Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 01:24 PM

41 posts, read 305,382 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Fort Myers Beach. We'd like to find a duplex or house with in-law suite so that my parents could be close by.

Is there anything we should be aware of in regards to crime, traffic, any basic downsides to it? Opinions are appreciated... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 03:26 PM

21 posts, read 81,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL80 View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to Fort Myers Beach. We'd like to find a duplex or house with in-law suite so that my parents could be close by.

Is there anything we should be aware of in regards to crime, traffic, any basic downsides to it? Opinions are appreciated... Thanks!
I vacation on Ft. Myers Beach usually after Easter and I love it for a week or two.The locals tell me during peak times the traffic on the island is terrible.They say it can take 2 hours to get off the 7 mille long island.This would get old in a hurry for me.

That said the island seems to be pretty self sufficent having most things you need.Although I never looked into medical related needs.

I also ran into a few people who claim other parts of Florida can`t compete with living in Ft. Myers Beach.

If I was going to move that way I`d probably set my sites on Bonita Springs or Naples area where you`d get more for your money housewise but still be close to the gulf and the beaches.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:00 AM

172 posts, read 945,725 times
Traffic is terrible during season. It's been Spring Break for the last few weeks and I've been avoiding that beach like the plague. Even out of season you have to deal with people cruising the strip on Friday and Saturday nights.

Another downside is if there is another hurricane, you will be evacuated and not be let back into your home for days. Well, if the island sustains damage , you won't be let back on.

That being said, I'd jump at the chance of living on the beach. I love it out there.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:27 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,678 times
I was passing through a few days back and was amazed at how great it looked. Strong turquois color to the water.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:29 PM

25 posts, read 142,270 times
High home prices, traffic, city council are not friendly to business owners (and seem to have left their brains at the bridge). However, the water is great, nice sand, and friendly people.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 5,100 times
I am from Ohio and have lived here 5 1/2 years, and have moved 4 times each time getting closer and closer to the beach and now I live on the bay side and love it, even during season and springbreak. You learn when to leave and the beach is small enough that you can ride a bike to most anything you may need and peddle right by the traffic. There is a CVS, a movie theatre, grocery, hardware, gift shops galore, McDonalds, Subway, and a vast array of resturants, from Italian to Chinese, a library, coffee shop, fishing pier, hotels a grade school, a waterpark (small but nice, baseball fields and plenty of nightlife. You can go to a different part of the beach daily. From very crowded to secluded, its enjoyable just going over the bridge and the sunsets are unlike anything I have ever witnessed. Cape Coral does nothing for me.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:54 PM

222 posts, read 500,902 times
The traffic is horrible 9 months out of the year. That fact keeps you from enjoying life off the beach. If you want to go off the beach for shoping ( clothes or a Lowes type of store), to visit friends or an airport run, in season it will take you anywhere from 1 to 2 hours to get off and then another 1-2 hours get back on.
You hardly ever hear about crime on the beach, besides college kids getting busted for drinking, because it is a tourist island and crime is mostly hidden from the public.
House prices are high for the type of house you get because you are paying for being an island resident. You can move right off the beach and get twice the house for a lessor price.
When Hurricane Charlie came, all beach residents were kept off the island for 5 days. The communication was horrible and no one knew whether they had a house or not, very nerve wracking. It took 5 days for the city to remove the sand from the roads, repair the streets and repair sewers. The whole water system on the island is old and falling apart. And this hurricane was not a direct hit !
Many homes get flooded just with a tropical storm so be careful where you buy.
It is a small community with small community values... example... people helping people.
It is a great island because you are so close to the Gulf of Mexico, but I don't miss living there and I was there for many years.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:18 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellsandwater View Post
The traffic is horrible 9 months out of the year. That fact keeps you from enjoying life off the beach. If you want to go off the beach for shoping ( clothes or a Lowes type of store), to visit friends or an airport run, in season it will take you anywhere from 1 to 2 hours to get off and then another 1-2 hours get back on.
You hardly ever hear about crime on the beach, besides college kids getting busted for drinking, because it is a tourist island and crime is mostly hidden from the public.
House prices are high for the type of house you get because you are paying for being an island resident. You can move right off the beach and get twice the house for a lessor price.
When Hurricane Charlie came, all beach residents were kept off the island for 5 days. The communication was horrible and no one knew whether they had a house or not, very nerve wracking. It took 5 days for the city to remove the sand from the roads, repair the streets and repair sewers. The whole water system on the island is old and falling apart. And this hurricane was not a direct hit !
Many homes get flooded just with a tropical storm so be careful where you buy.
It is a small community with small community values... example... people helping people.
It is a great island because you are so close to the Gulf of Mexico, but I don't miss living there and I was there for many years.
Dead. On.

First I thought of: "well, it looks like you just missed Charley." That was not fun for FMB or Sanibel or Captiva. The local NBC affiliate took a helicopter and slowly flew around so people could see how much damage there was to their homes because they were not letting anyone on or off any of the islands.

And yes, there is a lot of drug crime on FMB. They keep it quiet.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:32 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,151 times
There is very little crime on FMB due to the fact that there is no way that bad guys can get away due to heavy traffic and only one road on and off the island.Crime is limited to people peddling dope and a domestic assault now and then.Crimes against strangers are very rare.
We go there a lot but wouldn't want to live there due to heavy traffic.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:55 AM

964 posts, read 2,064,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
There is very little crime on FMB due to the fact that there is no way that bad guys can get away due to heavy traffic and only one road on and off the island.Crime is limited to people peddling dope and a domestic assault now and then.Crimes against strangers are very rare.
We go there a lot but wouldn't want to live there due to heavy traffic.
Usually I goodnaturedly laugh at SW Florida's definition of traffic as my own up in the NE is so much worse. However, everything everyone said about FMB traffic is dead on. Nightmare. A poster did say you could get around on a bike and that's true, but to get off the island for anything would be a major trip time-wise. Now, if you had a boat, you could do what the ferry-goers do that live / work on Connecticut / Long Island: Have 2 cars - One of the CT side and one on the LI side.

G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area