is great if you are young and want the night scene and want to live within walking distance of everything except a major grocery store.

New Market is smaller, a slower and more quaint place to live.

Walkersville is in between and is more spread out than the other places.

Hope this helps?

Maybe go to Wikipedia and look up the places, see if you can get some pictures and some stats on population density, school facts etc.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:12 PM

461 posts, read 1,286,969 times
Lord have mercy, people in Frederick and the surrounding areas are excited about this Wegmans. You would think the Queen of England was moving into the neighborhood! I'll bet it puts the Giant on 26 out of business in the next year.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:54 AM

584 posts, read 1,195,063 times
I was born and raised in Frederick and I can tell you it took me moving away at 19 and then returning quite a few years later to appreciate the area I grew up in. Being so close to Baltimore, Washington DC and other historic places was awesome. The first time my husband took me to a zoo I didn't understand why he was paying for us to get in because the National Zoo was always free so I thought that all zoos were free. So moving away I then learned to appreciate everything I had in my backyard ...zoos, battlefields, musuems, etc.

With that said I don't live in Frederick anymore ... San Antonio, TX is home now but I love coming back to visit. It has grown tremendously over the years but Frederick still has the small town charm in the downtown area. Houses around Baker Park are very nice and it is a nice place to live if you enjoy walking around. My sister lives in Middletown and she really likes it there.

Hope you enjoy Frederick and the surrounding history. Enjoy it all .....

Old 12-05-2011, 06:17 PM

53 posts, read 107,956 times
new market is what i would recomend if you like being around farms and a slower pace walkersville the part nearer to frederick is turning into columbia frederick has a mix of city culture and ways but you are still surounded by farms and country folk such as myself in places like woodsboro, taneytown, mount. airy, thurmont, point of rocks, burketsville etc. and they all have to come into frederick

Old 12-07-2011, 11:54 AM

18 posts, read 41,437 times
Avoid route 40. The rent is cheap for a reason. Be wary of some areas of downtown as well. I found cheap rent in a safe, awesome area called Ballenger Creek. It's minutes from a billion shopping centers and anything else you need and my commute through back roads to Rockville (DC area) isn't bad at all. Scenic and quicker if you avoid the highway.

Walkersville - avoid Discovery. It's right next to Frederick and readily near highways to commute. A lot of nice areas.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:28 PM

4 posts, read 15,533 times
If you're looking to find information about Frederick, MD area music and nightlife, visit:

Frederick Scene - A guide to Frederick, MD area music and nightlife

The site lists performances, events, and activities happening in Frederick and the surrounding areas.

---
Frederick Scene - A guide to Frederick, MD area music and nightlife!
Frederick Scene - A guide to Frederick, MD area music and nightlife
Frederick Scene | Facebook
Twitter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick