Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:21 AM

964 posts, read 2,065,263 times

Advertisements

I really do think we need a sticky to explain the 180 degree views people have on here - it would help to explain to new viewers the bizarre highs and lows.
  • Some bought when the market was sky high and are bitter, or bought in a neighborhood that is failing, or have fallen on hard times because of the US-wide economic situation that has affected SWFL so deeply.
  • Others did their research, bought recently, and are are enjoying real estate appreciation and SWFL as we speak.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 02:28 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
The administration has asked all forums limit themselves to two stickies.
I like the idea, but there are other ways to solve the problem. Be patient my friend......

Frank

Old 11-30-2010, 02:46 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,094,009 times
I think it's a bad idea. Here's why... The negative side likes to make false statements such as crime is getting worse. You can provide them with crime maps, the fbi's crime index and all sorts of things that prove that crime is way down and that cape coral is one of the safest cities it's size.

they can say foreclosures are going to get worse, next wave , tsunami etc. you show them proof that it is greatly reducing.

they say no demand, you show them 30,000 sales of single family homes in the last 2 years

they say prices dropping , you lay out for them the last 22 months of median home prices showing not true.

they say unemployment economy getting worse, you show them it was 14.1% is now 12.7%

They say things that aren't true and when you correct them and back up your statements with proof their response is "your spinning" because it doesn't support their perceptions.

My opinions are and have always been data dependant. when the data looks bad I say it. I know in a couple of days they will be coming out with some new foreclosure data and it is going to look good . Lis pendens filings were extremly low as well as certificates of title. I know it is exactly tied to banks halting foreclosures so I am not going to look at it as positive news. But when the banks start foreclosing again I'm also going to realize that things aren't getting worse it's just a change in the process but the negative side will jump on it like I was wrong and see foreclosures are getting worse.

If the median price jumps in the next coming month, I am not going to look at it as a positive thing again because I can realize it may only be temporary due to fewer distressed properties being on the market which drags the median price down. But when it starts to go back down when the distressed sales start to hit the market again they'll interpret it as "see prices are droppin, I told ya"

It's sad that people are like this but the truth is their lives suck. It has nothing to do with SWFL it's the decisions they have made in their lives.
I talk with my dad every day and he'll say things like "We're sitting here at the Sanibel Causeway under a pine tree watching the birds dive in the water"

We're riding our bikes around the island, we're working in the garden, did some fishing, went to Oktoberfest, went to the Irish festival, went to fortmyers beach to look at the sand sculptures.

Today I was having a reverse osmosis system being put into one of my properties and was talking to the installer that worked as an electrician lost his job at the same time his wife had some medical problems. familiar story of losing job, lost house is now working at half the pay, renting and trying to get back on his feet. The last thing on his mind is watching the sunset from a pier.

A lot of people come on this forum looking for help/ answers. When I was looking at properties I asked a lot of questions and found the members to be very helpful. It serves no one any purpose to put out false info.

I don't remember any time when I told someone to buy, honestly I was buying myself , and I am not selling anything, and I don't see myself selling any of my properties down there within the next 10 years, in fact today I just mailed out my contract to install a seawall and dock for my future retirement home down there. My immediate interest would to have my property values stay low or go down because then the taxes would be less on them.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:39 PM

Good post. Provided this forum keeps people like you that provide the fair balance and don't tire replying with facts, your theory is good. It's obvious, though, that a lot of the helpful folks you refer to have stopped posting. The more these argumentative types keep posting out of context info and contentious responses, the less postings I see from folks with validity.

Let me be clear - Validity does not imply a positive, rosy stance - just one that is factual and presented in a light where people can make their own decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I think it's a bad idea. Here's why... The negative side likes to make false statements such as crime is getting worse. You can provide them with crime maps, the fbi's crime index and all sorts of things that prove that crime is way down and that cape coral is one of the safest cities it's size.

<SNIP>

Old 11-30-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Be patient my friend......

Frank
Is Santa coming?!

Old 11-30-2010, 03:40 PM

146 posts, read 375,521 times
Great post, nhkev.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
I think the stickys that we have give a pretty good assessment of the situation. They tell people to look into the way schools are selected, check out the unemployment rate, beware of Chinese drywall, and yes, the area has some great prices for retirement, second homes, or if you are being transferred.

