Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2006, 07:23 PM

44 posts, read 289,625 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are wanting to move to Flordia, due to the type of work he does, we need to move in the Southwest region. I know that it can get expensive, but we already live in a very pricey town on Long Island, where taxes alone can run us $15000,00 a year,if we are lucky, not to mention high gas prices, should I go on?

We are planning on renting for the first year, to makes sure that this is really where we want to settle. We are a middle class family on a middle class budget.
I am want to know which schools are better?

Night life/entertainment, I dont want to get stuck an hour away from a good eating establishment.

Should we look into living in a gated community?

Also, I am concerned with the price of utilities. We pay over 300 a month here, just for lights, we have no central heat or air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 08:13 AM

60 posts, read 285,145 times
I live in NY also, am getting ready to move next year to Naples. I bought a condo a long time ago in North Naples. Naples is expensive, prices for food,gas and restaurants are very much like NY. If you are used to the strip malls of Long Island,crowds & traffic, Naples or North Naples, you will feel very much at home. BTW Naples has plenty of very good restaurants.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:18 AM

159 posts, read 551,593 times
Default LI to Fl

I also am a transplant from Long Island for 52 years there. Last home was in Centereach for 15 years.

I bought in Cape Coral 4 1/2 years ago, live on a canal that has sailboat( no bridges or lifts) to the Gulf f Mecico. I just moved down full time 7/05/

Things are starting to really grow in this area especially with the brand new airport in Ft Myers.

The only thing I could suggest is to come down and rent a home/condo for a few weeks to a month and look at all the areas. After Easter would be the best time for that type of rental

www.vrbo.com: (broken link) is a good place to start ( vacation rental by owner)

Are you looking for waterfront property?

Electric rates are a lot cheaper here but water is very expensive, food is about the same so I consider that one a wash.

There is another thread here about Cape Coral further down the page and lots of good info.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:25 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,997 times
Have enjoy visiting several friends who have moved to Naples. Others own second homes there. All love it, and very happy there. Some work, some are retired - all enjoy the active lifestyle they have found there.

We spent time recently in a condo in The Vineyards community. OMG, is it ever gorgeous! We chatted with some neighbors who were from Long Island, as well as NJ, PA, WV, IL, WI, - people have moved there from all over. I can see why people call Naples "paradise."

Old 12-14-2006, 10:52 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,269,134 times
I'm happy to hear that. We're moving from northern New York to N. Ft. Myers this coming fall. I'd love to hear anybody's comments on the area, particularly if you know of Pine Lakes/Lake Fairways.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:28 PM

60 posts, read 285,145 times
My condo is near the Vineyards. When I open the front door you look straight thru the livingroom and lanai at a 2 mile fresh water lake. You could fish Bass, parasail or go canoeing. I could see the lake from almost every room, and the sunsets are breathtaking. It is one of the largest lakes in the North Naples area. They run from$200K to $400k. It depends on what you want. They have condos and single family homes, some the lake (more expensive), least expensive are not facing the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area