Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:51 PM

12 posts, read 73,492 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of either American Heritage/Pine Crest or NBP for our son who we would like to transfer for his last 2 years of High School (moving from the UK). Can anyone give their thoughts on which is best and what the differences are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:32 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,708,307 times
I think they're all pretty comparable. Im partial to Heritage becoz that's where my kids went, but the best thing to do would be to visit all 3 and see which one you and your kids like the most. Also, if you know you want to live in a specific area, you could pick the school that's closest to home and work.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:13 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
My kids are also at Heritage and we have been really happy there. I think that all the schools you mentioned are very good schools and similar in academics.

One thing to keep in mind is that when you review SAT scores both Heritage and NBP are really 2 schools under one umbrella. Heritage has American Academy and NBP has Lighthouse Point Academy. Both academies are geared towards kids who have learning issues. Classes are smaller and academic requirements somewhat lower than the rest of the school. When you look at average SAT scores you will see slightly lower SAT scores at NBP and AHS because these students are rolled in with the other kids. It doesn't mean that the schools are necessarily worse schools.

One thing to keep in mind is that if your son is involved in lots of school activities the distance to school could be an issue. If you live far from school and you have a new driver you may not want them driving all the way to school for all their activities and you may wind up spending a fortune on gas for all those trips. It also can be a pain to go back and forth to school if your kids have lots of games or performances (my kids are in band, orchestra, sports and clubs).

The schools also have different philosophies. You may want to have your son shadow a student at each school to see which one he prefers.

Does your son have any activities that he likes? The different schools are strong in different areas. They all offer a variety of activities but each school is stronger in some areas than others. Heritage is very strong in art and music. So is Pinecrest.

All 3 schools have strong athletic departments but each school offers different sports and has some programs that are very strong with others that are not. If there is a sport your son plays you might want to check to see what kind of program there is at the school and meet with the coaches.

I would also say that if your son has particular activities that he likes you check out which schools are strong in those areas. For instance Pinecrest has a great debate team, Heritage's math team finished #1 in a national competition, etc....The three schools offer similar activities but some are stronger than others.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:29 AM

924 posts, read 1,676,385 times
I have talked to teachers that have taught at more than one of these schools. If you ask them if one is truly better than another, they will laugh and say no. Academically, they are very similar. They draw from the same area for teachers, they often use the same textbooks and curriculum for a subject and they are all trying to produce ivy league material graduates. The differences, as others are saying, are in what areas your child is interested in and their particular talents.

Of the three, I would choose between AHS or PC over NB. I have never heard anyone complain about either of those schools. I have heard numerous complaints over the years about a variety of issues and known of people who pulled their children out at NB. There are people who are happy there, but there are enough who have been unhappy to make you wonder why that is.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:46 PM

Thank you everyone for your input. From what I have seen on the websites and from people i've spoken to AH seems to be the front-runner. I have set up a tour for tomorrow and i'm sure i'll like it alot. My son is not particularly very sporty but he does love drama and there seems to be some other fields there that i'm sure will interest him. He's very into computers/technology and I think the daily tv programme they put out will really appeal to him too. We are moving to Weston so the journey won't be too far either which will be good.

We looked at Falcon Cove today too and that looks really lovely. Hopefully my other 2 boys will be get on well there.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:25 PM

9 posts, read 34,206 times
American Heritage

Old 04-04-2011, 02:27 PM

American Heritage it is! We had the tour and its fantastic. Thanks all!

Old 04-04-2011, 02:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlevene View Post
American Heritage it is! We had the tour and its fantastic. Thanks all!
Welcome! I hope your son loves it as much as my kids do.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:17 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,708,307 times
Terrific! It really is a great school.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:00 PM

Momma Bear and Fauve....what grades are your kids in? My son is going into 11th in August but since we're from the UK he won't know anyone there and it would great if he could get some email chat going with some kids before he comes. I'm bringing him at the end of June to do the test and finish the registration process!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area