Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2006, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,480 times

Advertisements

I may be offered a position in Fort Collins, CO. I have never been there, but heard many very positive comments from people who have visited Boulder and surrounding towns.
Need some good advice from some of you who live in the area of Fort Collins as to where I can find a decent apartment the first year, and also where is a good community to search for a home? (just my wife and I)
What are some plain old good areas to look from any of you who live there?

Will be happy to provide more info.
Thanks alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2006, 10:30 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Fort Collins is a nice town, though I will say it's a bit different than Boulder if you've been there. There are similarities: both are college towns, both are considered desirable places to live, both have history and unique downtowns, etc. But Fort Collins is going to look a lot more like a "normal town" than Boulder.

There are plenty of apartments in town and prices are not too outrageous -- it all depends on how nice you want to go.

As for areas to live, it really depends on what you want. The north part of Fort Collins (approximately north of Drake Road) is more historic, has more character, and contains most of the entertainment and things to do, etc.

The south part is more new construction, mostly anytown-USA type stuff but also contains the large employers (HP, Intel, etc) concentrated around the Harmony and I-25 area. There's been a lot of sprawling growth to the extreme south as well (beyond Harmony Road), such that Loveland and Fort Collins have merged in spots. (If you can't tell I'm not too crazy about that new growth).

Fort Collins is pretty safe and spick-and-span -- I think you could live just about anywhere without any problems. If there's one area in town that's more run-down, and this is in a very relative sense, it would be perhaps the areas north of City Park around Laporte Avenue (this would be the northwests side), as well as some of the outlying areas beyond the Poudre river (though there are some beautiful areas out there too).

I hardly know what to recommend since I don't know what you want to be close to or what you want in a house. If it were me, I'd probably prefer living in an established neighborhood in the older section of town, within striking distance of "Old Town" -- that's what they call Fort Collins' small downtown. I'd also probably prefer NOT living within a few blocks of campus -- you know those undergraduates! -- the east side of College seems better in that way to me. On the other hand, if you're trying to live close to HP and the southeast, you might want to live close to work, or you might just prefer living in a newer neighborhood. You could try the Dakota Ridge, Stone Ridge, or Sunstone neighborhoods -- they are very close to the tech employers and I-25 but still in town and have housing stock mostly from the 1990s.

(I should say I dislike most of the neighborhoods built since the late 90s, as they seem poorly located, far out, with large tracts of homes on tiny lots -- but that's my point of view -- you might like them.)

Old 12-19-2006, 09:15 AM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 432,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopwak View Post
I may be offered a position in Fort Collins, CO. I have never been there, but heard many very positive comments from people who have visited Boulder and surrounding towns.
Need some good advice from some of you who live in the area of Fort Collins as to where I can find a decent apartment the first year, and also where is a good community to search for a home? (just my wife and I)
What are some plain old good areas to look from any of you who live there?

Will be happy to provide more info.
Thanks alot.
Fort Collins is a wonderful town. It is sooo clean and safe, we cannot wait to get there early next year!!

[moderator cut]

Apts in Fort Collins are cheaper than in Boulder. Stay away (or near) the "Old Town" area, depending on whether you wnat to be near the college party kids or not. Old Town is party kids headquarters.

Overall, Fort Collins is very nice, you will love it. We originally set out to move to Boulder, but we learned and checked out Fort Collins and we changed course... for the best!!

Merry Christmas!!
Chris

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-19-2006 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Off topic remarks deleted. OP seeks info on apts in FC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area