Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:36 PM

95 posts, read 256,197 times

Advertisements

The commute has to do with how long your husband is willing to be stuck in a car. I work in Las Colinas, but live in Ft. Worth. My shortest commute time has been 30 min in the AM up up to an hour and a half at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 11:21 AM

46 posts, read 82,401 times
Hi guys,

I'm just really thinking aloud here, so my message may seem a bit dis-jointed, but looking on maps Grapevine and Coppell seem reeeeeeally close to DFW Airport?

HamiltonPL, I don't know whether Lakewood is out of our price range, for the really good areas anyway? I think I may be a bit narrow minded, no.... probably worried/scared about the crime, the closer to the city, the more crime? Worried that to get a 'more for your money house' we'd be in the not so good area. I would live nearer the city, I love what the city can offer, but for my home I'd want to be in the best possible area that I could.

Like I said I'm thinking aloud here, so yes...... probably rambling on! lol

Obviously we're going to lease first so we may not have a massive choice, but it has to be right first time because of my kids and school, I don't want to move them twice!!!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:53 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
I recommended Coppell. Sticking with that recommendation. I know the area very, very well. I think it is absolutely nuts to drive from Lakewood to Irving when that great community is right there near work with fabulous schools and no worry about going to DISD high schools. I live 7 miles from the airport and I guess I'm not a good person to comment on that being a problem. It is not for us here in Las Colinas. Haven't known of anyone who has a problem with being near the airport..... are you afraid planes are going to fall on you?

Old 01-03-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I recommended Coppell. Sticking with that recommendation. I know the area very, very well. I think it is absolutely nuts to drive from Lakewood to Irving when that great community is right there near work with fabulous schools and no worry about going to DISD high schools. I live 7 miles from the airport and I guess I'm not a good person to comment on that being a problem. It is not for us here in Las Colinas. Haven't known of anyone who has a problem with being near the airport..... are you afraid planes are going to fall on you?
lol Thanks Squirl No..... I was just thinking of the airplane noise factor?
I am still looking at Coppell, the internet is my best friend at the moment. The people who interviewed my husband don't even live in Texas (they recommended Southlake!) I am working on all the comments on here with regards to research...... your recommendations are the ones I want..... you guys live in the area.

Cupcake77's comments worried me....... you won't like it!!! No quality of life

Old 01-03-2011, 12:17 PM

Forgot to say SafetyGuy....... my husband hates being in traffic!! He tends to call people names.... in the nicest possible way, ofcourse!!!! lol

Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsMum View Post
I am still looking at Coppell, the internet is my best friend at the moment. The people who interviewed my husband don't even live in Texas (they recommended Southlake!) I am working on all the comments on here with regards to research...... your recommendations are the ones I want..... you guys live in the area.

I have been told that far west Coppell is the closest to flight paths. Recommend you stand outside before you sign a lease and hang around for about an hour and count how many airplanes fly over.

Trophy Club is kind of an isolated community, not that suprised Cupcake was unhappy. However, the whole US is pretty much a cultural wasteland. You simply have to make lemonade out of the lemons. We do have wonderful restaurants, tho. You might use the web to look up meetup.com and find local clubs that you might enjoy. Maybe there is one for expats from the UK....

Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 PM

The Dallas British Expats Meetup Group (Addison, TX) - Meetup

Old 01-03-2011, 12:40 PM

There's no doubt about it..... it's gonna be hard! We just have to throw ourselves into the community, WE have to make the effort!! I'm hoping having kids at school will be a big plus, they are very sporty and will want to do every club going, my kids will get me out there!!

Old 01-03-2011, 12:41 PM

Thanks Squirl

Old 01-03-2011, 12:48 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Come ON!!!!
As someone else already mentioned, look on realtor.com over the other real estate sites to get a VERY accurate picture of the real estate here. Much more accurate.

Several places have been mentioned but taking into consideration all of your wants and needs for the family......... stick w/ Coppell. It is a nice community and always has been. Although, it does have a bit more traffic issues than it did when it was much smaller but that just goes w/ growing so much. The schools in Coppell are very good as well and home values in Coppell are strong in your price range. My favorite part of Coppell is an older area of all custom homes on large lots w/ tall mature trees, Northlake Woodlands. If you can find a nice house in there in your price range even though it is older........ it would be a prime place to be in Coppell. These older custom homes were all built by really good reliable builders.

You asked about the middle/intermediate/junior high school question. Most districts have renames all of their "junior high" schools to be called "middle school". Most in the area are 7th-8th grades while some do have them 6th-8th grade. You will not find 9th grade in a middle school. High school is 9th-12th. If you were going to be looking in Plano ISD that is a whole nother ball of wax, lol.

Quote:
Interested to know about the culture shock in Trophy Club? I'm a bit of a sceptic...... expect the worse and I might be pleasantly suprised!!! In what way is Dallas boring? Obviously we have younger kids now, but they'll be teenagers before we know it and I'd want them to be occupied. I have a tennis and a soccer nut, so I'm hoping there will surely be something that fits the bill!?

Hint, Use the little feature to see past posts of people that seem to have a negative attitude towards places. You will see a trend. Some people jsut are not happy much of the time no matter where they are . Others are happy as they can be no matter where they are plopped down on this great earth.

If your kids are in sports then there is no shortage of opportunities for them in this area at all. OH MY GOSH!!! Kids sports and activities in the Dallas and North Texas area are taken seriously. I am not kidding. If your soccer nut wants to live, eat, sleep soccer then they can join a select team and there are PLENTY of those around here. You will be one busy soccer mom if they go that route. Even if they play recreation soccer thru the city league and then once they get into high school the schools around here all have really good soccer teams.

Tennis, another popular sport. Not as popular as soccer with the kids but it is still a very good sport to be involved in here in this area.

Call the city parks and rec departments and ask them about joining on a team.

Quote:

Southlake is just like Plano, Allen, Frisco and McKinney, it is one of those places that most people that never have really been here just automatically recommend without even knowing anyones circumstances. It is not the "right fit" for everyone.

Don't be worried . Most of the people that come here actually like it, enjoy it and make it their home. I've got friends from all over the country and world and they are all happy as they can be here in this area. It is what you make it

Quote:
Forgot to say SafetyGuy....... my husband hates being in traffic!! He tends to call people names.... in the nicest possible way, ofcourse!!!! lol
If that is the case then stick w/ Coppell to be close to Irving and the airport. My husband could not handle a long commute at all and I'd go insane if he did have one. Being super close is all worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth