Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is FWweekly biased?
Yes, FWweekly is very biased 1 100.00%
Yes, FWweekly is somewhat biased 0 0%
No, FWweekly isn't biased at all 0 0%
No, FWweekly isn't biased, it's just you... 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 09:49 PM

232 posts, read 360,675 times

Advertisements

Have any of you been to FWweekly? May I ask if I am the only one who detects an aggressive bias on the online news site? I literally read 2 articles about developments in Fort Worth, and the dull writer claims that Fort Worth favors "right" sides over lefties (The writer does it indirectly by placing quotations around "right", and if you have been to FWweekly before, you probably are familiar with what I am talking about)

I try to support local newspapers, online sites, businesses, etc. from Ft Worth but this site is really unattractive to me in the form that the writers involve politics in every article! They even claim it as "News" yet they never provide any direct evidence, they just base everything off of their "observations" and even in the comments sections they'll admit that they "can't prove this/that"

Reason why I am writing this, is because I really want to continue using this site (since again it is located in this wonderful city) but I have a hard time dealing with hard headed people from any side (atheist, religious, conservative, liberal, environmental, etc.). I can tolerate bias that is usually dedicated towards an "opinions" section of a newspaper/online news site (like Star-Telegram) but I have a hard time with extreme views that are placed into the news section of the site (News is suppose to contain >what's known< not what >the writer has observed<.)

Yes I understand that I can just stop using the site, but I just want to make sure that I am not the only person who observes this in most articles.

Please read 2-3 articles that are located in the front page so you may see what I am referring to when it comes to the heavy bias.

Last edited by Texan1010; 10-31-2014 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: Was supppose to be a poll but stupid me pressed enter by accident...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 08:05 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1010 View Post
Have any of you been to FWweekly? May I ask if I am the only one who detects an aggressive bias on the online news site? I literally read 2 articles about developments in Fort Worth, and the dull writer claims that Fort Worth favors "right" sides over lefties (The writer does it indirectly by placing quotations around "right", and if you have been to FWweekly before, you probably are familiar with what I am talking about)

I try to support local newspapers, online sites, businesses, etc. from Ft Worth but this site is really unattractive to me in the form that the writers involve politics in every article! They even claim it as "News" yet they never provide any direct evidence, they just base everything off of their "observations" and even in the comments sections they'll admit that they "can't prove this/that"

Reason why I am writing this, is because I really want to continue using this site (since again it is located in this wonderful city) but I have a hard time dealing with hard headed people from any side (atheist, religious, conservative, liberal, environmental, etc.). I can tolerate bias that is usually dedicated towards an "opinions" section of a newspaper/online news site (like Star-Telegram) but I have a hard time with extreme views that are placed into the news section of the site (News is suppose to contain >what's known< not what >the writer has observed<.)

Yes I understand that I can just stop using the site, but I just want to make sure that I am not the only person who observes this in most articles.

Please read 2-3 articles that are located in the front page so you may see what I am referring to when it comes to the heavy bias.
It is an alternative weekly after all. Across the nation, they tend to be slanted to the left.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:17 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,316,643 times
Exactly. It's a free, alternative paper. I don't think it's trying to disguise itself as anything else. You have to take it for what it is. I read it for entertainment, much the same way I watch The Daily Show or The Colbert. Sometimes they are incredibly biased (Keystone pipeline stories or pretty much anything dealing with the environment) and sometimes they do a good job of reporting on stories that are being ignored elsewhere (like the FWISD assistant superintendent whistle blower suit or abuse at the federal prison hospital in FW).

Old 11-03-2014, 05:18 PM

420 posts, read 705,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
Exactly. It's a free, alternative paper. I don't think it's trying to disguise itself as anything else. You have to take it for what it is. I read it for entertainment, much the same way I watch The Daily Show or The Colbert. Sometimes they are incredibly biased (Keystone pipeline stories or pretty much anything dealing with the environment) and sometimes they do a good job of reporting on stories that are being ignored elsewhere (like the FWISD assistant superintendent whistle blower suit or abuse at the federal prison hospital in FW).

This. I read it for entertainment/food reviews and not a lot else. Its slant is obvious, but that's what you get with papers like this or the Dallas Observer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: