Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:37 AM

59 posts, read 218,374 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me any feedback on any High schools in the Ft. Lauderdale area. I have two highschool age kids and was thinking about relocating, however I don't like what I have read on the schools. Are there any private schools or public schools in the area that rate well. Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 10:41 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,716,981 times
I send/sent my kids to American Heritage - a private school in Plantation. Has every AP class under the sun, a pre-law, pre-med, pre-engineering program, they do Model UN, have the #1 math team in the state for private schools, great sports program (rated #7 by Sports illustrated), great fine arts program, great music program, great drama program, etc. Expensive though (but not by NYC standards). As for public, Cyress Bay in Weston is well spoken of, so is Marjorie Stoneman Douglas in Parkland.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:49 AM

28 posts, read 152,104 times
Pompano Beach High school and Nova High School are really good schools as well.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:29 AM

Fauve,
When you say expensive what are you referring to? 5k,10k 20k+ a year? I have two kids at this age and this could be a bit much for me. Also, how about family neighboorhoods you would recomend.
Thanks

Old 01-12-2010, 11:35 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,925,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklestoo View Post
Pompano Beach High school and Nova High School are really good schools as well.
Yeah- but you have to apply to them and there is no guarantee they have a spot. If you move into the zone Cypress Bay or Douglas has to take you.

My kids are also at American Heritage School in Plantation. It is a nice private school, not religious. My middle son is in marching band and percussion ensemble. My oldest is an athlete and he plays football, wrestles and plays lacrosse. He also competes in weightlifting. He is taking AP classes as well as a few law classes. We really like the breadth of the course offerings at AHS.

Other non religious private schools are Pinecrest, North Broward Prep, University School. All are well regarded. Pinecrest is probably the most prestigious of these schools.

Religious high schools are Archbishop McCarthy, Chaminade, Cardinal Gibbons, Cavalry Christian, Westminster Christian, St. Thomas Aquinas.

I hope I didn't forget any.

St. Thomas is very well regarded with respect to academics. I know a lot of people at Archbishop McCarthy and people seem to LOVE that school. My husband's law partner sent all his kids to Cardinal Gibbons and they were happy there. I don't know a whole lot about the others.

One thing that is useful to know when selecting private schools is that many of the schools are known for particular programs. If you can tell us what your son is interested in outside of academics we can probably point you to the right schools. In the private schools academics are going to be good no matter where you go but certain schools are better known for certain programs.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:53 AM

99 posts, read 304,426 times
If you go to www.greatschools.net, the site offers the ratings for schools in our area - I know of a few people who used that site when relocating to choose a school and then picked an area to live in based on the location of the school.
Look for schools at all levels, Elementary through High School - as most of the grade schools are high ranking, but the middle and high school levels have diminished status. Purchasing a home in an area that has great public school credentials from K-12 will add to your home's value.
If you can afford the $20k/student price tag, American Heritage is in a great city, Plantation. All of the schools mentioned are in areas close to good, sound neighborhoods. For public schools, Weston has the best reputation for quality of life and good schools from K-12. Its also well situated for commuting parents, with easy access to all areas within 20-30 miles.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:10 PM

Thanks for all of the info. Hopefully over the next couple of months I can go down and check out the area and get a feel.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,477 times
Are there any charters or magnets in the area worth considering for middle or high school? I am a single mom moving to the Rio Vista area and my son is in middle school (8th). I can home school him for 8th if I need to do so, but want him placed for his high school. Unfortunately, I am not able to afford the above listed private schools. Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:44 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,925,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsmum View Post
Are there any charters or magnets in the area worth considering for middle or high school? I am a single mom moving to the Rio Vista area and my son is in middle school (8th). I can home school him for 8th if I need to do so, but want him placed for his high school. Unfortunately, I am not able to afford the above listed private schools. Thanks in advance for any info.
I think the IB programs are well regarded if he qualifies.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,477 times
Ok thanks--I am going to do a search for them at the middle school level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area