Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 AM

5 posts, read 34,425 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have been looking at other threads and have a few questions on how to proceed with my relocation. I live in PA now and am unemployed. My husband has a good job here, but our hearts have always belonged to Florida- some hate it, we love it. We feel, even with alot stacked against us (economy and all,) that this is a good time to make the move. We have settled on Fort Myers because we do like the area and love the proximity to Sanibel. Some people have said that you need to have local contacts to move- I do have a contact, but they are not close contacts at all so I feel uncomfortable asking them for help. We know someone in Orlando and I have family in Lake Worth although again, we are not close with anyone. We are thinking we want to move in steps, meaning send me down to find a job and get a place to live and then get our house sold and move my husband down (simply because he does have a good paying job to help with some of the expenses of the move.) We can't put our house on the market yet because we are finishing a remodel (hopefully done within the next month or 2.) If we really want to be in Fort Myers, does it make sense to try to first relocate to Orlando or Lake Worth- won't in be almost as difficult to move cross state?

Also, the job situation- I am able to do lots of different things, from office work, medical office work, retail, massage therapy, teach massage therapy, hell I was even an engineer for years. I know the market is not looking good, but would it help to contact a staffing agency? So far, I'm not having much luck with putting these pieces together. Any advice on any of these issues to help put me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all for your time!!!!

We have been to Orlando many times and like it, but it is a little bigger area than what we would like to live. We also love St. Augustine, but realized it meant we would have to work in Jacksonville which we aren't excited about a daily commute. We love Bonita Springs too!

Last edited by sunbabe73; 01-08-2013 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,096,251 times
why not have husband keep his good job and just vacation in ft myers more often?

Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,459,360 times
Where ever you secure a job... go there.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM

Husband's job is very good for pay, but horrible for trying to take time off, we do visit Florida every chance we have, but it is still only a couple times a year. Depending on the job I have it may be hard to manage.... my last job was also impossible to take vacation. We have thought about that before and it is actually why we are still in PA.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 AM

693 posts, read 2,014,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbabe73 View Post
Hello,
I have been looking at other threads and have a few questions on how to proceed with my relocation. I live in PA now and am unemployed. My husband has a good job here, but our hearts have always belonged to Florida- some hate it, we love it. We feel, even with alot stacked against us (economy and all,) that this is a good time to make the move. We have settled on Fort Myers because we do like the area and love the proximity to Sanibel. Some people have said that you need to have local contacts to move- I do have a contact, but they are not close contacts at all so I feel uncomfortable asking them for help. We know someone in Orlando and I have family in Lake Worth although again, we are not close with anyone. We are thinking we want to move in steps, meaning send me down to find a job and get a place to live and then get our house sold and move my husband down (simply because he does have a good paying job to help with some of the expenses of the move.) We can't put our house on the market yet because we are finishing a remodel (hopefully done within the next month or 2.) If we really want to be in Fort Myers, does it make sense to try to first relocate to Orlando or Lake Worth- won't in be almost as difficult to move cross state?

Also, the job situation- I am able to do lots of different things, from office work, medical office work, retail, massage therapy, teach massage therapy, hell I was even an engineer for years. I know the market is not looking good, but would it help to contact a staffing agency? So far, I'm not having much luck with putting these pieces together. Any advice on any of these issues to help put me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all for your time!!!!

We have been to Orlando many times and like it, but it is a little bigger area than what we would like to live. We also love St. Augustine, but realized it meant we would have to work in Jacksonville which we aren't excited about a daily commute. We love Bonita Springs too!
Leaving a place with a good job without having a good job lined up in the place you are moving to is not even a bad idea, it is horrible, especially with the job market here. If you are unemployed in PA what makes you think you will be able to find a job here? I would not leave PA unless you both have employment here, it is very hard to come by for most people.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:37 PM

374 posts, read 796,888 times
You would be crazy to leave an area where you hubby has a good job. You know "good" jobs are hard to come by.... especially in Ft. Myers. I LOVE Ft. Myers and hate PA (where I currently live) but I am established here in PA, so I did the next best thing a bought a condo in Florida. I travel down 4-5 times a year and because my place is an investment property, all my travel expenses are write offs.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 20,353 times
My family is in the same situation, we are also in PA and looking to relocate to cape coral area. we are in the process of finishing up a few home improvement projects so we can get top dollar out of our home before we move we are planning to make the move with in the neext few mths. we are going in blind. we have never been to cape coral area. we have heard good and bad things about it. we have been to Fl a few times and found a few areas that we liked but we want more of the beach life... I am currently unemployed my wife has an ok job it pays good but she hates it and is ready to quit we need a change. we have done weel this far in life and we figure this is our best time to pack up and start over new in a beeter location. so FL here we come.

so any pointers for us would also be helpful. we have a friend or too in fl some in seabring, tampa, deland, miami. we have been too all of those cities and didnt fall in love. we liked deltona and deland but it is too far north for my wife (she wants tropical) we cant afford the keys so the next best thing is southern Fl. we plane to rent for atleast a year and then to buy once we get jobs and find the right area of cape coral. we just want a change of of everything...

Old 01-13-2013, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 20,353 times
and too top it off we have nothing keeping us here in PA. my family is over an hr away her family is all gone, my real friends are Hrs away so we dont get to see them that offten we just have our co workers and neighbors and new friends.. not enough to keep us here

Old 01-13-2013, 06:00 PM

254 posts, read 434,067 times
Just do it. Moving to Orlando first isn't going to help you find some thing in fort myers. It's a minimum 3 hour drive each way. IMO a bit much for job interviews, home searches, etc.

Do your research, rent a place. Get your husband down here. Buy a house. Live happy.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 AM

I appreciate all of the comments. We know it will be very difficult and most comments confirmed that- which is good to know up front. Most of the comments have been that we shouldn't do it or just vacation more/buy vacation property. It's not possible- my husband can not take time off easily. His job is what has kept us here so many years sometimes without a vacation at all for years. He will be keeping his job during my transition down there, if it is too difficult- I will come back and we will try again another time. We are not stupid enough to drop everything and go down without some kind of plan and back up plan. Guess I will keep going along with my own research on areas to live and places to look for work.

I sincerely thank everyone for their time and comments.

(Thank you to GRNDHOG for saying positive things about people wanting to follow their dreams! Much appreciated!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area