Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 03:16 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,359,314 times

Advertisements

Advertising locally to attract outside business to come to Cape Coral.
It does not get more idiotic than this. City Counsel is totally incompetent, they do not think for one minute before doing something totally stupid.

Billboard campaign announces Cape Coral is 'open for business'
Billboard campaign announces Cape Coral is 'open for business' - cape-coral-daily-breeze.com | News, sports, community info. - Cape Coral Daily Breeze

"None of those total impressions will be in Cape Coral, since billboards are not allowed by the city.

Sullivan doesn't see that as a problem.

"The object is to let people outside of Cape Coral know. We already know, they don't," Sullivan said. "The signs would be wasted in Cape Coral."

There is no one in Lee County that has a business that does not know about The City of Cape Coral, that is why they have their business elsewhere.
The stupid rules and regulations is what is keeping them away.
The object should be to attract outside business as in OUTSIDE LEE COUNTY. but here also The stupid rules and regulations is what is keeping them away. This is the most incredibly moronic idea I have ever seen anywhere.
The only thing this will accomplish is that somebody is going to get tax payer money for useless advertising.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 08:29 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,471,322 times
Lamar Advertising is donating the billboard space.

They are trying to catch the eye of business owners that come here on vacation. Yes, it would be great to advertise somewhere else in the country but hey, this is free. Maybe you would like to give some money to advertise in Silicon Valley?

Old 09-24-2012, 03:45 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,757,640 times
Maybe Lamar is figuring a back door deal to get on the good side of city council so they can hit 'em up for exclusive rights to the first billboards in the Cape......or maybe not.

Just my conspiratorial "spidey" sence tingling there for a moment.

YC.......

Old 09-24-2012, 06:56 PM

260 posts, read 565,584 times
I disagree...

The most idiotic thing I see in Cape Coral is the bumper stickers that tell you to " buy in the Cape". They almost always are on vehicles that were purchased at dealerships in Fort Myers.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:36 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,364,101 times
I agree with Hik. But I know an even better free way to advertise for new business to relocate here:
Best Places to Start a Business | Best Place to Live in Florida | Cape Coral, FL
The internet.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Maybe Lamar is figuring a back door deal to get on the good side of city council so they can hit 'em up for exclusive rights to the first billboards in the Cape......or maybe not.

Just my conspiratorial "spidey" sence tingling there for a moment.

YC.......
I think that Billboards are the least affective advertising available.
I know I have never bought anything because it was advertised on a billboard.
When I lived in CA they had adds on the TV on how business friendly Michigan, NY and all kinds of other places were. Never did a city advertise within the county to try and attract business.
EVERYBODY that is in business in Lee County knows why their business is not in Cape Coral, the first thing you hear when talking about the different areas is "stay out of CC they are completely nuts, and the rules and regulations are totally ridiculous.

That is what I HEAR ALL OVER, A COUPLE OF BILL BOARDS WONT CHANGE THAT, and outside business does their own research, with the rules and taxes they have here CC never makes it past the first screening, One Look at CC and they remove it from the list.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:27 PM

964 posts, read 2,071,139 times
Again, it's FREE and a way to say that things are changing with the new city management. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen, but I remain optimistic. You should try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
I think that Billboards are the least affective advertising available.
I know I have never bought anything because it was advertised on a billboard.
When I lived in CA they had adds on the TV on how business friendly Michigan, NY and all kinds of other places were. Never did a city advertise within the county to try and attract business.
EVERYBODY that is in business in Lee County knows why their business is not in Cape Coral, the first thing you hear when talking about the different areas is "stay out of CC they are completely nuts, and the rules and regulations are totally ridiculous.

That is what I HEAR ALL OVER, A COUPLE OF BILL BOARDS WONT CHANGE THAT, and outside business does their own research, with the rules and taxes they have here CC never makes it past the first screening, One Look at CC and they remove it from the list.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:53 AM

Watching TV today and yesterday I saw a commercial that is advertising for business to come to NH of all places.
Somebody needs to tell the fearless incompetent leaders at city hall that that is the way to do it. You advertise outside the state to bring new business to the area, not like they do here slap a couple of billboards up along the roads in Lee County to try and attract NEW business to Cape Coral.

But I still wonder why anybody would want to leave the state of FL to Move to NH, tis a mystery to me.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I still wonder why people do not enjoy sticking hot, rusty forks into their various orifices, but somehow there is a hi-percentage of people who won't take the plunge

Can you PM me when you get it figgered ?
You will probably figger it out before I do, I can't say that it is a priority in my life.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:54 PM

176 posts, read 440,435 times
Some facts about billboard advertising:

- Outdoor advertising is the oldest and most basic type of advertising.
- Billboards reach 93% of all Americans. Television commercials (which ranks #1) reach 94% of all Americans.
- Billboards send people subliminal messages. With this in mind, it is possible for someone to think they viewed a commercial on TV when they really viewed a billboard advertisement!
- There are approximately 53% more automobiles over the past 30 years.
- The average person must see a television commercial at least seven times before they actually remember viewing the commercial. Now think about the expense.
- More people can view one particular billboard than the super-bowl!
- Billboards are viewed 24 hours a day 7 days a week by thousands of different people in your specific locale.
- Outdoor advertising costs 80% less than television advertising, 60% less than newspaper ads, and 50% less than radio advertisements.
- The number of traveling and household vehicles has risen six times faster than the population rate.
- The average American drives 54 minutes every day for a total of 302 miles per week!
- Studies show that people glance at 70% of the billboards they pass. Of these billboards. 63% are actually read. Most other types of media cannot compare to this.

In 2011 6.4 billion was spent on billboard advertising, the second highest since 2007 when approximately 7 billion was spent. Ask your self, if billboards are not effective, why do Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, etc use them.

For the Council to get this free advertising is very smart move. At least we have some folks in Town Hall thinking outside the box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area