Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 09:58 PM

21 posts, read 42,554 times

Advertisements

I am considering attending Occupational Therapy school in Fort Collins, and since my fiancee and I live in Tennessee right now, we are coming up for three or four days in October. We know for sure we will tour the campus one day, but we want a feel for the restaurants, neighborhoods, shopping, things to do, outdoorsy activities, thing a couple in their twenties (on a budget lol) would do for fun. Can anyone suggest places we should go, where to eat, where to stay, things to check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 01:31 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,939,384 times
Eating is always my priority on a trip, not entertainment. And yeah, I'm starting to get a little overweight.

My #1 recommended restaurant in Fort Collins: Tiger Lily Restaurant is good Chinese food, and not expensive. It's on Elizabeth near Shields in a strip mall that has a McDonalds. Tiger Lilly was by far my favorite restaurant in Fort Collins. Try Lucilles (cajun) or Sri Thai also, but those are probably a tad pricier. Oh, and Big City Burrito is a literal hole in the wall on College St, but they make a good and cheap burrito. You'll have to line up if it's lunch time, though. Tons of students around there during the school year. Look up all those restaurants on google. I'd say those are my 4 favorite restaurants in Fort Collins (not McDonalds). Silver Mine Subs in Tiger Lily's strip mall isn't too bad. I like a tuna salad sub. I guess you can tell what neighborhood I lived in.

Colorado State University football games aren't that expensive. Or at least they weren't when I was in Fort Collins. You can buy tickets in the King Soopers super market if there's a game when you're out there.

Cheapest activity would probably be to walk or jog the trail on Spring Creek or the Cache La Poudre River. There's got to be a way to rent a bike too.

Well, that's most of what I used to do when I was there (well, at least that I care to share with the world ). I'm a pretty dull guy. Eat a lot and hang out on recreational trails.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:19 AM

4 posts, read 17,613 times
Anyone in their 20s has got to consider living in Old Town (and at the very least, will spend a lot of their time there), so I'd spend a good chunk of my time there. Plan on walking down College from (at least) about Mountain down to Mulberry and checking out the side streets, etc. Instead of giving restaurant recommendations, I think it's better for a first timer to take it all in and decide on the fly where to eat, but you'll definitely have a ton of options if you do this walk. (Depending on the weather, you might want to go to a place with outdoor seating, etc.)

Once food is out of the way, I'd suggest taking a drive over to Horsetooth Reservoir. It's a gorgeous place to picnic, fish, boat, relax, etc; also there are a lot of hiking trails there and just north in Lory State Park.

Visit the Bike Library in Old Town and rent a bike - it's free and you can rent it for a couple of days. Bike around CSU then head over to one of the several breweries for a tour. New Belgium has a free tour and samples and Odell has cheap samples and you can sit outside. Plus, if you are social people (and please say that you are), you'll be able to meet/mingle with Fort Collins residents and find out more about the town. Enjoy!

Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,939,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCgal View Post
Plan on walking down College from (at least) about Mountain down to Mulberry and checking out the side streets, etc.
Big City Burrito is on the southeast corner of College and Mulberry. If you do this walk around lunch time, I'd definitely check it out for a quick lunch.

By your post it sounds like you're the opposite of me .... Activites First, Food Second. For me, activities are an afterthought to food !!!

Thanks for coming up with the info on how to rent a bike for free in Fort Collins.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:26 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
I agree with all the posts above. If you have a chance for an afternoon, although it is outside of Fort Collins proper, take a ride up Rt. 14 into the foothills and up the Poudre. In October, unfortunately, the leaves will probably already be coming down, but you might still hit some good weather and be able to see some great scenery. Take a picnic lunch up with you. That was one of my favorite things to do in the fall.

If you like new Mexican-style food, other than Big City Burrito, try Rio on Mountain St. HUGE margaritas and a good atmosphere. For brews, New Belgium Brewery is a must-stop, but if you would like some more local flair, try Coopersmith's in Old Town. They have a restaurant and then a pub/pool hall area. Great beers there.

If you are looking for places where you might live, there are many many options. When I went to school at CSU I lived in two apartment complexes, both off of Shields St. One was called Heritage Park off of S Shields and W Stuart, and the other was The Preserve near Shields and Drake. I am not sure if the names of the places changed since I lived there, but check them out. I was very happy with both, though The Preserve was much nicer IMO. And many of these places will offer specials, including free rent for a month if you sign a lease by a certain date. The best thing also is that both of the apartments are along Transfort bus lines with direct connections to CSU and are very convenient for biking to CSU if you would like to do that option. Plus, for CSU students Transfort bus passes are included with your fees, so you can ride the bus for free!!!

Personally, I would avoid renting a place within a block or two of the university because, although the neighborhoods are decent, they are overrun with frat houses and lots of undergraduates and tend to be quite noisy on the weekends. Plus, you will pay a premium for an apartment when you don't really need to with many other options out there.

Enjoy your visit! Fort Collins was one of the best places I have ever lived!

Old 06-24-2010, 09:37 AM

259 posts, read 601,800 times
If you like beer, be sure to visit as many microbreweries as you can! Fort Collins has wonderful local beers. In addition to New Belgium, be sure to visit Odells Brewery. It's less crowded for a tasting, and I prefer Odells' beers to New Belgium's and you won't have to fight the crowds for a table. You can hit them both, though, since they're located very close to each other.

I agree with the advice to drive up the Poudre Canyon to Cameron Pass, if you have time. Another great trip is up the Big Thompson Canyon to Estes Park and from there to Rocky Mountain National Park and Trail Ridge Road. Be sure to get up to the mountains if at all possible.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:01 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
I agree with all the suggestions given. I miss the potato burrito at Big City Burrito! Old Towne Fort Collins is definitely the place to spend most of your time, especially when it comes to food. There are so many options it can be overwhelming, but honestly, I can't think of a bad place to eat around there. Coopersmith's has great beer, and the Rio has great margaritas.

I would definitely make the point to get up to the mountains, even if it's just for a drive. The Poudre Canyon area is the closest to town, and has some amazing scenery and stops along the way. There should be plenty of hiking still accessible in October. Just be sure to bring warm clothes, as temperatures can fluctuate very rapidly!

My SIL went through the OT program at CSU and felt like she got an outstanding education. It was a tough program to get in to, so if you've been accepted I would highly consider the offer! Good luck and enjoy Fort Collins. I'm still thinking about moving back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area