Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,839 times

Advertisements

i had a'93, 3.2 with the automatic. it was stolen and i still haven't gotten over it!! that, by far, was the best car i've ever owned!! between 2500-3000 rpms, the car was a pure animal (and i mean that in a good way).the car was awesome! it ran its ass off! the only problem ford didn't cover was the handling. it didn't handle like the car was intended (hi-po sedan).lousy in the corners but a real gem on the open road.would i buy another? in a heart beat!!! in my opinion, it has no equal in terms of fun for the bucks. and it makes an ideal daily driver(19-21 in the city and about 23-24 on the hwy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 05:37 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,585,512 times
I've owned 3 SHO's in my life with my favorite being the first generation. It was a 1991. I loved that car. It was the ultimate sleeper. The first generation SHO came only with a 5-speed manual. I also owned a 1993 (2nd generation) and a 1997 (3rd generation). Both of those were plagued with problems. The 3rd generation was equipped with a v8 but was notorious for camshaft issues. You actually had to get them welded at a shop to prevent failure resulting in ruining your engine.

If I can find me a mint condition 1st generation I would jump on it in a heartbeat. Downside is parts are very hard to come by. I once needed an AC hose that was a dealer only item and Ford told me it was obsolete.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:43 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,586,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thanks for the replies!

I ended up selling my Caprice for cash and passing on this trade.

I bought a 1995 Lincoln Town Car... love it!
Congrats, I love the Town Car! I'm looking at getting one next year.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:00 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,699,143 times
I'll put it like this. The Yamahammer V6 SHO (1989 to 1995) was and still is the best iterations of the Taurus SHO. Made Mustang owners of that very nervous when pulling up next to one and they looked good as well. I say it's the best sedan Ford has ever made for the American market (I'm excluding the Aussie Falcon here) since 1980. I hate the current one. It's just a pig simple as that. The first two generations are best with the manual. The automatics can get crushed for all I care.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,839 times
Thumbs up my '93,3.2,auto

i owned a '93 auto. i fell in love with it from the first time i laid eyes on her. and talk about a sedan that can flat out get it!!!!!! it was my daily driver. i was getting between 15 to 17 mpg in the city. i was getting around 23 on the road.the only issue that ford didn't address about the car was it's handling. it was very disappointing in the corners. for a hi-po, sports sedan, it left a lot to be desired.but on the open road, i dont think that it had an equal at the time. between 2500 and 3000, the car was amazingly quick.overall, the car ran like a bat out of hell. i really loved the flexability of the car. a practical sedan with power(and lots of it)on tap. and let us not forget about the design of the car. the car was quite beautiful.now would i buy another one? in a heart beat!!! but as luck would have it, mine was stolen(something ive yet to get over).would i recommend it? positively!!!! but thats just my experience!!!

Old 03-03-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I'll put it like this. The Yamahammer V6 SHO (1989 to 1995) was and still is the best iterations of the Taurus SHO. Made Mustang owners of that very nervous when pulling up next to one and they looked good as well. I say it's the best sedan Ford has ever made for the American market (I'm excluding the Aussie Falcon here) since 1980. I hate the current one. It's just a pig simple as that. The first two generations are best with the manual. The automatics can get crushed for all I care.

It's a pig that can stomp any previous SHO in every aspect.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
It's a pig that can stomp any previous SHO in every aspect.
Really? Cant the same be said for pretty much any performance vehicle compared to its equivalent of 20+ years before it? Never mind the fact that you're comparing a n/a 6 to that of a forced induction 6. The 1989 SHO was revolutionary. The latest SHO isnt.

At the end of the day its still a pig and when you compare the competition of the 1989 SHO to the competition of the 2010+ SHO, the new SHO doesnt look nowhere near as impressive.

Last edited by louie0406; 03-03-2013 at 09:21 PM..

Old 03-03-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Really? Cant the same be said for pretty much any performance vehicle compared to its equivalent of 20+ years its before it? Never mind the fact that you're comparing a n/a 6 to that of a forced induction 6. The 1989 SHO was revolutionary. The latest SHO isnt.

At the end of the day its still a pig and when you compare the competition of the 1989 SHO to the competition of the 2010+ SHO, the new SHO doesnt look nowhere near as impressive.
The original SHO was not revolutionary. They threw a high performance engine into a mundane family car. I think that may have happened before...

Its only competition is the 300C and to a lesser extent, the Charger R/T. It's very impressive when you realize that it's on a FWD based platform. Back in 1989 the SHO had very little competition either, in fact it only existed because they had to do something with those engines since the Fiero competitor was cancelled.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
The original SHO was not revolutionary. They threw a high performance engine into a mundane family car. I think that may have happened before...

Its only competition is the 300C and to a lesser extent, the Charger R/T. It's very impressive when you realize that it's on a FWD based platform. Back in 1989 the SHO had very little competition either, in fact it only existed because they had to do something with those engines since the Fiero competitor was cancelled.
Well given the Fact that at the time of its debut the 89 SHO was the fastest sedan in American automotive history, I would have to say that it was in fact revolutionary.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Well given the Fact that at the time of its debut the 89 SHO was the fastest sedan in American automotive history, I would have to say that it was in fact revolutionary.
There were BMWs that were faster, so no. Now don't get me wrong I'm a huge Taurus fan (I own one), but the current SHO is in no way as bad as some of you are making it out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln