Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:06 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,712,467 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about Jeff's organic farmer's market on the broadwalk - every Sunday morning farmer's from all over bring their organic produce - check it out. Why would you think I was talking about Publix? I suggested Radius which is right on Young Circle. Living in a house may make her mother-in-law a bit more vulnerable if she walks home alone at night, so I do believe Radius is the safer choice if she plans to be out and about in the evenings. The restaurants, gelato places, hookah lounges (if you're into that), live music venues, gyro places, beach, broadwalk and festivals in the park make it a vibrant place to live without a car, which I believe the OP is looking for.

Where else in Miami or Fort Lauderdale can OP find a publix, an organic farmer's market, doctors, shops, restaurants, public transit, parks, beach, broadwalk with shops, etc all within walking distance for an affordable price? Please be specific.

As for crime it's increasing everywhere, most particularly in mall parking lots in the western suburban shopping area parking lots. The Radius provides security. As for the homeless, they are not dangerous - just homeless. In the times I have been to Hollywood I have not seen any, but I'll take your word on that as the economy dries up, there will be more homelessness everywhere. Anyone who lived in NYC during the 80's has seen their share of homelessness. I am sorry your friend had a bad experiene - was his studio in a luxury building?

The OP is from NYC so is street-wise. I am sure she will investigate the area carefully and determine for herself if it is a good place for her m-i-l.

When the economy turns around, btw, I expect that area will be among the first to stabilize price-wise.

Last edited by fauve; 03-22-2009 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 06:35 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I'm talking about Jeff's organic farmer's market on the broadwalk - every Sunday morning farmer's from all over bring their organic produce - check it out. Why would you think I was talking about Publix? I suggested Radius which is right on Young Circle. Living in a house may make her mother-in-law a bit more vulnerable if she walks home alone at night, so I do believe Radius is the safer choice if she plans to be out and about in the evenings. The restaurants, gelato places, hookah lounges (if you're into that), live music venues, gyro places, beach, broadwalk and festivals in the park make it a vibrant place to live without a car, which I believe the OP is looking for.

Where else in Miami or Fort Lauderdale can OP find a publix, an organic farmer's market, doctors, shops, restaurants, public transit, parks, beach, broadwalk with shops, etc all within walking distance for an affordable price? Please be specific.

As for crime it's increasing everywhere, most particularly in mall parking lots in the western suburban shopping area parking lots. The Radius provides security. As for the homeless, they are not dangerous - just homeless. In the times I have been to Hollywood I have not seen any, but I'll take your word on that as the economy dries up, there will be more homelessness everywhere. Anyone who lived in NYC during the 80's has seen their share of homelessness. I am sorry your friend had a bad experiene - was his studio in a luxury building?

The OP is from NYC so is street-wise. I am sure she will investigate the area carefully and determine for herself if it is a good place for her m-i-l.

When the economy turns around, btw, I expect that area will be among the first to stabilize price-wise.
I was talking about Jeff's farmers market as well. Try looking at the labels on that food and where they get it from, it is not from local farms. They are purchase that stuff from stores and wholesalers from out of state.

umm the boardwalk within walking distance from young circle? Ehe, try that in the summer. Anyway, sailboat bend, hammock bend, flagler village, brickell, design district are just a few of the places I could name. You should explore south florida more. As for hollywood and "stabilizing" errr you should read some articles on that place, it has a ton of problems.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:32 PM

Well, of course it isn't all local - bing cherries don't grow in Florida, but you couldn't possibly have a true local organic market in South Florida because we don't grow anything other than citrus, avocados and mangos... I suppose that's why he's the only one - it must take a lot of coordination to pull off. At least he is making the effort, it's a nice set-up and a destination on a Sunday morning.

What is it with you and the negativity? I actually suggested to OP that her mother take the bus for the one mile to the broadwalk, but if she felt up to walking she could.

So you think the neighborhoods you just suggested are safer and more affordable than downtown Hollywood? And walkable to a Publix? The beach? Fascinating. These are just not pedestrian neighborhoods in the traditional sense that have everything you need in walking distance. I will say I havent been to the design district in the last 5 years, so there may be a Publix that popped up somewhere, but safe? Affordable? Hey, I'll have to go check it out. It's nowhere near the beach or doctors though. I can't see living in any of the places you mentioned without a car. Please be more specific re the OP's ideal area. Which one of these neighborhoods has everything she is looking for?

And re, Hollywood and a ton of problems. Miami Beach had its share of problems too - MANY more than Hollywood, and look what happened there. I called that right, and live comfortably to this day because of it. Hollywood Beach will do just fine. In fact, the recent downturn ensures it, because it means the artists can continue to afford to move in there.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:15 PM

Btw, that second link you posted about swingers <gasp> was dated 2001.

And, you said something in an earlier post about how I haven't been to NYC since the 90's? I was in NYC last June of 2007. The economy has gotten worse. Are you saying the city has gotten safer? No swingers then?

Old 03-23-2009, 08:55 AM

294 posts, read 1,149,507 times
Downtown Hollywood is a good choice, but it seems to be suffering pretty bad with the current economic downturn. In the last six months, I've seen one bank, one school (the Art Academy), a juice bar and several restaurants (Spoon, Quiznos, etc.) close down. Even in the building where I work we've had a number of tenants moving out. It's kind of scary actually.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:00 AM

^^ Sounds like it's time to buy.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:20 AM

124 posts, read 440,802 times
I certainly will look at Hollywood for my MIL. She has live in Inwood since she got to this country 35yrs ago. She's seen it go from a very nice area, to a deteriorating area, to an attempt at gentrification, to a steady working class community. She's a tough cookie, she can handle it.

The proximity to all that Fauve mentioned is at the top of our list. I don't want her getting bored. If she can walk to the boardwalk, even better.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:47 AM

This should give you some more information.

Downtown Hollywood, Broward County, Florida - Home

Old 03-23-2009, 10:32 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Well, of course it isn't all local - bing cherries don't grow in Florida, but you couldn't possibly have a true local organic market in South Florida because we don't grow anything other than citrus, avocados and mangos... I suppose that's why he's the only one - it must take a lot of coordination to pull off. At least he is making the effort, it's a nice set-up and a destination on a Sunday morning.

What is it with you and the negativity? I actually suggested to OP that her mother take the bus for the one mile to the broadwalk, but if she felt up to walking she could.

So you think the neighborhoods you just suggested are safer and more affordable than downtown Hollywood? And walkable to a Publix? The beach? Fascinating. These are just not pedestrian neighborhoods in the traditional sense that have everything you need in walking distance. I will say I havent been to the design district in the last 5 years, so there may be a Publix that popped up somewhere, but safe? Affordable? Hey, I'll have to go check it out. It's nowhere near the beach or doctors though. I can't see living in any of the places you mentioned without a car. Please be more specific re the OP's ideal area. Which one of these neighborhoods has everything she is looking for?

And re, Hollywood and a ton of problems. Miami Beach had its share of problems too - MANY more than Hollywood, and look what happened there. I called that right, and live comfortably to this day because of it. Hollywood Beach will do just fine. In fact, the recent downturn ensures it, because it means the artists can continue to afford to move in there.
Negative no, i just call out bad information when I see it.

Sailboat bend has a publix not even 1 mile away on Andrews in Downtown Fort Lauderdale, From Hammock bend its probably 1.5 miles. From Flagler village you have a Publix that is on the corner of federal highway and sunrise and that's under a mile. You can get to the beach from Sailboat bend, Hammock Bend and Flagler Village in I think a mile or so,just head straight down Las Olas. All three of the above mentioned have shops, and restaurants within walking distance oh and 50% of the shops are not closing up as they are in Hollywood. You also have the IMax theater, downton library, "farmers market" on Las Olas on Sundays, water taxi, art festivals and other events certain times of the year along Las Olas.

To compare Hollywood to miami beach is a little silly. Miami Beach had far more to offer in terms of turning itself around. Hollywood has little to nothing going for it in terms of businesses etc. I don't care how much a place might try to change things for itself, it has little to offer then the turn around wont happen for it. Sun Sentinel has been reporting on Hollywood's dillema for a year or so now. Yes the swinger thing was a year ago, however the other two articles I posted were not, they were recent. Just go search this forum, me and compelled had this conversation a year ago where in articles were posted about how restuarants and shops open up and shut down like clock work in downtown hollywood. In fact city of hollywood were basically throwing money at people to open up shops down there and the vacancy rate is still high and shops are still coming and going and agian this was all before the recession got under way. That area is in TONS of trouble and that was before things started to get as bad as it is now. And the same goes for that boardwalk. That mall on the boardwalk looks like something out of 28 days later and it looked like that far before this downturn. As for farmers markets and what is grown down here, errr wow, you need to do research is all I will say.

As for crime:

Sailboat bend does have some issues, but nothing like what I have read about and heard in and around downtown Hollywood.

Hammock Bend: fairly safe and quite

Flagler Village: May be on par with downtown hollywood in terms of crime. I know there is some prostitution and drug selling in some areas. They were trying to gentrify it before the bottom fell out.

As for when to buy, it makes little sense to purchase a depreciating asset, that is bad business all around.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:28 AM

There is no way the OP's mother-in-law will be able to walk a mile with her groceries. That's ridiculous - she would need a car. It's one thing to choose to walk to the beach on a nice day for a mile, and another to have to walk a mile in the summer to pick up a loaf of bread.

As for buying depreciating assets, it is impossible to call a bottom and when it turns around, it will be dramatic. With 4% interest rates here, I expect the bottom to be very soon. Many people are sitting on the sidelines with cash waiting to get back in. Hollywood is one of those rare areas that is village-y, artsy and hip without being pretentious. It also has the beach and broadwalk. Fort Lauderdale's beach is boring. Las Olas is much more upscale and has a different vibe. If you wanted to be able to walk to a shop that sells antique oriental rugs from your $400,000 condo, Las Olas is for you. It might work if you could do it without a car and the housing budget was high. Under a mile to a grocery store just doesnt cut it in this case.

It didn't help Hollyood that it hit its development height in 2006. It will help when the market rebounds because everything is already built. As it stands, it's still a destination for the weekends. Friday and Saturday nights are a lot more interesting there than Las Olas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area