Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 06:23 AM

3 posts, read 4,996 times

Advertisements

Hello, this is a great forum with great people and feedback! I wanted to share my situation with you and get your opinion.

I currently live in the DMV area, working as a contractor. Could turn permanent, but not sure when as no one will tell me. Anyway, my background is in operations management as well as former military. I am a single mother to two teens, one son finishing HS Possible college in PA or WV. Still waiting on PA decision. My other son is home schooled and my sister monitors him during the day. I am also in school studying cyber security & digital forensics.

My dilemma is that I really want to move and start over. I dread the winters (although I am originally from NYC and did not like it then-health reasons), jobs are plenty here, but the rent is too darn high! If I were to stay here and purchase a home, that will place me and my family in less than desirable neighborhoods, because currently I am unable to afford homes in the nicer neighborhoods.

I am looking into FL, have been several times and of course love the weather. But I keep reading things about the job market; what is it like now? I have looked on sites such as indeed, simply hired and see positions that I would apply for. Please share your experience on how you found your job when you were relocating to the Ft. Lauderdale area.

I am also looking into Jacksonville, FL (wait, do not beat me up yet for posting in this forum first), however, my first preference is Ft. Lauderdale. Only reason why I thought about Jacksonville is because of the city's size and the Naval Air Station for jobs. We would have to visit there as we have never been. I will post in that forum, too.

But for now, can you tell me areas as a starting point to live? I have savings for eight months (which can go fast, I know) and looking to pay no more than $1200-$1400 for a 3 bedroom to rent. My sister may come with us to help with my son, but if she does not, how are the high schools in Pembroke Pines, Cooper City area? This is if I decide to place my son back in regular public school.

Question is really, where should I start in Broward County? Should I try Pembroke Pines after securing a job? Ft. Lauderdale? Any pointers you can give me would be wonderful. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 07:59 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,468,455 times
$1200-$1400 should get you a 2 bedroom in a decent area.. I highly doubt a 3 bedroom.

Why not apply now for positions you're finding online?

Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 AM

Thank you for your honesty, I kind of figured that. A two bedroom is definitely doable. Yes, I will start applying now. Thanks again and enjoy your day!

Old 03-31-2013, 10:52 AM

3,267 posts, read 3,223,085 times
The job market down here in South Florida is improving, but it's not like anything in your area where there are so many government jobs/contractors to prop up the economy. Tourism is king down here, so the big employers are the hospitality/travel/restaurant industries. Because of a larger than usual aging demographic, we also have several hospitals (both public non-profit and private) and medical offices/nursing homes/assisted living facilities. Health care would rank near tourism, I would think. I found my job down here fresh out of college (many, many decades ago) so I can't really provide you with a comparison as to how easy it would be to find work down here while still living somewhere else. I think you are on the right track with Jacksonville and your military background -- another place to look (and where you might find that 3 bedroom in your price range) is near Pensacola, in the Florida Panhandle. The cost of living is a bit less up that way.

If you focus on western Pembroke Pines (anything close to, or west of I-75) you might also want to check out the Army Garrison in Doral, home of the US Southern Command. Members of the army, navy, and air force work there, as well as military contractors. The commute from west Pembroke Pines to Doral is long (about an hour or so) but definitely do-able -- highway driving practically the entire way. I live close to Pembroke Pines, and it is my understanding that the schools zoned for the western section are very good -- I believe A rated.

Good luck on your search -- although the heat in South Florida during the summer months can be brutal, I would not trade it for snowy winters. Hope all works out for you.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:23 AM

Thank you Wizrap, I truly appreciate your response. I wouldn't mind working IT in the hospitality/tourism industry especially since I have an international business undergrad degree. Hope that helps somewhat! I have looked at the hospitals for jobs as well, guess I am so used to government contracting LOL.

I will check out Army Garrison, thanks for that tip! That is a great idea to look into the jobs there. Western Pembroke Pines, okay that's a good starting point, will look at that, too. My commute from MD to VA where I work is 1 1/2 hour so guess I am used to it. I am familiar with Pensacola due to the Navy base, but that was a long time ago. Pretty sure much has changed since then. I will check that area out, too. Thanks for your straight up honesty about Jacksonville, too.

The heat doesn't bother me as much. Did basic training in Orlando, I can still hear the cadence in my head, marching in 95 degree weather! In the DC area, we had some snow last week. It is just hard when you have to commute, because people panic on the road. I try to avoid this by just staying home. Thanks again for the tips about the schools, this is important for my youngest son. He still needs to take standardized tests and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area