The stickys are a bit long-winded and some people don't read that stuff no matter what you do, but they seem to be working to a large degree. I'm noticing a lot less repetitive questions so I think they are a success.

I think the biggest problem we have on this forum has little to do with either of Izmack's categories.

Years ago - mostly 1996 through 1998 - we had problems with investors, agents and especially people trying to sell their homes that would talk up the area. We actually had a woman that went on and on about the area until she closed on her house and was moving back to PA. She then turned around and basically called us all "suckers." They banned her.

And I haven't seen a lot of upside-down people on this forum, which is pretty odd, considering the numbers. But oddly enough, there doesn't seem to be a lot of economically bitter people on the forum. If anything, I think being quiet is in their own best interest and they know it. I know more than a few that would love to sell but can't.

I think the problem is we have an influx of people that need to find something useful to do with their lives. No amount of stickys is going to fix that, not even with duct tape.

Take all of that for what it is worth, which probably ain't much.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:42 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,285,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
I really do think we need a sticky to explain the 180 degree views people have on here - it would help to explain to new viewers the bizarre highs and lows.
  • Some bought when the market was sky high and are bitter, or bought in a neighborhood that is failing, or have fallen on hard times because of the US-wide economic situation that has affected SWFL so deeply.
  • Others did their research, bought recently, and are are enjoying real estate appreciation and SWFL as we speak.

Thoughts?
SWF is a bit of a pressure cooker as it attracts the wealthy and comfortably retired as well as catching more than its share of the restless souls, ex cons and sex offenders that wander the continent looking for a solution to their problem, and for many, their problem is their attitude on life.

If you have a negative attitude, an abrasive personality and few skills or no education to trade with, SWF is indeed holy hell on wheels, especially trying to scrape by surrounded by the super rich and modestly financially independent.

Throw in buying at the top and riding the equity wave down through zero, its just a plain nightmare, which also nabbed and trapped many decent hard working types who played by the rules, but were suckered by the con of the real estate bubble and financial industry.

I would think a very carefully worded paragraph could be drafted that would prepare new participants for this, which could be added when we do the eventual updates, but it might be tricky to get a consensus.

I thought things were getting better here, but I have not been following closely.

That being said, I hang out in several forums, and all forums attract trolls and bullies, and they live or die by the ferociousness of the moderation. I assume Frank is required to operate within an established ruleset, and the ruleset's objective is to maximize traffic. This is a for-profit enterprise, right?

Eventually you may come to the conclusion I came to, which is that this forum is not good for your mental health, and needs to be taken in limited doses, at least as long as it operates under the current rules.

Last edited by kroeran; 11-30-2010 at 06:54 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 04:47 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,875,677 times
Ditto,that,NHKEV.......I too,was a little cautious when I bought.I believed some of the negative stuff from certain posters on the forum.First thing I did after remodling and landscaping our forclosure purchase was to install a very good wireless alarm system and make sure my "carry permit" was ok in Fla. New Hampshire and Fla have reciprocal gun laws.Anyway......the .38 is collectiing dust in a closet and I rarely even bother to lock my doors. The alarm gets used only when we're back north.
Last week we took grandkids to Gatorama,went to lunch by boat,beached the boat at Sanibel,went to the Christmas lighting celebration in downtown FM........It was absolutely beautiful.Young couples holding hands,families with kids,retired people,dogs on leashes,a few skate boards,people eating at the sidewalk cafe's.Today,we plan to go to the sunset fair at the CC Yacht Club.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:54 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Ditto,that,NHKEV.......I too,was a little cautious when I bought.I believed some of the negative stuff from certain posters on the forum.First thing I did after remodling and landscaping our forclosure purchase was to install a very good wireless alarm system and make sure my "carry permit" was ok in Fla. New Hampshire and Fla have reciprocal gun laws.Anyway......the .38 is collectiing dust in a closet and I rarely even bother to lock my doors. The alarm gets used only when we're back north.
Last week we took grandkids to Gatorama,went to lunch by boat,beached the boat at Sanibel,went to the Christmas lighting celebration in downtown FM........It was absolutely beautiful.Young couples holding hands,families with kids,retired people,dogs on leashes,a few skate boards,people eating at the sidewalk cafe's.Today,we plan to go to the sunset fair at the CC Yacht Club.
I've never heard of that! Maybe it's new? Sounds great, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area