Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 05:45 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,749,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geethal View Post
Thank you and listing agent is asking to make the check out to seller's name.
Red light, red light . Do not proceed. Please get your own buyers agent before you proceed any further. A buyers agent cost you nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 11:08 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,362,197 times
We had to give an earnest money check as well. We are in escrow on a home currently. Our check, a cashiers check, was made out to the title company handling the deal, if I remember correctly. The home we are buying is bank owned and has been empty for a few months. Our agent deals with the sellers agent, the seller in this case being Chase Bank.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:11 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,749,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
We had to give an earnest money check as well. We are in escrow on a home currently.Our check, a cashiers check, was made out to the title company handling the deal, if I remember correctly. The home we are buying is bank owned and has been empty for a few months. Our agent deals with the sellers agent, the seller in this case being Chase Bank.
Correct, this is the way it should be as opposed to this other nonsense the OP is talking about. Good luck with your new home!

Old 11-14-2010, 05:55 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,362,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
Correct, this is the way it should be as opposed to this other nonsense the OP is talking about. Good luck with your new home!
Thank you. Not sure how you as an agent deal with all this stuff. Maybe because you do it often and maybe because your assisting those of us that don't do this every day. One thing I am sure of is that I don't want to do it again. Buying a home is one of those things that is both fun and frustrating. I am acquiring quite a few F words that I can use to describe the experience. LOL I would share others but this is not the forum for that. LOL

Old 11-16-2010, 05:29 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,867,178 times
I would choose your title company and make the deposit there. remember Buyer controls title.... even if the seller pays for it.

Often an escrow isn't required until the bank agrees tot he offer in a short sale but that depends on the agents and banks involved. But at $500 that isn't a back breaker.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:03 PM

63 posts, read 196,329 times
I agree STOP and if you do not have your own agent get one or at least a real estate attorney. I know of no instance why there would EVER be a check written to the home owner.

I always write in the additional area earnest money to be submitted upon approval from bank.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:13 AM

49 posts, read 190,627 times
geethal,

Do you have an agent representing you? If you do, then have you asked your agent these questions? If you don't, I would suggest you get one.

As stated already, it is not common to write earnest money, or any other, checks to the Seller prior to closing. Even at closing, most everything goes through a closing and/or title agency. Your purchase agreement should specifically state all earnest money, or other, funds, who they should go to, and how they should be distributed in the even the PA is not agreed to or canceled.

Again, if you don't already have an agent, then you should get one. Alternatively, you need to do a lot more research on the home buying process before making any more offers.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:41 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,690,603 times
What State is this in?

Old 11-27-2010, 03:32 PM

62 posts, read 251,903 times
Default Ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankhharu View Post
what state is this in?
ny

Old 12-19-2010, 01:18 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,959,307 times
I don't know about NY, but when we buy foreclosures, shorts, or any sale. We provide a PHOTOCOPY of a company check, along with a bank statement showing ample funds.

The listing agent provides this to the bank. Then once the offer is accepted we have 24-72 hours to provide the actual deposit funds by Cert check - to the escrow company.

I bid on a lot of properties. If I had to have god knows who holding hundreds of thousands in earnest money funds, for posibly months on end in the case of shorts, I'd be broke, not to mention lose 0.9% interest.

PS - I personally don't like buyer agents. One more middleman to muck out the deal and dilute the commission. I prefer to deal with the listing agent, or the seller directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs