Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 01:05 AM

3 posts, read 9,979 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I need to take a trip to Estes park. Mapquest says it will take 16 hours. Has anyone done this trip straight through? With stops for gas and food, how long should I plan for? Also, I hear there is a 125 mile stretch of road in Utah without gas, food, bathrooms or reception. How will I know when that is coming up so that I can get gas.
I would appreciate any help!!
Devinlee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 06:51 AM

38 posts, read 196,483 times
I have driven a stretch thru Utah to Vegas from Colorado Springs before,and I would say that your best bet is to buy gas in the SW corner of Utah as you take I 15 north to join up to I 70...125 miles on even a half a tank is do-able...there are small towns in far stretches across Utah from what I remember,if you are going across on some smaller highway in another place thru Utah,then I do not know about any other way...lol...wishes for a safe trip and happy "touristing"..

Old 07-03-2007, 09:17 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
You should figure 19 hours driving from L.A. to Denver, plus another hour and a half to Estes Park.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:48 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
I hesitate to dignify this with a response, but the poster seems sincere, so . . .

Yes, there is some desolate country in Utah, particularly from Salina to Green River, and Green River to Grand Junction, Colorado. There are a few gas stations (which, of course will charge you plenty) and rest stops even in that stretch, though. Compared to the some of the country away from the highway, though, the Interstate seems downright civilized.

Want desolation? Come on up to Wyoming where there is some country that will put Utah to shame. 100+ miles between towns in many places. THAT'S desolation. Funny thing, the locals seem to deal with it just fine. Not just the macho men, either. I know plenty of Wyoming women who drive all over the state by themselves--no problem at all. Oh, a few of 'em do carry a loaded .357 under the seat for a little "insurance." In the rural Rocky Mountain West, it's not just the criminals who may be "packing." Maybe that's why we wave at people we meet on the road, not flip them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area