Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,746 times

Advertisements

My head is spinning from reading all the different opinions on areas in Broward County. My situation is thus...mid-20s couple picking up from Howard County, MD moving to sunny Florida. We've decided on Broward County but can't seem to pinpoint which town to go to. We don't have children so not too concerned about schools at this time. My boyfriend will be transferring work which can pretty much be in any area since he works for a large corporation, and I will be going to school full-time at the community college campus in Davie, Fl. We were originally looking at Coral Springs, but then found cheaper housing in neighboring Coconut Creek. Really trying to narrow down the area of Broward County between Boca Raton down to Hollywood. We want to live someplace safe and quiet, but also close to nightlife and close to school for me. Any opinions from people living in these areas would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 01:45 PM

191 posts, read 633,280 times
boca raton or jupiter for sure

Old 01-10-2011, 03:39 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,918,609 times
Davie and Plantation are good places to start...

Old 02-04-2011, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,292 times
Smile Recently relocated to S. FL

My husband was offered a promotion last June and we moved here from Southern CA. We are in our late 20's with 2 kids. We rented in Weston before buying our home in Coral Springs. We are very close to Boca and Parkland. It is a great neighborhood and we really enjoy it here. It's quiet and clean.

My husband commutes to Miramar daily and it takes him about 35-40 minutes each way. We prefer Coral Springs to Weston. Weston didn't have enough "stuff" in it. We were always driving to other cities to shop, eat, etc...
Good luck on your move!!

Old 02-08-2011, 04:48 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,477,894 times
Seeing that you're in your 20's, no kids, and want to be near nightlife, I would start by looking in East Fort Lauderdale. Neighborhoods such as Las Olas, Victoria Park, Rio Vista, and Colee Hammock Park. These areas are closest to nightlife and the beaches. Now, these areas may be too expensive. If so, you can branch out and look into areas like Pompano Beach (eastern half), Lauderdale-by-the-seas which is on the ocean, Davie, Plantation, Coconut Creek, and Sunrise.

In my opinion, Coral Springs, Parkland, Weston, Cooper City, and Pembroke Pines are too far away for nightlife. Davie and Plantation are the most affordable suburbs that are closer to nightlife.

Another thing, Davie and Coconut Creek do not border. They are actually about 20 minutes apart. They are completely different sections of Broward County.

Also, the poster who said Jupiter is out of their mind. That is over an hour away.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:34 PM

57 posts, read 165,485 times
you might as well ACTUALLY be living on jupiter.

nolefan is right. if you are 35 and under, east is the place to be.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:27 PM

438 posts, read 654,259 times
If you plan to live east for nightlife then forget about going to school at Broward College on the Davie campus, especially if you'll be going to classes during the morning or evening peak hours. Why drive all that distance? The traffic is bad just to get off 595 to get onto the campus via Davie Rd. Its also bad if you take Broward Blvd to University Drive. Why not go to the Downtown campus in Fort Lauderdale? They have apartments for rent nearby that aren't expensive. I think you can rent an apartment downtown for about $1500 to $1700. That campus is right next to the Downtown Fort Lauderdale bar scene. I keep hearing that these bars are the place where all the young people hang out these days.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:02 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,477,894 times
The traffic on 595 going west is not bad at all during morning rush hour. It is the opposite direction that is bad. I have a friend who commutes from Pompano Beach on A1A to University Drive in Plantation every morning, and it only takes him 30 mins. It is easier to live east and commute west in morning rush hour, than to live west and have to drive drunk or take expensive cab rides back and forth from nightlife.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:32 AM

438 posts, read 654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
The traffic on 595 going west is not bad at all during morning rush hour. It is the opposite direction that is bad. I have a friend who commutes from Pompano Beach on A1A to University Drive in Plantation every morning, and it only takes him 30 mins. It is easier to live east and commute west in morning rush hour, than to live west and have to drive drunk or take expensive cab rides back and forth from nightlife.
Driving from Pompano to University Drive is a different matter. Its getting onto the BC/FAU Davie campus that I'm talking about. During rush hour the exit ramp from 595 gets very bad at Davie Road and University Drive. Both Davie Road and University Drive in that tiny area get very busy and very slow. Its a lot slower when you're actually in it than it looks when you're driving past it, and it takes a while to get through there. I took classes at that FAU campus so I know.

Don't understand why you're suggesting this commute though. What would be the point of doing that if the OP lives east and can go to school at the Broward College/FAU campus Downtown?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:30 AM

57 posts, read 165,485 times
"commute" is a relative concept.
depending on where these folks moved from traffic shouldn't be an issue.

socalmom can tell you how it is... i also lived in L.A. for 5 years, and driving east to west on 595 in the morning is laughably easy when compared to the 101, 10, 5, 405 etc, etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area