Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 06:25 PM

20 posts, read 47,783 times

Advertisements

Hello.

First off, I have to say that I really appreciate all of the comments that you all have provided on this forum. It has been very helpful.

My wife and I recently moved to COS from Florida. We settled in Monument, CO (just north of COS). While we somewhat like the area, we have had a tough time 'cracking' the culture here....it has been hard for all of us, including my twin 10 y/o's and 12 y/o to make friends. While are are not overly-religious, it seems that there are many folks here who like to impress their spiritual beliefs upon us. We are Catholic, but it seems that the first question out of some folks mouths when we moved here was 'What religion are you?". This would be the last question I would think of asking a new neighbor. So the bottom line, is that we do not feel very comfortable in this area and are looking to move to other areas of Colorado.

We own and operate a very successful video gaming/Apple iPod sales and service business that we can locate anywhere. We even think we might do better in a college town with the gaming/iPod business.

In any case, we like to ski, we love the mountains and mountain views, we love the feel of smaller towns (with the old downtown area) but close enough to major shopping as well. We need the very best public schools for our kids and a very active environment for our kids to participate.

We have considered most areas and want opinions on whether Fort Collins/Loveland or possibly other areas might be a fit for us.

Rick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 08:29 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,852,080 times
You pointed out the main reason that we did not consider COS when we relocated to the front range. AFAIK all of the schools here are pretty good, we have friends in Ft Collins, Loveland and Windsor schools and the parents all like the schools.

We don't have kids and we bought in Loveland mainly because of the house, had it been similarly situated in Ft. Coll we would have bought there.

I'm guessing that the Fort may be a somewhat better match for your business than Loveland. Loveland has a lot of parks, always good for kids, and all of the schools seem to have pretty impressive extra curricular activities, sports, band, theatre etc.

Come on up for a couple of days and look around.

golfgod

Old 04-13-2009, 04:39 PM

35 posts, read 129,906 times
We are non-denominational, raised baptist. I can understand your frustration. I was going back over all the stats i have on Fort Collins again this morning (since my husband got a response on a job opening at the Sherrif's office there). The city, according to a cost of living comparison-online...there are a good amount of catholics in the area. Then the other half if predominately protestant. I would think, with the ample outdoor recreational activities for the kids, the active lifestyle of a college town, yet the feel of a smaller town (from what everyone's been telling me)...and the stats on the religion preferences there...it would be a good fit.

goldgod has great advice. Since you're already in the state (we're down here in south east texas)...take a weekend trip with the family and see for yourself!

Hope it all works out for you, your spouse and kids!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:19 PM

423 posts, read 1,960,333 times
[quote=BusyMammaOf3;8325913] (since my husband got a response on a job opening at the Sherrif's office there). QUOTE]

I have worked at the sheriffs office for 25 years now. Let me know if you need anything.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:21 PM

423 posts, read 1,960,333 times
Shopsafe-I think everything you mentioned you can find in Fort Collins. I have lived here over 25 years and love it. I don't feel any religious pressure here as you mention. There is good shopping in Loveland and Denver is less than an hour away. As far as skiing you will be a little ways from that but it can be done in a days trip.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:43 AM

59 posts, read 194,307 times
Shopsafe - One thing to consider with your business is the difference in rent between Loveland and Fort Collins for commercial space. I agree with Tom, Fort Collins is a great place to relocate, but the rents are a little higher... but the population (college area) may serve your business better. Loveland is Thompson school district and Fort Collins is Poudre school district. The scores seem to be a little higher in Poudre School District and they have a variety of programs for the kids. The schools have started to "specialize" in programming so it depends on what your kids are interested in or what there needs are as to what would be the best fit. There are great ski passes that you can get and it's an easy drive from Fort Fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area