Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 12:15 PM

17 posts, read 38,410 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I have been looking to relocate to Ft. Collins for about a year now (I currently live in Prescott, AZ) and I work in higher education. I have been surprised to learn that many jobs at CSU pay a maximum of $37,000 a year! I lived in Flagstaff before Prescott and worked for NAU. However, NAU's wages were not conducive to living a sustainable lifestyle in Flag and therefore, I had to leave. I don't want to make the same mistake again. I loooove the feel of Ft. Collins and am in my mid-30's. I am seeking a younger environment than is offered in a retirement town like Prescott, AZ.

Is anyone out there in a similar situation (making about 37K a year) and are you able to have a relatively comfortable lifestyle? Or...would anyone suggest looking for a lower cost of living? Any information provided would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 12:23 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
It depends. Are you married or single? Kids? Renting or owning? How are your monthly expenses (car payment, student loans, credit card debt). Can it be done? Sure. Are you going to be out on the town living it up every weekend? Probably not.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:08 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,094 times
I was pretty comfortable there on only $31,000/year, also from CSU.

I was also renting in a shared house, so that was only $450-500/month. So I would definitely say it was doable even if you wanted to get an apartment alone for $700-800/month.

I had a ski pass, went hiking and biking all the time. Sure you're not rolling in the dough, but one of the nice things about CO, is that lots of your entertainment (ie. outdoor activities), will be free.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:09 PM

Hi, bluescreen 73. Thanks for replying. I am Cohabiting with a boyfriend but he will most likely be unemployed for a bit if we move to FC. I would be looking to rent--hopefully a two-bedroom house. No kids. I have a new car payment and some student loan debt. No credit card debt and I'm looking to keep it that way. I just don't want to get into dept like I did in Flagstaff, which is a really pricey place to live. Is it relatively easy to find a two-bedroom house to rent in a safe area? What are the utilities like? Thanks!

Old 07-28-2010, 01:10 PM

Hi, davemess 10. Thanks for posting. Your post has provided some relief. :-) Do you still live in FC?

Old 07-28-2010, 06:01 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr152 View Post
Hi, bluescreen 73. Thanks for replying. I am Cohabiting with a boyfriend but he will most likely be unemployed for a bit if we move to FC.
He might be unemployed quite a bit. Colorado is a high demand state. Lot's and lot's and lot's of people looking to move in and relatively no one is moving out. Employers have their pick of the best and brightest due to the surplus of workers which of course translates to lower wages and let's not forget the almost depression the country's in. It has affected Colorado as well.

Have you been to Fort Collins before? I'd spend some time checking out the place if you haven't and not just the tourist attractions. Last time I was there it was pretty congested but that was 2006. The number of cars on the Front Range amazes me as well as the sprawl and infill.

Also, have you secured an interview for this postion that pays $37,000? If that's the maximum it'll mean you won't get that to start typically. Usually employers tend to hire at the bottom end of the scale and my guess is if $37 is the top then $28 is the bottom so you'd end up at $30K to 32K depending on how bad your competition wants to be in Fort Collins too. Even at 30K - 32K, I think FC is doable and you probably could find a really nice bungalow for $800 a month and not have to share anything with roommates other than you DP. Heck you probably could find a pretty decent 3/2 ranch for that much up there. Perhaps your DP will find a job that pays around $22K to $25K and you'd be able to buy a decent house in that qualification range.

In any case, I'd check the place out first, possibly in conjunction with a job interview if you haven't already. Look at some rentals. Look at some places for sale. Don't limit it to FC. Look at Loveland, Windsor, Ault places like that. Aside from the sprawl and crowds, FC is a really nice college and retirement city. Good services and infrastructure are in place anyways. No Trader Joe's...darn but hey I don't live there either.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever View Post
He might be unemployed quite a bit. Colorado is a high demand state. Lot's and lot's and lot's of people looking to move in and relatively no one is moving out. Employers have their pick of the best and brightest due to the surplus of workers which of course translates to lower wages and let's not forget the almost depression the country's in. It has affected Colorado as well.

Have you been to Fort Collins before? I'd spend some time checking out the place if you haven't and not just the tourist attractions. Last time I was there it was pretty congested but that was 2006. The number of cars on the Front Range amazes me as well as the sprawl and infill.

Also, have you secured an interview for this postion that pays $37,000? If that's the maximum it'll mean you won't get that to start typically. Usually employers tend to hire at the bottom end of the scale and my guess is if $37 is the top then $28 is the bottom so you'd end up at $30K to 32K depending on how bad your competition wants to be in Fort Collins too. Even at 30K - 32K, I think FC is doable and you probably could find a really nice bungalow for $800 a month and not have to share anything with roommates other than you DP. Heck you probably could find a pretty decent 3/2 ranch for that much up there. Perhaps your DP will find a job that pays around $22K to $25K and you'd be able to buy a decent house in that qualification range.

