Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:15 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,496,522 times

Advertisements

We found a nice house, nice area, good yard and priced well, but it was bank owned, not that this fact had any bearing on our decision. Our realtor called the LA with the news that we were going to make an offer, only to be told that the LA was not taking any more offers, he had 3 one the table and was only going to present those to the bank. Nothing on the MLS verbage said there was a time limit or numerical limit to offers.

My question is why wouldn't the LA take other offers? It doesn't make sense to me, we were going to offer over the list price anyways. I detected a hint of collusion between the LA and one of the bidders based on some comments made by the LA that were relayed to me, but I have no proof of that. If this is business as usual then I really don't get it....

- Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 10:19 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,823,437 times
It happens, even with regular sales. If the LA thinks what he's got are already good enough (already at asking price or above), then why bother with more. Just move on.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:22 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,469,020 times
Depends on the bank's instructions. This could be legit.

However, in my state, if you write an offer and give it to the listing agent, they have to present it to the seller unless they have written instructions not to.

So, if you really are interested, and going to make an offer that isn't wasting everyone's time, I would write it, send it, and ask for either proof that it was presented, or a copy of the seller's instructions that they didn't want to see it.

With 3 other offers on the table, if your offer isn't going to buy it, then you need to move on.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:22 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,161 times
There is definitely shady business going on these days, not to say it's happening in your situation though. I scratch your back and you scratch mine. Is it legal? Who knows? Definitely gray area. Last year we saw a REO we really liked and wanted to make an offer. My agent contacted the listing agent and was told that he is not taking offers but instead they are doing an auction. Next thing you know the REO house was delisted. The listing agent did not return any calls. Three months later it showed up as SOLD and for few grands under the listing price. Shady indeed.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:35 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
I would still write it up and have your agent send it over. In Oregon, it is law that the agent has to present all written offers to the seller unless the seller has given them written instructions to the contrary.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:51 AM

43,274 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I would still write it up and have your agent send it over. In Oregon, it is law that the agent has to present all written offers to the seller unless the seller has given them written instructions to the contrary.
Right.
Good rule of thumb: In case of doubt, write the offer.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:02 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,950,730 times
I came across that and I was told they weren't taking any more offers I made such a fuss that they went a head and took my clients offer and we got our offer accepted. Don't listen to them send it in who knows it may work and even if it doesn't you haven't lost anything.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:31 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
We found a nice house, nice area, good yard and priced well, but it was bank owned, not that this fact had any bearing on our decision. Our realtor called the LA with the news that we were going to make an offer, only to be told that the LA was not taking any more offers, he had 3 one the table and was only going to present those to the bank. Nothing on the MLS verbage said there was a time limit or numerical limit to offers.

My question is why wouldn't the LA take other offers? It doesn't make sense to me, we were going to offer over the list price anyways. I detected a hint of collusion between the LA and one of the bidders based on some comments made by the LA that were relayed to me, but I have no proof of that. If this is business as usual then I really don't get it....

- Tim
Sometimes certain banks have things 3 offers must be presented befor ethey accept one. maybe they have their 3, the amounts are satisfactory and they don't want to complicate things more they are just trying to decide which offer is better based on terms.

Don't get too upset about it, when dealing with foreclosures and short sales these things happen

Old 03-25-2011, 07:11 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,296,977 times
"The FBI is focusing its attention on real estate brokers to see whether ornot the broker submitted all offers to the lender in a short saletransaction."

http://www.lirealtor.com/viewStory.aspx?sid=e2ae03db-c689-43cd-b0b4-86734a5eca9f

Old 03-25-2011, 08:06 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,577,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
"The FBI is focusing its attention on real estate brokers to see whether ornot the broker submitted all offers to the lender in a short saletransaction."

http://www.lirealtor.com/viewStory.aspx?sid=e2ae03db-c689-43cd-b0b4-86734a5eca9f
Interesting. Our short sale addendum allows a seller to submit all offers to their lender, but it's not required. In fact, many agents make a point of advertising that only one offer will be signed by the seller to be submitted and the rest held as backups to be submitted only if the first is not accepted. It's the listing agent's duty to insure that the seller sees all offers. The lender has never been included in that requirement as the lender is not a party to the contract, only a contingency for approval after the seller selects the offer to sign
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs