Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,475 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Here is the deal: My girlfriend and I moved down here from Chicago in May 2011. We moved to Plantation, FL, since it had access to highways and was fairly centrally located with regards to both Miami and West Palm, we didn't have jobs lined up yet, and we wanted to keep all options open. Since that time, I landed a job in downtown Miami, and my girlfriend got one in Boca. My commute SUCKS, and my girlfriend's is really not that much better (although she doesn't have to deal with Miami traffic). We both think the best thing to do is move further east, so we are closer to I95 as driving all the way out to Plantation is a big chunk of the commute.

We thought Hollywood would be the ideal area, so we started to look there. We settled on a neighborhodd we liked, Emerald Hills (no, we aren't Jewish), but there just aren't a lot of homes available in our price range. Hollywood Hills, just south of Emerald Hills, is just OK, and we don't really want to buy there. Homes closer to the water are also too pricey.

We started to check out other areas, this time in North Broward. It will add a little to the communte south to Miami, but not that much from Hollywood, and still way less than from Plantation. We found Wilton Manors as we were driving around and thought it looked great. Then we started researching it and found out that it was #2 in the naiton for gay couples per capita. We aren't opposed to living in a gay neighborhood, but don't want to be in one that is so gay that people look at us as the "weird st8 couple" who lives in Wilton Manors. So, do young, straight couples move there, or is that area "strictly" gay?

If we shouldn't buy in Wilton Manors, where are the best areas in Broward County for a young couple with no kids to buy a home when one has to commute to Miami and the other to Boca? Price range is $225K (real price, so maybe $250 asking) maximum, and even that might be a little bit of a stretch. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 12:01 PM

444 posts, read 902,175 times
There are decent houses in your price range in Hollywood, even in east Hollywood. How large of a home are you looking for? Pool? Updated kitchen/baths? Is a condo an option?

Dania or Hallandale (east of US 1) are also affordable alternatives that would work with your commutes.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:34 PM

351 posts, read 1,129,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigo View Post
There are decent houses in your price range in Hollywood, even in east Hollywood. How large of a home are you looking for? Pool? Updated kitchen/baths? Is a condo an option?

Dania or Hallandale (east of US 1) are also affordable alternatives that would work with your commutes.
Yes, but there are really no single family homes that are decent and in their price range in either Dania or Hallandale. Dania really doesn't have much liveable housing stock in general (although the city will hopefully be redeveloping in its central area), and the nice neighborhoods are now afflicted with airport noise. Anyway, from the description, it sounds like they want a single family home.

If the OP is considering Wilton Manors, then I do not see why they wouldn't also look at Fort Lauderdale and Oakland Park (east of 95). The drive isn't going to be much different. All of these areas are going to be smaller homes, often dated, and pricier than Hollywood or Plantation. But the location is better with regard to restaurants, the beach etc.

My question is where in Plantation they live now - west Plantation? Because I live in east Plantation (east of University off of Peters Road, the Plantation Isles/Plantation Park neighborhood) and it's basically a mile from here to the big I-595/Turnpike/SR 7 Interchange. I find it very easy to get on the turnpike to head either north or south, which I do frequently. For commuting on the turnpike East Plantation is great. But I can see how west Plantation would be a pain for commuting, especially with the current state of I-595.

East Plantation should have a good selection of homes in their range (there are plenty of nice SF homes selling under $300,000).

Old 03-25-2012, 02:22 PM

166 posts, read 348,304 times
West Hollywood, between 441 and University Drive, and between Johnson Street and Pembroke Road. That area is decent and should give you easy access to Turnpike.

You know, you should get enganged! Because gf/bf living together before engagement/marriage have a high divorce rate. Just saying.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,475 times
We currently live around Pine Island and Sunrise. I take I595 (get on at Pine Island) to I95 into Miami. I tried taking the Turnpike one day, but it was a nightmare getting on I95 at the Golden Glades. It was so backed up at the toll booth, even the SunPass lanes; what a bottleneck. Plus, I have a hybrid, so I can use the HOV lanes and the express lanes in Miami for free. So the Turnpike is really not that great of an option for me. Unless I am missing something, and it was just backed up really, really bad that one day. Is that normal, or no?

Looking for 3/2 single family home or townhome, no condos/highrises, and close to I95. Those are the "musts," everything else is just a wish list. Neighborhood feel is probably the next thing we are looking for, which is probably why we like Hollywood's and Wilton Manor's little stretchs of bars/restaurants/shops on Hollywood Blvd. and Wilton Dr., respectively. We'll have to take a closer look at Oakland Park/Ft. Lauderdale east of I95.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:52 PM

423 posts, read 1,647,041 times
I agree with an earlier post, East Planation is a very good option. Specially around the peters road east of University Dr (basically stay south of Broward and East of University). However, it is going to take some effort to find something in 225K price range. Hollywood Hills is perfectly nice and OP should continue looking there.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:23 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,956,515 times
I also agree Hollywood, preferably east Hollywood close to I-95, it's the first place I'd look. Second I'd probably look at east Lauderdale or Sunrise Intracoastal area. These are still a bit far for the Miami commute, but lots to do and close to the beaches and nightlife. Price is probably going to be an issue in any desirable area near the beaches and I-95. If you can settle for an older, smaller (2br) home it would possibly be easier. But whatever you do, you DON'T want to go through the Turnpike/I-95 interchange everyday!!!

Old 03-26-2012, 10:37 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,861,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Rizzle View Post
We currently live around Pine Island and Sunrise. I take I595 (get on at Pine Island) to I95 into Miami. I tried taking the Turnpike one day, but it was a nightmare getting on I95 at the Golden Glades. It was so backed up at the toll booth, even the SunPass lanes; what a bottleneck. Plus, I have a hybrid, so I can use the HOV lanes and the express lanes in Miami for free. So the Turnpike is really not that great of an option for me. Unless I am missing something, and it was just backed up really, really bad that one day. Is that normal, or no?

Looking for 3/2 single family home or townhome, no condos/highrises, and close to I95. Those are the "musts," everything else is just a wish list. Neighborhood feel is probably the next thing we are looking for, which is probably why we like Hollywood's and Wilton Manor's little stretchs of bars/restaurants/shops on Hollywood Blvd. and Wilton Dr., respectively. We'll have to take a closer look at Oakland Park/Ft. Lauderdale east of I95.
I think you will be well accepted in Wilton Manors then.

Kidding aside, I have a coworker who has recently bought a house there, and as far as I can tell he is straight.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:15 PM

99 posts, read 305,038 times
In your commute south, have you tried using 441 heading south? You get to it by skipping the I95/Turnpike exchange, and go the 441 South/Turnpike route. You turn left at the light and 441 runs parallel to I95 for a great distance. You get on I95 once you've made it past the worst of the Golden Glades. Its been a while since I did that route, but it worked well most of the time... if your commute ends in Downtown Miami, you may not have to get back on I95 at all!!!

Old 03-26-2012, 07:59 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,499,311 times
The only way you are going to reduce your commute times substantially is to move further east. If you're considering Wilton Manors, then you should check out Coral Ridge and Pompano Beach east of US1. If you're considering a condo, you can find some good deals on ones in the east side of Lauderdale right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area