Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 02:36 PM

7 posts, read 18,621 times

Advertisements

Will do! Thanks for all the help guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 12:55 AM

4 posts, read 6,420 times
Default Don't Take I-80 in the Winter!

I've driven from L.A. to Denver round trip about a dozen times throughout the past 20 years. Take the most direct route. December is better than January for Travel. Yes, you will have to drive through the desert, and go over the mountains. (F.Y.I. Colorado doesn't get as much snow as it used to 20 years ago) Taking the southern route through Northern A.Z. and N.M., will not only take longer, but they can get just as much snow, in the Winter. I-70 is has much milder temps than I-80, where you will run into a lot more snow and Ice.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:03 AM

2,253 posts, read 7,016,474 times
Wink No problemo (but pay attention)

December would be better than January, weather-wise, but the key thing is to travel BETWEEN storms. You might encounter anything from clear roads to a blizzard, so prepare for the worst. AND do your best to avoid that by watching the weather closely. As well, as you suggested, ready to stop wherever necessary should inclement weather intervene.

Front wheel drive is perfectly adequate in snow (with good all season tires a mandatory minimum—dedicated winter tires preferred). Pulling a trailer is another matter, giving you less room for error. Carrying chains you know how to install (as in having done so at least once, even if in the dry driveway) is necessary. Again, plan for that you do your best to avoid.

The best route (according to me) from northern California to Colorado is straight across. Meaning via US 50 from Carson City, NV to I-15 in jogging over through Scipio, UT to I-70, and then straight on east to Denver. Lots of great scenery, and US 50 enjoys little traffic (as well services through Nevada). However, if in a snow storm, one might wish to reconsider.

I-80 is in many respects the most feasible route. Be sure to consider if enjoying interstates, lots of traffic, and semi-trucks. Same applies to I-40. Also know that if I-80 is not all that mountainous through the Rockies in Wyoming, the issue there are totally wicked wind storms, basically ground blizzards. To the extent that in places they've installed permanent gates that can be closed to halt all traffic if weather dictates. I kid you not.

If in some doubt as to the weather, choosing a southern route is your best option. That basically means I-40 to Albuquerque and then I-25 north. If preferable in need, this route can still experience severe winter weather at times. Flagstaff, AZ, for one, routinely receives a lot of snow. It sits as a high island of sorts in north-central Arizona, so the greater amount of snow encountered could well be in but a distance of 30 to 40 miles. But still more sheltered, and if less snow east of there, conditions still could be more severe. I've seen when I-40 was entirely closed due winter weather near Grants, NM.

The only pass of consequence on I-25 on that route is Raton Pass, being one of the easier ones in Colorado. But it is at times closed due inclement winter weather. I-25 is a simple enough drive north, but no picnic in severe weather (to put it mildly).

On the other hand, it is entirely possible, especially in December, to drive across on perfectly dry roads. Particularly if choosing the more scenic and less traveled roads, it can prove a most enjoyable drive. This is entirely possible. Also bear in mind that the distance from point A to B is not much more than 24 hours; meaning two solid days driving or one solid road warrior excursion straight through. Even at two days that is but a window of about 48 hours. If one cannot schedule a trip in such a weather window then something is wrong. Only try avoiding travel directly after a storm due possible latent snow on the road (or just every so often on some shaded corner unlooked for).

It can be a great trip. Make it so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area