Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:20 PM

7 posts, read 18,562 times

Advertisements

Hi all

My wife and I are thinking of making the big move to CO in Dec or Jan, but we were wondering about all those mountains and snow along the way. We have a small front wheel drive at the moment, so no 4WD until later.

Is there some route from No. Calif to Ft. Collins that is likely to be clear that time of the year? Via Phoenix and NM maybe?

And would Dec be better than Jan for less snow maybe?

Any help appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 10:10 PM

827 posts, read 5,079,405 times
In the winter, from Phoenix, I take Interstate 10 to Las Cruces and up I25 to Colorado Springs and on to Denver to see my family and friends in the metro Denver area. Going up 17 to Flagstaff, you can run into snow and over Wolf Creek can be bad on Highway 160. You do have the pass by Raton on I25 but usually it is much better than the others.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:28 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
check http://www.cotrip.org/ for road closures and weather related highway closures.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:41 AM

So my idea of going through the Southwest is pretty much the only choice then, right? Just want to confirm that since it's definitely the long way around from the San Fran / San Jose region.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:40 AM

75 posts, read 262,016 times
I have the same question, but from LA to Durango in mid November. Would the weather be bad then? What about from Durango to TN, any roads that might not be driveable? We were thinking mid November was still early enough, but what do I know?

Old 10-04-2006, 06:55 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,341,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdemil View Post
So my idea of going through the Southwest is pretty much the only choice then, right? Just want to confirm that since it's definitely the long way around from the San Fran / San Jose region.
If I had to take that drive and was driving a passenger car I would take 80, keeping in mind that I could hit some pretty dangerous situations. I would make sure and pack a survival kit, but they keep Interstates pretty well plowed, and if it becomes dangerous they are going to close the road. I do have a lot of experience driving in the snow though and that might factor in your decision. However, if I had to drive a UHaul I would take the extra days and go south. There is not enough money in the world to get me to drive though the mountains in the winter in a large truck. Also December would be a better time to do that drive, but if you are going south I'm not sure it matters.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:12 AM

66 posts, read 493,902 times
I have relatives who live in San Jose and they always drove back for Christmas coming the I-80 route.

I don't think your chances of hitting bad weather in Wyoming are any greater than hitting a storm coming over Raton Pass on I-25. The other think about coming from the south on I-25 is that you will also hit Monument just north of Colorado Springs, which can be as bad or worse than some of the passes.

Take 2b's advice and check the roads and weather sites before you start out.

If you need any help locating a place to stay or buy, look me up.

Old 10-05-2006, 01:59 AM

827 posts, read 5,079,405 times
Bdemil, I agree with the others, if you take the north route, go on I-80. Utah can get some good amounts of snow sometimes, so check with the weather before you go. Whatever you do, I'd avoid I-70. It can be really scary when snow hits and it can get a lot of snow to boot.

Abcde, from LA, you can go up I-15 then over to I-40 and go to Flagstaff and Gallup and then at Gallup go up Hwy 491. Flagstaff can get snow. It never did seem as bad there as up in the Rockies like Wolf Creek, but just make sure Flagstaff is OK and that is the way I'd go since it is much quicker. November should be fine for southern Colorado but check the weather since there can be storm systems come into Colorado, otherwise you should be fine.
From Durango to TN, go on Highway 550 to I-40 and go that way and you should be good to go.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:28 AM

OK - I see 80 goes through Salt Lake then WY and then I hit Rt. 25 down into Ft Collins.

I remember seeing snow on the mountains. in June when driving to visit my sister in Salt Lake once. So I think we'll need some luck in getting all the way across NV and UT in Dec or Jan without some of the fluffy white stuff slowing us down.

We'll be in a front-wheel drive compact with a small u-Haul trailer on it if you can believe that. But I can bring some light chains in case we need them.

I suppose if one or two days get bad, we can always stop into a motel and let them get the highway cleared before we continue.

We'll also take some winter survival stuff and a deck of cards in case we get stranded way out there. We've been watching SurvivorMan (See: survivorman dot ca) so we've got some good pointers too! (Episode 5 - Canadian Arctic Survial)

Old 10-05-2006, 10:44 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
include food, an extra blanket, flashlight & batteries, AAA or other Auto club card (and membership dues are paid), water, fully inflated spare, cell phone, check in with someone on a schedule, and let them know your route.

be prepared for anything, and nothing usually happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area