Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 05:11 PM

455 posts, read 978,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obxnc7 View Post
The first thing you need to do is check schools! They are NOT good here. We moved from up North and our children also went to Catholic school. The Catholic school we enrolled in down here was a far cry from what we were used to. We are in Fort Myers, not Naples. St. Anne's is the Catholic school in Naples. It seems like a good school. In a much better part of town than the one in Fort Myers, but I think you will have a hard time getting them to accomodate a learning disabled child. Most private schools we have looked into down here will not. If you have to rely on public education for your son, I would advise against moving if you are happy with the services he is presently getting. Check schools, and go from there. St. Anne's and Royal Palm Academy ( I think) are the only two Catholic Schools in Naples. Ave Maria would be a bit of a drive from Naples Park, in my opinion. St. John Newman is the Catholic High School.....but from what I understand, most children enrolled in St. Anne's end up going to Naples High.....I hear it is a better choice.......but just what I've heard. Good luck!
My daughter had a Mentally Challenged bff that went to St. Ann's. We were going to enroll her there but moved away. Ooops!!! But she is one of "THEM"!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 05:20 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Naples Park:

This is a mixed income area that is mostly middle to upper middle class. It is one of the oldest neighborhoods outside of Old Naples. During the boom many people tore down modest homes and put up mansions on small lots. Stay away from the duplexes. Convenient to shopping and the beach. Brutal traffic on 41 in season. OTOH I know someone who works at the elementary school there. She said she would never move to Naples Park just based on the kids she sees that live there.

Schools:

My kid went to St Elizabeth Seton and St. John Neumann HS, both in Golden Gate city. I was satisfied with these. The other choices are St Anne, Royal Palm and the school at Ave Maria. The commute will be brutal to any of these except Royal Palm and none provide transportation, AFAIK. I doubt you will get any special services from any of them. If they do go to a Catholic school, they are still eligible to receive services from the public school system, although I can't imagine that would be convenient.

The public schools in FL have a terrible reputation and that includes all of SW Florida. Do not expect the same educational standards as in Ohio. Some are better than others, its not all bad. Research and more research. The other poster is correct, I would consider school zoning then housing.

Housing in Naples:

Stay out of the apartment complexes, they are all ghetto-and across all demographics. There is no reason in this market you could not find a house to rent in a decent neighborhood. North Naples has many good choices. Any of the gated communities are fine as are most other areas in North Naples.

General:

You are in good shape if you have secure employment that pays decent for this area. You can find decent housing. I would consider Bonita Springs or Estero as the commute won't be too bad to Naples Park, especially off season. Fort Myers would be brutal all the way down 41. I don't think the school system will be any better there.

You will see a lot of negative posts about Naples. Many of them will be true. The bottom line is you can do fine here as long as you have realistic expectations of what Naples is-and isn't.

Last edited by RMD3819; 11-07-2009 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: Added info

Old 11-07-2009, 09:52 AM

135 posts, read 407,748 times
If you live in Estero.....you will have a long drive to St. Anne's in Naples. Royal Palm Academy will be closer. We looked into both of these schools. Royal Palm Academy is a small school that is not affiliated with a church. It is a Catholic school, but does not have a chuch backing it. We did not chose it......although it seems like a pretty decent school. They are getting ready to build a new school, but at the time we looked at it, the classes were being held in trailers, and it did not offer enough security for us! Our children would have been out of there before the new school was even built. St. Anne's is a more well established school with a church. It is a fairly large school and in a good part of town.....also an expensive part of town to live in. It also seemed like a good school. I really don't think you will be offered any special services , unless they come through the county public schools like the previous poster said, but you can check. I don't know about St. Elizabeth Seton, as we didn't check it out.

I would be certain your employment is secure and has a good salary with it. Private schools are not cheap down here at all. St. Anne's does offer help with the financial aspect of things if you really need it. They will work with you.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:09 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
No.

Royal Palm is as Obxnc7 described it.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:27 AM

317 posts, read 772,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
So you send your kids to the local Catholic schools. That way you don't have to worry. Did you know that there is a town down there that is completely Catholic? It's called Ave Maria and it was started by the guy that started Domino' Pizza. He created a college there. I would imagine it would be too much of a commute, though.

Anyway, this is the local Catholic high school. This should get you in the right direction. If your husband has a job, then that is half the battle. Right now, you go where you can get a job.

Saint John Neumann High School
St. Andrew's is also a Catholic school - in Cape Coral.

ETA: It looks like you are looking to move to Naples despite the title. Whoops.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:12 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisbjbam View Post
Hello, my family is looking to relocate to the southwest part of Florida probably in the next couple of months. My husband has received a job offer to relocate down there and we want to make sure if he does take the position that we are moving in the right area.
We now live in the Eastern suburbs of Cleveland, Ohio, we grew up here and never left. We have four children 9,4,2, and a 6 month old. Our children go to catholic school up here and we want to continue that education. Also, is there any recreational activities: football and baseball for the kids? That is what they are into! We really don't want to move into any bad parts down there b/c we don't want to subject our children to that lifestyle. I am a protective parent!!!
I have been searching on the internet for the past couple days and found nice homes to rent but i don't know what areas are bad (like cleveland) and the good ones! I know to stay out of apartment complex's b/c of all the hispanics and we were told just not to go near them! please help us!
To Morrisbjbam,

First, welcome to the forum. The replies thus far have been gracious. It is not wise to make racial remarks here.......it is against the Terms of Service here. There are good and bad folks everywhere of every race. The fact simply is that South Florida has a significant Hispanic population. That is just a fact.....no opinion attached to it. I do not know what you were trying to stay away from, apartment complexes or Hispanics, but it was a poor choice of words.

Good luck in your move.
Since you have not posted in weeks, I will close this thread.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area