Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 01:57 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Momma yes he wants to go for his doctorate but like I said his GPA Is not high enough to attend FIU out of the gate Doesn't mean he wont be able to obtain his Doctorate it has a lot to do with Maturity and drive and my DH is very successful and have no doubt that our Son will be too...he is a B student and is very determined individual..Optimus thank you for your response, again the fact that he has to take those Pre-Req's and some of his friends who plan to attend Law School will be starting out at PBSC or Broward as well doesn't mean they won't be able to handle Law School...or they aren't Smart Enough...My Son's Grades in Science are all A's and B's which is what he needs for PT so Im not worried..there is tutoring in College and one doesn't need to be a Scholar there is more to being book smart....
If he is a B student he should be able to be admitted to FAU or FIU. Have you checked? FAU and FIU are ok schools but their admissions standards are not super high. I am an FAU graduate so I am not knocking the school. I would check if I were you.

When I was at FAU (2004-2009) some of my fellow students were enrolled at FAU but took a few classes at Palm Beach Community College to save some money. They all commented on the difference between the students and professors on the FAU campus vs the PBCC campus. I think that if your son could get into FAU or FIU off the bat it would be better for him. However, if he can't then he should do what he needs to do to acheive his goals. If that means enrolling at a 2 year school, then do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 02:08 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
FAU and FIU require 3.0 and 3.2 GPA and 25 on the ACT..Depending on what time of the year he applies...What we might do is see how he finishes this year with his GPA and have him maybe keep taking the ACT...and write a letter on why he would like to attend that school....and see what happens..Again worst case senario he will attend one of the 2 year schools and transfer because there aren't any tests he needs to take he would just have to maintain a 2.0 Average over all..He is shooting for a 3.0 GPA the 1st 2 years so we will see what the next few years brings...

Old 03-09-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
FAU and FIU require 3.0 and 3.2 GPA and 25 on the ACT..Depending on what time of the year he applies...What we might do is see how he finishes this year with his GPA and have him maybe keep taking the ACT...and write a letter on why he would like to attend that school....
That's different than what I see on the FAU website...- Freshmen Requirements. Call them.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:30 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
That's different than what I see on the FAU website...- Freshmen Requirements. Call them.
Yes, call them. Plus, these are just guidelines, not bright lines... has he also taken the SAT? Perhaps he will perform better on that test... and I'm sure colleges will look at his grade at Spanish River differently than the same grade at a less competitive high school.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Yes, call them. Plus, these are just guidelines, not bright lines... has he also taken the SAT? Perhaps he will perform better on that test... and I'm sure colleges will look at his grade at Spanish River differently than the same grade at a less competitive high school.
I just know that not all of my classmates at FAU had a 3.0 in high school and a 25 on the ACT. I don't know how they got in, but they did. Most of them did well.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:01 PM

unfortunately it has gotten very competitive his friend was just turned down for FAU and I spoke with our son's guidance counselor said today that quiet a few kids are being turned down at these schools..Our son is also in DECA and went to State Competition last year didnt go this this year but his book should go again next year I do know that they look at that too..Thank you for all your responses I certainly will call these schools again and see what they are requiring...Yes he did take the ACT once to get a baseline but will be taking again...I will also call FIU and see what their requirements are too because we had college night at the school, and this was the information we were given from these schools on their admission Policy's..

Old 03-10-2012, 01:08 PM

74 posts, read 129,148 times
Quote:
unfortunately it has gotten very competitive his friend was just turned down for FAU and I spoke with our son's guidance counselor said today that quiet a few kids are being turned down at these schools..Our son is also in DECA and went to State Competition last year didnt go this this year but his book should go again next year I do know that they look at that too..Thank you for all your responses I certainly will call these schools again and see what they are requiring...Yes he did take the ACT once to get a baseline but will be taking again...I will also call FIU and see what their requirements are too because we had college night at the school, and this was the information we were given from these schools on their admission Policy's..
I can't fiqure out what these schools are requiring because I hear of much weaker students than your son being accepted into FIU and FAU.But,I wouldn't concern myself over it because he is choosing a good field to go into where he should have no trouble getting a good job and being successful.I graduated from a very good out of state school in a difficult field and have never been able to find good employment due to a poor match between my field of study and Florida's area of job growth.But your son who is choosing a high demand field of study down here should not have any problems whether he attends FIU,FAU,or Broward College.So don't sweat it.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:31 PM

thank you Lor for your response this whole college stuff is pretty confusing since he is our Oldest..lol and well you know I hear the same thing as you which is why it just Baffled me. I guess I should really call the school and see whom I can speak with, because I have gotten conflicting information. I know he has his heart set on FIU because of the Doctorate PT program after his 4 years but he would be very happy at FAU...

Old 03-12-2012, 10:46 AM

415 posts, read 1,666,293 times
Honestly, I would recommend going to Broward Community College for the first two years and then transfer to a four year college. It's a good way to save money and also gives him a chance to make up for an average high school career. If he does well at BCC (>3.5 GPA), maybe he could get into much better school, like UF or FSU.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:25 PM

I so agree with you after talking about with DH and a friend of the family and some of his Teachers at School, this seems to be the best route for him and Def get his GPA up going into his Junior and Senior Yr of FAU or FIU... FAU has an excellent Fitness education program for people who want to specialize in sports medicine PT and other areas of the Body, which is what he wants to do, then again his plan is to finish out with a high GPA to apply to FIU for Graduate School when that times comes As He isnt interested in going away to college...and I think at this point the plan is going to be to go either PBSC or BCC route at this point and start there...

Thank You for your Response
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
View detailed profiles of: