Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:16 AM

19 posts, read 105,347 times

Advertisements

HELLO EVERYONE!!!

I'm being offered a job in Boca Raton, for $60,000 per year. Right now I live in the N. GA area which is very affordable. So I wanna hear from you locals what your suggestions are.

I will be renting at least for the first year, my wife will be bringing around $30,000.

So, should i even consider living anywhere but Boca (where my job is?), where would you recommend a couple in their late 20's live near Boca, and is a move from N. GA to south FL even recommendable?

No kids, so I don't have to worry about schools. Just want a safe, fun place to live with nearby attractions.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 10:35 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,841,660 times
I think with both of you working, this is do-able, but you won't be splurging.

You should also look at Delray Beach, right next to Boca, very nice, and may be less expensive.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:37 AM

140 posts, read 400,513 times
Boca is very good, IF you can afford it. Housing is very high for Fla.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:44 AM

351 posts, read 1,128,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
I think with both of you working, this is do-able, but you won't be splurging.

You should also look at Delray Beach, right next to Boca, very nice, and may be less expensive.
West Delray Beach is probably less expensive, and there are some nice rentals and communities. However, East Delray (around downtown) is trendy and so rentals are more pricey.
Boynton Beach is a fairly short commute for a job in Boca, an easy drive to Delray, and is more reasonably priced.

A couple can live OK on $90,000 in South Florida, provided that you aren't overcommitted with high debt payments on cars, credit cards, student loans. You have to avoid the tendency to get into "vacation mode" if you move here, spending too much on eating out, partying etc.

I think you would need to look closely at factors such as your career potential here, whether your wife can advance her career as well, plus how you'll meet your existing financial obligations.

You might get better results posting this in the West Palm Beach forum.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:13 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,400,009 times
I agree with all the posters and I would def check Delray Beach and Boyton Beach like off of Haagan Ranch Rd very nice and more affordable than boca...and its not a far drive for you

Old 03-20-2012, 06:25 PM

Thanks everybody!

I will start looking around Delray / Boyton.

Of course since we've never lived near the beach, an apartment/condo/house near the beach would be great! Our renting budget is 900-1,200.

Do you think that is a reasonable budget for a rental say a few miles from the beach?

----------------
Also, I'm in the retirement industry so moving to S.Fla is like moving to Silicon Valley for someone in computer industry. I think it'll be a great move for my career and long term financial stability.... I just don't know if I can afford S.Fla with a $60,000 salary.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,400,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durazno View Post
Thanks everybody!

Of course since we've never lived near the beach, an apartment/condo/house near the beach would be great! Our renting budget is 900-1,200.

Do you think that is a reasonable budget for a rental say a few miles from the beach?

----------------
Also, I'm in the retirement industry so moving to S.Fla is like moving to Silicon Valley for someone in computer industry. I think it'll be a great move for my career and long term financial stability.... I just don't know if I can afford S.Fla with a $60,000 salary.
South florida is quite expensive the sticker shock for us was Food Shopping..But everything else we knew wasn't inexpensive for us its very comparable to living in NJ

Old 03-20-2012, 08:00 PM

99 posts, read 304,541 times
You know what, I misread your budget... for some reason I saw $1,800!!!! Just adjust the amounts on the Zillow page I sent you and you'll get more targeted rental rates... at that range you will definitely have to adjust living space or location... just on a hunch... however, IF your job is in the west end of town, I think that may work in your favor. If its on the east end, then you may have to deal with some traffic heading east in the morning and westbound in the afternoon.

We'll keep digging for you... Palm Beach county has some great places to live, you'll be just fine.

Quote:
Thanks everybody!

----------------

Old 03-21-2012, 07:11 AM

351 posts, read 1,128,014 times
Quote:
Thanks everybody!

----------------

You will probably have to adjust your expectations for what you can afford. I don't think you'll find anything that close to the beach for up to $1200, unless you're willing to settle for a very small studio or 1 bedroom.

However, there are nice rental communities within a very short drive to downtown Delray, Boca and the beach.

If you are indeed in the retirement industry then a relocation to South Florida may well be a good decision for you, especially if you expect your salary to grow steadily.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:16 AM

My job would be west of I95. Around 6 miles west of Mizner park (according to google maps).

Based on the job location ^^^ do you all thing Delray is the best option for commute and rent?

NEVER BEEN ON A FORUM SO HELPFUL ! THANKS

I will be checking zillow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area