Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 07:08 AM

17 posts, read 57,515 times

Advertisements

We are in the "not sure if we are going to be transferred yet, but just in case we are..." stage of looking at Fort Worth , and all of our home searches have led us back to the NW side of town. My husband particularly likes the Resort on Eagle Mountain Lake, Sendera Ranch, Lago Vista at Bonds Ranch. I keep reminding him that newer homes in our price range ($300's) often equal bad commute times, but he is in awe of the homes we have seen online thus far and remains optimistic!

Can anyone give me some approximate commute times from these areas to downtown Ft. Worth? I couldn't find any recent times in my searches of this forum. He tends to leave the house at 6:30AM and come home at 6:30PM, if that helps with the estimates.

Any other suggestions for areas with a decent (Recognized or Exemplary) Elementary School, newer homes in the $300's with big enough backyards for a pool and some grass for play areas, 15-20 minutes to stores/infrastructure, with commutes of about 30 minutes (ideally) downtown? Or am I asking too much?

We are headed up there tonight for a move-unrelated visit and will do some driving around, but any input would be greatly appreciated!

Much thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 07:36 AM

269 posts, read 576,005 times
Depending on where you live, you'll probably be taking I-20/ 820 or even I-30 towards Ft. Worth downtown, you're commute time generally will be around 25 mins if you leave at 6.30am, but expect a longer commute back if leaving at 6.30pm.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:23 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,999,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimboat View Post
We are in the "not sure if we are going to be transferred yet, but just in case we are..." stage of looking at Fort Worth , and all of our home searches have led us back to the NW side of town. My husband particularly likes the Resort on Eagle Mountain Lake, Sendera Ranch, Lago Vista at Bonds Ranch. I keep reminding him that newer homes in our price range ($300's) often equal bad commute times, but he is in awe of the homes we have seen online thus far and remains optimistic!

Can anyone give me some approximate commute times from these areas to downtown Ft. Worth? I couldn't find any recent times in my searches of this forum. He tends to leave the house at 6:30AM and come home at 6:30PM, if that helps with the estimates.

Any other suggestions for areas with a decent (Recognized or Exemplary) Elementary School, newer homes in the $300's with big enough backyards for a pool and some grass for play areas, 15-20 minutes to stores/infrastructure, with commutes of about 30 minutes (ideally) downtown? Or am I asking too much?

We are headed up there tonight for a move-unrelated visit and will do some driving around, but any input would be greatly appreciated!

Much thanks!
The schools in that area are mediocre at best. It's easy under the standards for an elementary to rate well. You get more of a sense of the schools by looking at the HS rating.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:29 AM

Thank you both for your input, it is appreciated. Are there areas, PadCrasher, that you would recommend that have newer homes, better schools and 30 min commutes? We looked at NRH and Keller areas at first, but the commutes, from what I have been reading here, appear to be worse? We aren't interested in a fixer upper or older home with their associated upkeep, so that does dictate our move somewhat, but some idea of general areas that are preferable may help narrow our search. Again, I realize that I may be asking for something that I can't find.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:44 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,999,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimboat View Post
Thank you both for your input, it is appreciated. Are there areas, PadCrasher, that you would recommend that have newer homes, better schools and 30 min commutes? We looked at NRH and Keller areas at first, but the commutes, from what I have been reading here, appear to be worse? We aren't interested in a fixer upper or older home with their associated upkeep, so that does dictate our move somewhat, but some idea of general areas that are preferable may help narrow our search. Again, I realize that I may be asking for something that I can't find.
Aledo and Aledo ISD is the only area I know of that fits. Goods schools, homes in that price range, and commute time.

Personally, I'd buy an older home in Southlake, Trophy Club, Grapevine, or North Keller and drive further. Better schools, more activities, old growth trees , more atmosphere, dining, shopping etc.

If I was single and no kids, I'd buy a ranch style 80's home in Southlake sitting on 1 acre for $300K Paint the brick, like the homes around the TCU area do, put in fresh landscaping. New windows, and update any outdated columns or frilly woodwork in front......Money in the bank. You've gained $100K in house value.

Last edited by padcrasher; 04-20-2012 at 09:00 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 08:59 AM

269 posts, read 576,005 times
I would agree, areas like Southlake, Trophy Club and Keller are the areas where you'll find good school districts with the housing requirements you require as well as good family life. But the commute to downtown FTW will be long!

Aledo is a somewhat outside bet, but probably your best bet outside the FTW city limits. You can also try areas like Mansfield and Burleson, which are East & South of FTW downtown.

I moved from FTW to Keller BTW because of better school districts.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:51 PM

Thanks y'all, you have given me some more areas to think about! Babs, what is the commute from Keller to downtown like (if you and/or spouse do it)?

Old 04-20-2012, 03:30 PM

690 posts, read 1,731,187 times
There is freeway construction on 820 at I35W which affects the commute if you are traveling the path of 35W to downtown dallas. The commute was approx. tops 30 minutes now may be longer in
times of the rush hour commute. I tend to check the different alternative roadways, Beach Streeet to Haltom City Hwy 121; Hwy 26 to Business 10 to Belknap; Hwy 377 southbound through Haltom city; Saginaw: Main Street south to downtown fort worth, Lake Worth: Hwy 199 south to the west side of Downtown Fort Worth.
It all depends where your points of reference are point A to point B.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:51 PM

Thanks y'all....this was extremely helpful info to have over the weekend while looking at communities!

Old 04-25-2012, 11:55 PM

37,313 posts, read 59,971,020 times
there is no way you are getting from Resort at Eagle Mtn to downtown FTW in 30 min

run a Google map search from neighborhoods to your husbands job location and add 15 min
lot of construction going on and I-35 will be under construction within a year probably

you can search exemplary schools at the TEA web site but currently the ratings are frozen for two years--because the state is transitioning to new test STAAR--vs TAKS

it is easier for elementary schools to get exemplary ratings--middle schools are harder--and high schools most difficult--only Southlake Carroll high school has exemplary rating==and not just because of great teaching--has great demographics

if your price point is low 300 I think you will have trouble finding everything you want --
cheap homes usually lack staying power--some of the neighborhoods are having issues with maintaing property values

the areas your husband finds attractive are in locations where there is not great road system--2 lane roads, 4 way stop signs, lots of traffic and some construction--makes commuting slow, crowded, frustrating
plus you would have to drive to get any kind of decent shopping--
google a neighborhood and then search for Target, Walmart, restaurant, dentis--
see what comes up

if your husband wants to spend any time at home he probably needs to consider living closer
Aledo might be option -- schools are decent but there is not much shopping/entertainment-
Aledo is rural/agriculture area with not much "city/town" to it--very spread out--have to drive into FTW for shopping for anything xcept WalMart

would rate schools in NE Tarrant over Burleson
convenient to shopping/parks/hospitals
just not much construction that is new
and RE is not cheap in some ways--you pay for location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth