Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 09:39 PM

31 posts, read 69,385 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a possible move to Cape Coral and have two children, one in elementary and the other in middle school. As I'm planning ahead, which are the best high schools in the Cape?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,860 times
My family is in the same boat. We are moving to FL over the summer. I am hearing mixed reviews on the area. I have heard there are some big differences between Lee County and Collier county schools. I am leaning towards Cape Coral too but would love to hear some more info on the school systems in the area. I guess I am also confused with the "school choice" option. Can we pick what school we want our kids to go to and drive them there?

Sorry I am not really answering your question but kind of tagging along. Good luck with your moving decisions!

Old 01-02-2014, 06:31 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,090,272 times
when I was looking to relocate there schools were my number 1 priority from my research my top choices for schools were all in SW Cape Coral,,, Gulf, Oasis, Trafalgar and Christa Mccauliff . If I was unable to get any of these then I was going to go Cape Christian academy. As far as high schools go I only had young kids at the time so I didn't research them as much.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:12 PM

17 posts, read 58,937 times
I just moved here and was fortunate to have a friends sister give me recommendations, she is a middle school teacher here...I will pass on the info to you...and her advice...
1. Oasis Charter (limited bussing)
2. Challenger
3,4,5 all equally the same according to her
3. Gulf
4. Diplomat
5. Trafalger
6. Caloosa
last last last Mariner!
she did not recommend the school she teaches as #1 and I felt she was very hinest with me. My son didn't get into his 1 or 2 choice and Oasis was out because of our location, but he has adjusted to the school and loves it, I have no complaints as a parent with the school

Old 01-02-2014, 09:40 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbyrd77 View Post
My family is in the same boat. We are moving to FL over the summer. I am hearing mixed reviews on the area. I have heard there are some big differences between Lee County and Collier county schools. I am leaning towards Cape Coral too but would love to hear some more info on the school systems in the area. I guess I am also confused with the "school choice" option. Can we pick what school we want our kids to go to and drive them there?

Sorry I am not really answering your question but kind of tagging along. Good luck with your moving decisions!
School "Choice" has been renamed (more appropriately) as School Assignment. Back in the day - segregation was huge and Lee County was mandated by the feds to equal out the segregation. So, now we have zones in which you chose your "choice" but it boils down to enrollment, proximity, and other things like waivers for teachers to have their kids in the same school / zone. For example if the teacher lives in North Fort Myers but teaches in a south zone school - the kid could go to that south zone school.

When I first applied to the district, I saw an elementary school bus schedule that had kids on the bus for close to 2 hours.

Due to budget cuts and the mandate expiring, the district is looking at other viable busing options. Either way it will be a cluster.... to get it more manageable. By the way - we do not have neighborhood / city schools. Just because you live in the Cape (especially in the north end) you may not go to a Cape school - you could be going to a school in N. Fort Myers.

More information about the zones and how to go about registering: Welcome - Student Assignment

Old 01-04-2014, 07:57 PM

21 posts, read 49,142 times
K-8 is North Fort Myers Academy for the Arts. It's not in a great neighborhood but is in the top 3 rated schools of the county every year. Administration there is very good! They have been an "A" school for several years in a row as well as one of the premier arts program in the county. High School- North High hands down. Ida Baker and Mariner are good too. It depends what your kid wants to do. Mariner is the STEM magnet, Baker is industrial Magnet and North is the Arts magnet as well as having the Cambridge program if you choose to go that route. The only school I'd consider questionable is Island Coast High. If you parent your children, you won't have an issue with any of those schools you won't be able to handle.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:38 AM

260 posts, read 562,928 times
The only public High School I would consider sending my kids to in Lee County would be Fort Myers HS. Other than that, I would consider Bishop, ECS or relocation.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:53 PM

21 posts, read 49,142 times
Bishop Verot…..private….Catholic…..and FULL of DRUGS! ECS judgemental bible thumpers and also just as expensive. Those schools are No better. Ft. Myers is however a great school but as all schools, has its issues. Again it comes down to PARENTING your children! If you stay involved, doesn't matter what school your jid goes to, they will be fine. We have friends who's twins go to the worst school in the county as far as expulsions and test scores (East Lee County High) and both their kids are going to Ivy league schools. But if you want to spend 14K/yr and pretend your kids are getting the best education anywhere around, might as well add Canterbury to the mix! LOL. No school in S.W Fl has metal detectors to get in so even the lower graded schools aren't that bad.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:34 AM

10 posts, read 16,091 times
My daughter is at Cape High and was in the AP program now in the IB program... both are pretty good from what I can see.. it is an "A+" school again this year.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:06 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,090,272 times
http://www.news-press.com/article/20...chools-C-grade interesting enough the newspress just had an article of a national education group ranking Florida schools at #5 in the country. Whenever I see rankings I'm always suspicious because the rankings could be based on things like food quality or amount of recess, hours of gym class. but this particular ranking had florida ranked high in student achievement and curriculum. Where florida ranked real low is amount of dollar spent on schools.

Last edited by nhkev; 01-10-2014 at 07:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area