Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 05:44 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Why did so many people move to South FL in the first place? And why do so few people live in Western NC? There surely must be a reason. I doubt so many people chose to move here for no reason.

People are moving out because it has become a major city and too crowded for many people. Still, there are more people moving in than out. Same can be said for any city in America. People move out of cities to more rural areas. Others like being in a metro area as opposed to a rural mountain area. $300,000 average home price was true 8 years ago, but not today. The housing prices are at 30 year lows.

Crime? Do you have any statistics to back up what you're saying? I doubt it because South FL's crime stats are pretty average compared to other cities around the country. Also, our murder rates are very low compared to most cities. Again, these "problems" seem to be your perception which is based on nothing but myth. South FL is not for everyone. Florida in general is not for everyone. NC is a very nice place as well for entirely different reasons. NC is not for everyone. Simple is that. But to say South FL is a "dump", well you are just bashing at that point. There are lots of nice areas here. I could just as easily say Western NC is a dump, since there is nothing there but a few mountain cabins.

You obviously just came on here to bash FL. If your only advice is to say "don't move here" then you offer nothing. If you have nothing to offer other than baseless negative claims, then get lost. The original poster already has a job here. They are not going to give up their job because you tell them it is a "Dump" here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 05:37 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Sorry Nolefan34, never livedin FL at all. Wouldn't even consider it. Have traveled extensively throughout FL though, and spent extended vacations and time with friends and relatives there. If I had young girls, teenagers of any gender, depending on where they re in the midwest and if the familly can make a living, the children are better off staying there. Or looking for a more wholesome environment, like we have here in western NC.

Bless your heart Nolefan34.
How can you say whether south Florida provides a wholesome environment based on a few vacations?

Old 12-18-2010, 06:48 PM

8 posts, read 19,252 times
I have lived in South Florida my whole life (24 years young) and I would NOT recommend it here at all. Sure there are plenty of jobs (majority of them being minimum wage or door-to-door scams) but it's not worth all the cons of living here, not to mention only to struggle doing so.

I can NOT wait for the day I can pack up and move out of this hell. Over crowded, over priced, rude people, disgustingly humid weather year round, spanish taking over (yeah I said it, cry about it), etc.

This is NOT the place to raise your kids, if you want to move to "the always sunny and beautiful paradise of Florida," go to the North West at least.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:09 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,050,573 times
wow..i hate to say this, but this story has DOOM written all over it. I do wish you luck though and hopefully you are one of the few that can change it around and make your move to Miami a positive one.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:13 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,050,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr EW3 View Post
I have lived in South Florida my whole life (24 years young) and I would NOT recommend it here at all. Sure there are plenty of jobs (majority of them being minimum wage or door-to-door scams) but it's not worth all the cons of living here, not to mention only to struggle doing so.

I can NOT wait for the day I can pack up and move out of this hell. Over crowded, over priced, rude people, disgustingly humid weather year round, spanish taking over (yeah I said it, cry about it), etc.

This is NOT the place to raise your kids, if you want to move to "the always sunny and beautiful paradise of Florida," go to the North West at least.

Your kids should learn to be bilingual..it is a HUGE plus..pretty much everywhere now. Be resistant to change and you will be passed up for a job. Embrace it...don't be scared and run away from it !

Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 AM

8 posts, read 19,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Your kids should learn to be bilingual..it is a HUGE plus..pretty much everywhere now. Be resistant to change and you will be passed up for a job. Embrace it...don't be scared and run away from it !
I work for myself, no need for a job. Call me ignorant but I also have no interest doing work for someone who doesn't speak a lick of English. Come to my Country, learn my language, just like I would do if I moved and lived in their Country.

I don't sugar coat anything, I'm one of the few that tells it like it is.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:08 PM

216 posts, read 438,266 times
If you have other options besides the Miami job, I'd seriously consider them. Of course, knowing today's economy, this may be the best option. I just want to point out the following:

1. Commuting to downtown Miami is tough -traffic is a bear, and this city offers little in the way of public transit.

2. It will be very tough to get your family in a good neighborhood at your price range, especially in reasonable distance for your commute. It would be nice to have your family in Broward but the commute will be hellacious especially if you are not used to a long traffic-ridden commute.

3. The culture clash when moving from the midwest will be significant. Depending on your kids' ages this could be a real challenge.

I just wanted to point out these issues so the OP knows what some of the concerns and considerations should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area