Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,257 times

Advertisements

Hello, this is my first post here. I have an opportunity to move into an empty house that belongs to my relatives, rent free (they want me to watch the place and they may or may not be moving into the house in 5 years when they retire). I love Ft. Myers and I want to permanently move to the area. However, in this economy I'm obviously a little worried about quitting my current job (I'm in Indianapolis right now) and moving. I'm 3 classes short of my Bachelor's Degree in Media Arts and Technology. I plan on finishing at Edison or FGCU. I'm currently working as a Designer for a Graphics/Sign company. But I'm very open to a career change as well. I would love a job outdoors, like working for a Nature Preserve. I'd love to work for a museum or zoo. I'd even wait tables upon my arrival if I can't find anything else that's more permanent.

Anyway, I'm pretty wide open as far as my job search is concerned. Does anyone have any tips on companies that are hiring, or know of opportunities available within your own company? Or have any advice in general concerning my move to Ft Myers? Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 04:01 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,747,668 times
A couple of things to consider. Are you sure that 100% of your course work is transferable? Also most universities require that a certain amount of course work be completed there, so you probably can't just take three courses. Otherwise people would go to cheap colleges and then take their last two courses at Harvard so they have a Harvard degree...lol

Also, SW Florida has a huge employment problem. If someone posted job leads here, you would have a lot of competition. The area is a service oriented industry so most jobs are retail, hotel, restaurant. There is minimal industry like Chicago, NYC, etc. Look at hospitals and chicos.com since they are large employers.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,364,007 times
Free rent=cool!

Jobs=Bad

Indianapolis=8.5 unemployment rate
Fort Myers/Cape Coral=12.9

Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area

Excellent point about the school transfer. Finish the classes while applying for jobs. See if you get any bites. I'm sure a degree from Edison is not very prestigious and FGCU isn't that much better.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:27 AM

11 posts, read 36,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan23 View Post
Hello, this is my first post here. I have an opportunity to move into an empty house that belongs to my relatives, rent free (they want me to watch the place and they may or may not be moving into the house in 5 years when they retire). I love Ft. Myers and I want to permanently move to the area. However, in this economy I'm obviously a little worried about quitting my current job (I'm in Indianapolis right now) and moving. I'm 3 classes short of my Bachelor's Degree in Media Arts and Technology. I plan on finishing at Edison or FGCU. I'm currently working as a Designer for a Graphics/Sign company. But I'm very open to a career change as well. I would love a job outdoors, like working for a Nature Preserve. I'd love to work for a museum or zoo. I'd even wait tables upon my arrival if I can't find anything else that's more permanent.

Anyway, I'm pretty wide open as far as my job search is concerned. Does anyone have any tips on companies that are hiring, or know of opportunities available within your own company? Or have any advice in general concerning my move to Ft Myers? Thanks for your time.
Horticulture and landscaping is extremely big business in Southwest Florida. And in fact, there are several pretty nice nurseries that you can work at, not to mention a lot of landscaping, public garden/park maintenance, and tree service jobs that you can apply for. For instance, golf courses obviously have a lot of grass areas that need a lot of maintenance such as watering, aerating, mowing, some might have flower beds and such, same thing also goes for most condominium/apartment complexes. And due to Fort Myers being in a tropical climate, all those jobs are year round.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:07 AM

335 posts, read 664,601 times
I can't say this often or loud enough: don't come to Florida unemployed thinking you are going to find a job. It is a very bad market with lots of local people looking for work. Before I came from NYC, I had a job all lined up. And never quit a job to come here. Never.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:54 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,288,360 times
I assume your current school can advise you on options for finishing your degree remotely...perhaps online courses at the same school or credit from courses taken in Florida to finish your degree there.

Seems to me however that maybe you should spend this winter staying put and taking one or two credits back home and then finish this off next summer so the degree is no longer an outstanding issue. Spend this winter coming down to SWF as often as you can for short stays to assess the employment situation and look for work, preserving your current job and path of retreat at all costs.

I am concerned that this free house might end up being a trap for you however. If you want to live in Florida, I would not let this particular house be a distraction. For a young person, I think Tampa or Orlando is a better bet overall, or even better, Houston.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:09 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,747,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
I can't say this often or loud enough: don't come to Florida unemployed thinking you are going to find a job. It is a very bad market with lots of local people looking for work. Before I came from NYC, I had a job all lined up. And never quit a job to come here. Never.

That is excellent advice! Free rent is only a portion of your overall expenses. What about food, utilities, entertainment?

There are thousands of unemployed in Florida already. Without a job lined up first, you will just join them all looking for work.

The smart thing to do is finish up your degree where you are. Come down and visit, and look for work while you are here. You may want to call the admissions office of FGCU and Edison. I can almost guarantee you that they won't give you a degree if you only take 3 courses there. All colleges and universities have a minimum required course work that needs to be completed at the degree issuing university.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:37 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,785,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
A couple of things to consider. Are you sure that 100% of your course work is transferable? Also most universities require that a certain amount of course work be completed there, so you probably can't just take three courses. Otherwise people would go to cheap colleges and then take their last two courses at Harvard so they have a Harvard degree...lol
This is true. At FGCU, you need at least 25% of your credits (minimum of 30) to earn a degree from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area