Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 01:58 PM

99 posts, read 124,525 times

Advertisements

Wanting to find out a bit about the Fort Collins area. What are considered the not so nice areas of towns, or neighborhoods to stay away from?

Were looking at rental property and have no idea as to what the areas we are looking at are like.

thanks for ur help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 06:47 PM

192 posts, read 470,911 times
Where I wouldn't consider good:
Far west of campus- Taft/ Stuart area, quite a few student rentals that get messy.
North west of down town- Laport St area, while there are some nice places, still a bit sketchy.

Pretty good overall south of down town, but still lots of good mixed in in the north.
What would be helpful is if you explain what you would like to have nearby.
Hope this helps.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:55 PM

229 posts, read 929,214 times
It would be helpful to know what you're trying to avoid (traffic? noise? crime? student parties?) and what you want in a rental (house, apartment, condo?). Do you have kids in school?

The neighborhoods can be quite variable within a very small geographic area, but if you give us an idea of what you mean, we might be able to help.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:39 PM

99 posts, read 124,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauleahere&there View Post
It would be helpful to know what you're trying to avoid (traffic? noise? crime? student parties?) and what you want in a rental (house, apartment, condo?). Do you have kids in school?

The neighborhoods can be quite variable within a very small geographic area, but if you give us an idea of what you mean, we might be able to help.
Yes we will have 3 kids, would like to live in good school district near shopping, within 20min drive for things to do, and prefer to rent a house budget is 1200mth for rent.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:51 PM

229 posts, read 929,214 times
There are some lovely quiet neighborhoods just south of Old Town, bordered by Mulberry, Prospect, College and Lemay. They are by no means the only ones, but that puts you into reasonable schools and proximity to parks, playgrounds, the Edora pool and rec center and shopping. The neighborhoods that I know best are Indian Hills, Stover area, and Eastside Park, and you should be able to find a nice (older) home to rent within your price range. Of course there are other lovely neighborhoods--Parkwood, east of Lemay and north of Drake is one.

Here's a map.

Last edited by lauleahere&there; 04-28-2012 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: Added map.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:16 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmac22 View Post
Yes we will have 3 kids, would like to live in good school district near shopping, within 20min drive for things to do, and prefer to rent a house budget is 1200mth for rent.
Fort Collins isn't that large, so most things in the city are a 20 mins. drive (or even a 20 mins. bike ride) away. I may be wrong (as I don't have kids), but I thought most of the schools in the city were good, and there isn't a huge variance around town.

I think your budget is the biggest limiting factor (if you're looking to rent a house that is), and may dictate where you move more than anything.

Personally there are VERY few places I would avoid in the Fort. Maybe right off of College north of the Poudre river, and the developments across from and north of the CSU stadium (though they do have great access to trails and parks).

Old 05-05-2012, 10:14 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
Here is a crime map, while there are not many neighborhoods I would consider really bad, there is crime in fort collins.
My Neighborhood Update

I know the paper really does not cover much of the crime that happens in fort collins, but almost 32 crimes per 1000 people is not all that great for a city with 144,000 people, and that has came down in the last year when it was 34 per 1000 people.
Crime Statistics: City of Fort Collins

Old 05-17-2012, 09:36 AM

95 posts, read 290,743 times
according to the methhead neighbors i had when i first moved here (they where all arrested within a fw months of us moving in)

Central north appears to be the 'bad' part of town (north of vine street and collegE). Although this is according to a meth head. Honestly your in FOCO though, there shouldn't be crime other than the drunk underage college kid. Its not like your in east LA where there's real crime.

If you wanna get really upper class with it though the south side around west harmony is quite yuppie if that's more your style. But why move to a college town if you want the yuppie swag... i'd recommend a denver suburb above that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area