Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:02 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
The other thing that "scaring the bejeezus" out of people does is - it does not allow people to come in and make a change. If you "scare" all the potential people away that could make a difference, SWFL will be just the same or worse. It would never get better.
I get what you are saying, but I think we are all on the same page now (you too right?)...we just want to scare that small group that would come down here with kids in tow on the hope of a job and the assumption that the public schools are like their home town - its a very specific group.

If they are determined none the less, they just need to send dad ahead to check out the job market BEFORE they give notice on the lease up north, and rent when they get down here so they don't get trapped by a house if the job does not work out.

Also, we need to point out to them that other parts of the country (Texas, Tennesee, North Florida, or even Alberta) are better bets to start over if you are at the bottom and need a break and want nicer weather than what you are moving from.

What Lee County really needs are all those retiring public servant boomers with limited pensions - perfect, and if they rent first, they can course correct if they don't like the summer heat, as Hik says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 08:24 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
What Lee County really needs are all those retiring public servant boomers with limited pensions - perfect, and if they rent first, they can course correct if they don't like the summer heat, as Hik says.
Yep. And you don't know if you don't try. I think it is very advantageous to live year-round, too, if you don't mind the weather. The lower taxes and less headaches make it worth it, in my opinion. I met a lot of snowbirds and about 40 percent of both partners liked it. Of the rest, one loved it and the other was sick of making lists, shutting down and turning on utilities, packing, etc...But that is another thing that you don't know unless you try.

There are a lot of really low, low unemployment rate areas in the country. Knoxville is 7.8, which is okay, but there are better. Texas is a crap shoot. Some cities have okay unemployment rates but some cities there can be pretty high, too and believe it or not, I get a lot of inquiries from that state from people that moved there and don't like the weather or other things. It's a big state and there are a lot of differences, much like Florida. Gainesville, Florida has recently seen higher rates, too.

Before I decided to stay in Knoxville I seriously considered Omaha, Nebraska. I thought it a decent place to weather the coming recession. My friend thought I was nuts when I told her this in November 2007, but it has some great cultural offerings, low cost of living and housing and has an unemployment rate of 4.9 with nearby Lincoln at 3.9. She laughs now at how "on the money" I was. I love running economic data and picking great places to live.

Well, I am just rambling...

Old 10-05-2010, 09:04 PM

964 posts, read 2,064,391 times
After stepping back and lurking for the past week or so, I've seen a tremendous outpouring of enthusiasm regarding the "sticky project". Hopefully, living down there for an extended period of time will give me the opportunity to add to the information you've all so generously researched and contributed.

I do think I can shed some light on the perspective I've gained from my silent participation of late, and I hope none of you kind folks take offense. IMO (and take it for what it's worth), offering factual information about an area without the opinionated proselytizing is the most valuable insight we can give any possible newcomers. Each of us here has our own past experiences that contribute to our perceptions of an area. Others, while maybe in similar situations, may prioritize their needs in a far different manner based on their own personal history and / or situation. Whether we agree with their prioritization is completely irrelevant. I know I'd be reluctant to come down to SWFL after what I've read here over the past few days. I don't think any of you intend to convey this, but it comes through loud and clear.

Again, just voicing my thoughts after quietly reading related posts regarding what seems to have started as a well meaning project and has expanded to an unnecessary and off topic "Dear Abby" type of forum.

Submitted humbly,

Izmack....

Old 10-05-2010, 09:28 PM

Why? You are a snowbird, correct? So no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
After stepping back and lurking for the past week or so, I've seen a tremendous outpouring of enthusiasm regarding the "sticky project". Hopefully, living down there for an extended period of time will give me the opportunity to add to the information you've all so generously researched and contributed.

I do think I can shed some light on the perspective I've gained from my silent participation of late, and I hope none of you kind folks take offense. IMO (and take it for what it's worth), offering factual information about an area without the opinionated proselytizing is the most valuable insight we can give any possible newcomers. Each of us here has our own past experiences that contribute to our perceptions of an area. Others, while maybe in similar situations, may prioritize their needs in a far different manner based on their own personal history and / or situation. Whether we agree with their prioritization is completely irrelevant. I know I'd be reluctant to come down to SWFL after what I've read here over the past few days. I don't think any of you intend to convey this, but it comes through loud and clear.

Again, just voicing my thoughts after quietly reading related posts regarding what seems to have started as a well meaning project and has expanded to an unnecessary and off topic "Dear Abby" type of forum.

Submitted humbly,

Izmack....

Old 10-05-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Why? You are a snowbird, correct? So no worries.
I'm not sure what I should not worry about, Hik?

Old 10-05-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
I'm not sure what I should not worry about, Hik?
You said you would be reluctant to move to Lee County after reading the posts over the past few days. Why? You are a snowbird. The sticky facts are simply for folks that may not realize the School Choice situation or the high unemployment rate.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:18 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
If someone were a snowbird looking to come here, by all means do it! I would snowbird here myself. It's the full timers like myself that have to worry about the negatives, schools, jobs, etc. There is really no reason for a part timer not to buy here, or come down....

Old 10-06-2010, 06:00 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Just want to stress again that the sticky needs to be balanced and factual and above all, helpful. It is not a "scare" thread. It should indeed warn those foolish enough to come down there with a "dollar and a dream", but not be so negative so as to scare anyone away.

Balanced and factual......it IS that easy.

One could have an informed opinion weather they are retired or not, a snowbird or not. I think many people start out being snowbirds, then as they get older decide on staying in one place.....many times that place being the warmer one.

Frank

Old 10-06-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
If someone were a snowbird looking to come here, by all means do it! I would snowbird here myself. It's the full timers like myself that have to worry about the negatives, schools, jobs, etc. There is really no reason for a part timer not to buy here, or come down....
Chris, thanks. My comments weren't about me, though. I've made my decision and quite pleased with it. I was commenting on what the threads sounded like to someone who may be considering a F/T move.... people ask for information, but I think they would either be offended or scared in some of the strong opinions that they get as responses. It's one thing to be passionate about a topic, but quite another to start telling people how to run their life!

Just my two cents.....

Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,882 times
I think the fun things to do section will give some weight to motivating people to be interested in SWF, and we need incorporate the proposal to load photos.

following the dire warnings of what can go wrong with moving lock stock and barrel, we will need a wrap-up paragraph that addresses the point that Florida is indeed paradise on earth for many persons, and that if you approach Florida logically, methodically and carefully, each person can answer this question for themselves without needlessly getting into serious trouble. The point is to get the right people in the right spot, with as little damage to themselves as possible. Of course you can lead a horse to water...

hopefully, with a carefully crafted consensus FAQ, we can accomplish this with a little less drama, and focus our intensity on the important discussions like the best place to watch a sunset or which restaurant makes the best margaritas!

part of the problem is that this is dragging out too long...I have a wife recovering from severe dental work, I have some mysterious virus, and both dogs are being run to the vet to deal with separate ailments...and I am trying to pull things together to fly to SWF next week. If we make it, I am going to have to resist kissing the airport terminal floor when we offload and I feel and smell that wonderful humidity (which I love).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area