Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 08:47 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,901,232 times

Advertisements

It is kind of strange to be asking questions about FMB because I was raised there. We lived on San Carlos Island for about 6 months every winter in the 50's, but then we moved into town when I started junior high.

I have only been back a couple times since 1970.

I understand the area around the pier is called Times Square. It is 'seedy' or 'earthy' or 'middle class touristy' or, God forbid, 'upscale'?

We would stay for at least a week. It would be nice to find a place that is comfortable to hang out and where we could walk around. Then we could take day trips to Sanibel, Bunch Beach, and Lovers Key.

I also want to walk around San Carlos Island. According to Google maps, the 'fort' we used to play in is still there. I think it was the entrance way to a land development in the 1920's that went bankrupt.

Would a rental condo near the pier be a good idea?

Or would you recommend staying at the south end of the island?

I am 65, my wife is 60, and we will probably come in May.

Is there any place that plays music?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Bob

Last edited by hiker45; 01-13-2011 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 07:51 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,877,895 times
Hiker,we're in our 60's and love hanging out at the beach.Sure,it's touristy,but still fun.The food is surprisingly good at cafe's in the square.You can also drive or take the trolley to Bostitch (sp ?) beach at the end of the island.We like it because it is more secluded,nice calm swimming and fun to watch all the boats going in and out.
We have a home in CC so I can't tell you about hotels and such....I'd go on line for that.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the comments, Sam.

I'm glad to hear you and your wife like "hanging out" at the Square because that's what we like to do. I recall going there with my girlfriend to try one of the new exotic foods - a pizza! It was delicious.

At least it was new to south Florida. I guess we were not as civilized as New York.

Bowditch Beach is where our parents would take us to swim around 1950. I recall a place that looked like that little hook of land at the very end of the beach. They must have liked it because the extremely calm water was safer for us little kids. On the map, it looks even better now that it has been made into a park. I'm glad to hear that it is still a nice place to go.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:02 PM

357 posts, read 784,203 times
[quote=hiker45;17408316]Thanks for the comments, Sam.

I'm glad to hear you and your wife like "hanging out" at the Square because that's what we like to do. I recall going there with my girlfriend to try one of the new exotic foods - a pizza! It was delicious.

At least it was new to south Florida. I guess we were not as civilized as New York.

Bowditch Beach is where our parents would take us to swim around 1950. I recall a place that looked like that little hook of land at the very end of the beach. They must have liked it because the extremely calm water was safer for us little kids. On the map, it looks even better now that it has been made into a park. I'm glad to hear that it is still a nice place to go.[/quote]

It's still very nice. Sometimes you can go there and be the only one on the beach... although people love to fish off the bridge.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:19 PM

Where would you stay at FMB for a week?

Near the pier or in one of the condos at the south end of the beach?

Old 01-18-2011, 03:50 PM

106 posts, read 165,931 times
We have stayed at both the south end at "The Gull Wing" and near Times Square at the "Best Western Beach Resort", both great places! The Gull Wing rooms were much larger but the Best Western had their pool right on the beach, much closer to the room. We loved staying near Times Square as we could walk to most places we enjoyed, especially if we were drinking! Depending on the time of year, the traffic up to time Square from the south end can be a real pain!

Old 03-01-2011, 06:59 PM

152 posts, read 357,520 times
most place on the beach have a one month rental. the only one i found to do weekly was EBTC (estero beach and tennis club). south end near the marina. check vrbo.com, they have alot of weekly rentals from private owners.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:01 PM

664 posts, read 1,028,821 times
There are many condos that rent by the week. The Edison Beach condos are close to TS. My friend stayed at Estero Beach condos close to the Pink Shell Beach Resort. The Capers is also a nice property not far from TS. I have rented mid-island at Smugglers Cove and Pointe South on a weekly rental. I suggest you check out www.homeaway.com & www.gulfcoastalrentals.com. We like TS sitting around people watching. There are many restaurants in the TS area. The beach is much wider south-island near Santini Plaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area