In any case, I'd check the place out first, possibly in conjunction with a job interview if you haven't already. Look at some rentals. Look at some places for sale. Don't limit it to FC. Look at Loveland, Windsor, Ault places like that. Aside from the sprawl and crowds, FC is a really nice college and retirement city. Good services and infrastructure are in place anyways. No Trader Joe's...darn but hey I don't live there either.

Hi, Ziasforever:

Thanks for your post. Wow--NO Trader Joe's?? That IS a bummer!! But, I think I can live with that. I was actually offered a job in Ft. Collins at CSU 6 months ago and didn't take it because my boyfriend wasn't ready to move. They had offered me the top, 37 K, and I am fairly confident that I will receive the same type of salary offer if I am given an offer this time. I have several years of experience and have actually reached the point in my career where I seem to be getting many offers for interviews, even in a tough economy. I'm not trying to "toot my own horn, " just stating the facts. So, I have regretted the decision not to take the job at CSU 6 months ago and my boyfriend is now more willing to move. However, the BIG concern is the possibility that he may be unemployed for quite awhile. Do you know if there are any temp agencies in Ft. C? Did you live there yourself? If so, how long?

I am also looking at Portland, OR, where it looks like I'd be paid a higher salary but all that rain freaks me out a bit. I grew up on the East Coast and the lack of sun really had an effect on me. So...that one is still under debate as well.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,265 times
Quote:
Hi, Ziasforever:

Thanks for your post. Wow--NO Trader Joe's?? That IS a bummer!! But, I think I can live with that. I was actually offered a job in Ft. Collins at CSU 6 months ago and didn't take it because my boyfriend wasn't ready to move. They had offered me the top, 37 K, and I am fairly confident that I will receive the same type of salary offer if I am given an offer this time. I have several years of experience and have actually reached the point in my career where I seem to be getting many offers for interviews, even in a tough economy. I'm not trying to "toot my own horn, " just stating the facts. So, I have regretted the decision not to take the job at CSU 6 months ago and my boyfriend is now more willing to move. However, the BIG concern is the possibility that he may be unemployed for quite awhile. Do you know if there are any temp agencies in Ft. C? Did you live there yourself? If so, how long?

I am also looking at Portland, OR, where it looks like I'd be paid a higher salary but all that rain freaks me out a bit. I grew up on the East Coast and the lack of sun really had an effect on me. So...that one is still under debate as well.
Portland definitely pays better than Fort Collins but it does come at a price. Presently I live in Bend, which is on the "sunny, dry side" of the Cascades. However, we are still greatly influenced by the PNW weather pattern. If you are used to the desert SW (not sure where you live now), it will certainly be a shocker, especially if you are a sun worshiper like me! Fort Collins is a great place and has the sun in the winter. I'd easily give up a huge chuck of salary for that alone. People say it's not bad, just a mist or drizzle at most, but it's actually the gray skies and cloud cover for me. Winter is very, very long here. The temperatures in Portland are mild, but that's because the precipitation is falling as rain instead of snow.

If you don't need to go out several times a week, and can live in an affordable house that may be a little older, you will probably be fine in Fort Collins. It's all relative. People say Bend, OR is expensive too, and it is, but we manage to get by on one salary. You just have to take advantage of the free or low cost things that are offered. If Fort Collins is calling you and you can secure a decent job (the university regardless of pay is considered decent IMO) with good benefits, then I would go for it!

I image there are plenty of temp. agencies considering it's a college town. When I lived there from 1994-1999 there were several. Most employers would probably love to hire someone that isn't going to just be around during the school year (or have a school schedule to conflict with) as well.

Last edited by delta07; 07-29-2010 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 07-29-2010, 11:04 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,721 times
If your boyfriend is currently employed, I can understand why he is reluctant to move. It's a scary time to quit a job and move somewhere where you will be unemployed or even temping.

Health insurance costs are a big concern for anybody who is unemployed or whose employer doesn't offer insurance. Given the health care costs of somebody who is unemployed, it is much harder to survive as a pair on 37,000 than it would be to survive as an individual. When you're making 37,000 and you get some kind of health care insurance at work, that's very different from being unemployed, living with somebody who's making 37,000 per year, and having to buy your own health care insurance. Yikes !

Has he been applying for jobs in Fort Collins as you have been ?

Another thing you should have some concern about is that you may not be offered the job this time, since they may remember that you turned them down before. Whatever you do, don't move until you actually have the job offer.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:07 AM

529 posts, read 1,325,587 times
Quote:
Hi, Ziasforever:

Portland is more expensive too. That's what I hear from my colleagues out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area