Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,034 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a great job offer in CO and we are considering moving to Fort Collins. I have a 4 year old and baby due in Sept. I have never been to CO and everything is moving rather fast. With this job we can move anywhere in CO, but my husband thought Fort Collins looked fun.
Is it a good place to move with kids? If yes, what neighborhoods should we consider keeping school districts and safety in mind? Do you think it is appropriate to move to Fort Collins being that it is a college town? Also, if not Fort Collins, do you have any other areas you recommend for a young family in CO?
Thanks for any advice you have. We just want this to be a good experience for us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 04:50 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Denver is the big job area and has massive amounts of things to do, museums, arts, culture, pro sports.

There are tons of places in Denver metro area.

Especially on short notice, you are far better to rent a year and spend the time looking around the region and seeing all that is available before attempting to make a decision on buying.

Renting in FC is fine, as would be many areas in the Denver metro area.

If he has to fly much, you'll want to be closer to Denver.

Most school systems out here are very good, no need to worry.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:59 AM

95 posts, read 290,722 times
Louisville is like THE family town, its right outside boulder. My mom lives there and i where ever to have kids an live in Colorado i wouldn't hesitate to try to raise them there.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:55 PM

152 posts, read 767,426 times
Kelly, the place is a COLLEGE TOWN! It's overrun with college kids all the time, night and day. I don't know when they ever study! It's not a FAMILY town. It's busy and congested, full of traffic. I hope you'll find some place more "hometown."

Old 07-12-2011, 09:32 PM

58 posts, read 142,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally36 View Post
Kelly, the place is a COLLEGE TOWN! It's overrun with college kids all the time, night and day. I don't know when they ever study! It's not a FAMILY town. It's busy and congested, full of traffic. I hope you'll find some place more "hometown."
I respectfully disagree with this post.

I have been a graduate student at CSU for 2.5 years now, and have lived in quite a few areas around town. Currently I live on the southside right across from troutman park.

Yeah, its a college town. Its hard to escape the fact that there is a college with 25,000 students located in the heart of town. However, I've lived in a few college towns, and can tell you that this is pretty laid back for a college town.

It all boils down to one thing: It all depends on where you live. As you start getting away from campus, it starts getting out of the student housing. I live in a neighborhood that is nothing but families. I have not once had any incidents with rowdy neighbors/students/parties.

I think you would be doing yourself a huge disfavor by immediately removing fort collins from your list of places to live just because a college is located here. There are a LOT of amenities that fort collins has that caters to young families...There's a reason why people always consider this one of the top places to live in the country.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 AM

166 posts, read 432,752 times
I agree with Cmanuel. I live in SE Fort Collins (Horsetooth and Timberline area). It is all young families and professional people. Moved here last november with my job. My 18 yr old son lives with us and attends college here... he is the only college student we ever see over here! Come and see for yourself

Old 07-15-2011, 11:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
For No CO I would choose Loveland. Less traffic, smaller, friendlier, close enough to FC to go when you need / want too. I have a friend who likes Louisville (for over 40 yrs). It is too close to Denver /metro for me. I don't do stoplights, thus I would live in Virginia Dale or Nunn. Berthoud, is not too shabby but possibly too small for an 'active' family.

If my choices were unencumbered. I would choose something on the Western side, probably Glenwood Springs. (Carbondale).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area