Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:15 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,093,244 times

Advertisements

if you think Nancy is argumentative, just you wait. There is a reason why there are people from Tenn, mass, nh, nh, ny all on this board. This is by far the most interesting board I have seen.

What you said in your post isn't a whole lot different than what a lot of others have said before, others may have suggested in a more subtle way. I think it was stahlkd's approach that I liked.... he got the job offer first before boasting about how easy it is to get a job.

I asked the question a little more subtle..... why is there so many people on the board saying they are relocating to the area because they got a job? Even when My wife was being relocated there were 2 open positions in her company that had been open for a long time. I could have gotten a job with a former employer for a very good job.... but it was in Sarasota not Ft Myers.

Anywho,
We could have transfered anywhere in the US and Cape Coral was Number 1 on my list and Mass was number 1 on my wife's.... you can see how that worked out for me. One reason I went along with it, is because I did have some hesitation about having 2 young kids and the size and reputation of the schools (whether deserved or not).

If you're young and have some family in the area, have been around before and know the pros and cons then why not. There's a lot more than just statistics, personally I don't care if las vegas was #10 on the list and the Cape was #1 I really like it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 07:27 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,935 times
I'd get heck if I'd done it any other way

Old 11-09-2010, 07:37 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
When I was in my 40s, I sold or gave away whatever I couldn't fit in my Honda Accord, drove to Florida, and I never looked back. It's very different when you don't have other responsibilities like children or a sick family member. So I agree that if rock.city isn't quitting a job to move to SWFL, then he really has nothing to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Nancy has been looking for a job, like a lot of people in the area, and it is not easy.
Thanks. You are very kind and I appreciate your post defending my comments. However, I have not been actively looking for a job. Of course I need to get back to work one of these days, but I am dealing with some personal medical problems now.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:34 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,935 times
OP, what job field are you looking at for the area?

Old 11-09-2010, 08:38 PM

20 posts, read 35,613 times
I'm not really looking for a job. I'm a small business owner. I work for myself. But if I were to look for employment, I would be looking in sales and marketing.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:39 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
You only have one life, get out of that gravel pit, and come to Florida. As bad as the job situation is, in Vegas it is much worse. So, come and be ready to find a job. Good luck to you. I left everything when I moved, don't miss anything. You can get an air mattress for pretty cheap, a table and chairs at Salvation Army, I furnished my house for less than $200, dishes and everything...I went to a few yard sales.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:43 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock.city View Post
I'm not really looking for a job. I'm a small business owner. I work for myself. But if I were to look for employment, I would be looking in sales and marketing.
If you are aggressive and not afraid to cold call, you might do very well in Florida, although right now the economy is really lousy. I'm not the best salesperson in the world, and I made a lot of money during the housing boom. However, if you are young and healthy, you might always wonder "What if?" and as Helen Keller said

" Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."

By the way, if you come on too strong & act arrogant as you did in your first post, you won't do well selling to the older, conservative folks down here. When I learned to shut up and ask questions, I began to make a lot more money and get referrals. Just my humble opinion, for what it's worth. I wish you a lot of success. You just might be one of the fortunate ones who prosper.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:28 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock.city View Post
So I've had my fill of this dump of a town. It's number one in the country for all the worst reasons. Foreclosures, unemployment, etc. You name it, Vegas sucks for it.

So I'm going to relocate. As of Dec. 2nd, I'm jumping in my SUV, and I'm driving down with my girlfriend. I don't see how Ft. Myers could POSSIBLY be any worse than Vegas, and I'm pretty sure I'd be able to get a job within the 1st week of showing up.

People say there aren't any jobs, but there are. They just may not happen to be what YOU want to do, or have extensive experience doing. Here in Vegas, there are tons of jobs that get posted online, people say there's no work, but there are jobs and SOMEONE is getting them.

I'm sure some of the locals would disagree, but it's easy to say there aren't any jobs when instead of beating the streets and looking for one, you're lurking city-data deterring people from coming to the city.

Maybe I'll see error in my thinking when I arrive, but the way I see it, a positive attitude and confidence will go a long way when competing with the dejected masses of the CC/FM populous.

Comments... anyone?
Your going to regret it. You should be going to West Palm Beach or the Orlando area. NOT Fort Myers!! Which no jobs, no money, economy is bad, snakes, humidity, yuck. Out of all the cities in Florida you could have came to...you chose Fort Myers?! I have been living in FL for basically my whole life and it wasn't until I found out I was moving to the area last year I even heard about this hellhold called Fort Myers. Your just going from a dump to a swamp! Good luck with that.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:12 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,284,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Your going to regret it. You should be going to West Palm Beach or the Orlando area. NOT Fort Myers!! Which no jobs, no money, economy is bad, snakes, humidity, yuck. Out of all the cities in Florida you could have came to...you chose Fort Myers?! I have been living in FL for basically my whole life and it wasn't until I found out I was moving to the area last year I even heard about this hellhold called Fort Myers. Your just going from a dump to a swamp! Good luck with that.
being near parents is huge motivator and thumbs up to that - it pays off when and if grandchildren come along or when the parent(s) become old and or ill.

arguing about how bad Fort Myers is I think is a red herring, as SWF is really one metropolitan area. You could easily be based in Naples (which I recommend), work in North Naples (for example), and be close enough for Sunday dinner with Dad up in Fort Myers.

Please read the FAQ sticky which hopefully reflects the collective wisdom of the resident posters, and then think about a job or business plan search that spans all of SWF, or more sensibly, look at the St. Petes-Tampa-Orlando beltway for a more four season economy, and if the 2 hour drive is too far for Dad, move him a bit closer once you get established.

Personally, I like Orlando for a young person - spent a day tooting around and shopping week before last...energy level reminded me of a Vegas visit before the crisis.

The further north you go the better if you look at the stats.

An even more strategic move would be Texas, if it wern't for the Dad issue.

In order to maintain focus on your mission I would suggest simply ignoring any postings that you perceive to be offending - most of the time it is tough love.

There is a vast pool of SWF experience on this forum to draw on, and those people are just sitting around waiting to give you advice for nothing other than the satisfaction of helping you.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:56 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,284,816 times
are you refering to the municipality of Fort Myers specifically, or the region?

this is my condo's pool, and I am within the FM city boundry

this is downtown Fort Myers

do you include the beach area?

or the 6 mile slough?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area