Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:51 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,377,813 times

Advertisements

my favorite place i will never forget is a place in western Tarrant County-almost Parker County, on Cattlebaron Drive, between White Settlement Road and FM 1886 (Lakeside), called The Cattlebaron's Steakhouse (i think?). i used to live walking distance from it-it was on a dairy farm....big ole red barn...in middle of nowhere.
big buffalo statue inside. pool tables on second floor. sawdust dance floor in the dining area, and large wooden picnic tables inside....very warm, cozy family atmosphere...it's where everyone went for steak and two steppin! they had their own band with fiddlers, older men who called something like "Cattlebaron Boys" who played there every Fri and Sat nite, they played a mean Orange Blossom Special and Wabash Cannonball, and lots of Bob Wills/Texas Swing............gawd, i miss it....those were some great years!
i wonder if it is still around....this was in the late 90's...anyone know? this was the " hidden jewel" of West Ft Worth if there ever was one.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 09:30 AM
hmw

13 posts, read 73,635 times
Unfortunately, it is closed and has been for some time. Mr. Smelley, owner of the dairy and steakhouse, died and the place still stands, but is no longer in operation. It is really sad, cause we loved to go there also.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:54 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,377,813 times
YES! Mr Smelley! How could I have forgotten that name! I remember some of his cows got loose and I had to look his home phone number up in the phone book and call him!
How how sad that it is not in operation anymore. what a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmw View Post
Unfortunately, it is closed and has been for some time. Mr. Smelley, owner of the dairy and steakhouse, died and the place still stands, but is no longer in operation. It is really sad, cause we loved to go there also.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 22,734 times
Unhappy Cattle Baron Steak House

Hi My name is Raul Arellano And I work for Mr Smelley in the Cattlebaron Stk House for 10 years from the beginning to the end ,and I thankyou all for remember those great years. The restaurant was an old barn moved from Mr Smelley uncle Agnes Dairy , Springtown Tx, to Parker Countytx, Mr Richard J Smelley built this place for all those that like Country Music with cozy country family atmosphere and big Texas size Steak 20 Oz porterhouse , 1 pound hamburgers and dont forget the famous Calfrieds or N.Y Oisters. Millie Smelley (Richards wife) frame pictures of many country Stars and Visitors and hang im up on the walls, the Buffalo was full of coins from visitors. Thankyou Mr R.J.Smelley and Family for the great times. Raul Arellano.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:46 PM

3 posts, read 23,735 times
Oh my gosh! This was our family business. Reading all of this is making me so sad. I miss it also and RJ (Mr. Smelley). Lots of people had lots of fun at the Cattlebaron.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 22,734 times
Hi Amy This Is Raul , I Hope You all are well,Me and my family live in Estes Park Co. I hope you and David open the CatlleBaron again, grettings from the rockymountains.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:10 PM

3 posts, read 23,735 times
Hi Raul....Glad to hear your family is well. I bet CO is beautiful right now. So good to hear from you. David would like to reopen the Cattlebaron one day. Who knows!!!

Old 09-26-2009, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 10,554 times
Default RJ Smelley Dairy

I worked at R J Smelley Dairy in the winter of 1978. That was right after I left the US ARMY active and entered the National Guard. It was one of the best times of my life. It was one of the coldest winters ever in Texas. On the way to work one night, I didn't live on the dairy, I slid off the road about a quarter mile from the dairy, in the middle of no where and dark with just the moon and snow reflections, and I left the El Camino up against the fence and walked the rest of the way. The trees were crackling and I picked up a stick thinking I could fight off a coyote if one came alone. Well, nothing happened except a good work out before another good work out on the dairy. I sure do miss the work on the dairy. I used that experience when I applied to vet. school.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 10,433 times
I came upon the building today. We had our graduation party there, but I was never fortunate enough to return. It brought back good memories. I hope the Smelley family is doing well, and bless you all!

Old 10-17-2009, 04:48 AM

1 posts, read 10,538 times
it is still there doing very well , from north ft.worth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth