Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 02:45 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,396,636 times

Advertisements

We are starting to visit colleges with our son..We are going to FIU, FAU and North Broward since it also offers 4 year degrees...Does anyone have any Input on this school? He is looking into the PT Program but it is a PT assistant and yes it is Accredited and is planning to go for his BS and then Doctorate in PT/Orthopedic and Sports Medicine...any Recommendations, As we need to start filling out Applications.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 05:37 PM

444 posts, read 897,448 times
There's no such school as North Broward College. Are you sure you don't mean Broward College, North Campus?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigo View Post
There's no such school as North Broward College. Are you sure you don't mean Broward College, North Campus?
Broward College yes North Campus..thank you

Old 03-08-2012, 11:18 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,249,197 times
Swimmom, doesn't your son go to Spanish River and didn't you move to Boca for the good schools? Why are you considering these mediocre schools for your son given your apparent concern about the quality of his education?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
We are starting to visit colleges with our son..We are going to FIU, FAU and North Broward since it also offers 4 year degrees...Does anyone have any Input on this school? He is looking into the PT Program but it is a PT assistant and yes it is Accredited and is planning to go for his BS and then Doctorate in PT/Orthopedic and Sports Medicine...any Recommendations, As we need to start filling out Applications.

Thank You

Old 03-08-2012, 01:36 PM

yes he does attend River and we are extremely happy with his education...Our son works very hard for his grades but isn't a scholar...long story but his freshman year he didnt do very well, his sophmore year he had surgery and did well but his GPA suffered a bit...this year he is on track with a 3.2 however since Freshman and Sophmore yr werent that high his overall is not high enough to enter right into a 4 yr university...and his ACT score is just average...He is determined to become a Physical Therapst Specializing in Orthopedic and sports medicine, and the fact that he has to have 2 yrs of Pre Requisits anyhow it wouldn't matter which school he attends as he will transfer to either FAU OR FIU to finish up his Bachelors Degree...However, Broward College offers an Assistant PT program and then obtain an AS degree and licensing so then he can go to FIU or FAU and continue to receive his Bachelors Degree. and then onto FIU for his Doctorate which he has to have to become Licensed..PBSC also has some courses he can take and still graduate with an AS then transfer...Our son has his heart set on FIU or FAU but since he doesn't have a lot of choices to start, I wanted to know what people's experience was with this particular school, or if anyone knew about their PT Assistant program....

Old 03-08-2012, 09:26 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,705,368 times
FAU is a great school and so is FIU.... Don't listen to the naysayers.

Broward is OK. I mean, it's a fully accredited legitimate degree. Most peopl do the "2+2 program" where they attend 2 years broward college and then 2 years at one of the florida state public universities, ie. FAU and FIU and still graduate in 4 years with a bachelor's degree.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:58 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,927,057 times
I think that your son would do better to be on the campus of a 4 year university from the start. There is a difference in the motivation of students at Broward College and the 4 year universities and I think your son would be better off being surrounded by more motivated peers.

One thing does not make sense though. You say he is not a scholar yet he wants to get a Doctorate...How do those two things fit together?

Old 03-09-2012, 09:19 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,705,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think that your son would do better to be on the campus of a 4 year university from the start. There is a difference in the motivation of students at Broward College and the 4 year universities and I think your son would be better off being surrounded by more motivated peers.

One thing does not make sense though. You say he is not a scholar yet he wants to get a Doctorate...How do those two things fit together?
I agree with you. I think the "quality" of student attending a 4 year university tends to be a more serious student and overall, more motivated.... I think a 4 year university is more condusive to success and has better retention rates than the 2 year colleges.

I mean to be quite honest....Broward college, Palm Beach, Miami-dade, etc....they're generally for students who cannot get admitted into a 4 year university or for an adult student who is going back to school, etc...

I'm not saying that they are bad, but it attracts a different type of student

Old 03-09-2012, 09:33 AM

Momma yes he wants to go for his doctorate but like I said his GPA Is not high enough to attend FIU out of the gate Doesn't mean he wont be able to obtain his Doctorate it has a lot to do with Maturity and drive and my DH is very successful and have no doubt that our Son will be too...he is a B student and is very determined individual..Optimus thank you for your response, again the fact that he has to take those Pre-Req's and some of his friends who plan to attend Law School will be starting out at PBSC or Broward as well doesn't mean they won't be able to handle Law School...or they aren't Smart Enough...My Son's Grades in Science are all A's and B's which is what he needs for PT so Im not worried..there is tutoring in College and one doesn't need to be a Scholar there is more to being book smart....

Old 03-09-2012, 01:37 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,249,197 times
I'm surprised that a B student at one of the best high schools in Florida can't get into a 4 year school in Florida. I don't mean to sound elitist at all, but these schools you are discussing aren't Ivy League. I'm curious as to why you don't think he would get in immediately. I second the other poster that his chances of success are increased if he enters a more challenging environment with more serious students immediately. There are too many cavalier students at Broward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Momma yes he wants to go for his doctorate but like I said his GPA Is not high enough to attend FIU out of the gate Doesn't mean he wont be able to obtain his Doctorate it has a lot to do with Maturity and drive and my DH is very successful and have no doubt that our Son will be too...he is a B student and is very determined individual..Optimus thank you for your response, again the fact that he has to take those Pre-Req's and some of his friends who plan to attend Law School will be starting out at PBSC or Broward as well doesn't mean they won't be able to handle Law School...or they aren't Smart Enough...My Son's Grades in Science are all A's and B's which is what he needs for PT so Im not worried..there is tutoring in College and one doesn't need to be a Scholar there is more to being book smart....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
View detailed profiles of: