Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 06:50 PM

83 posts, read 511,452 times

Advertisements

The end of April our ford lost the belt to the water pump. We took it into the dealer to be replaced and told them to go ahead and replace the main belt too. After one call back from them saying they couldn't find a problem with the car, my dh had to explain it was missing the one belt and go ahead and replace the main one while they are in there. It was done near closing on a Friday night when we picked it up. Saturday it was overheating so we parked it till Monday - when dh got home to check it.

Low and behold the dealer sent us home without the belt to the water pump. We immediatly took it right back and they did put the missing belt on.

Now we were having problems with the check engine light, took it in for diagnose and the code was for the fuel injector. They also said a vacuum hose had heat damage and needed to be replaced. We said fix it for around 430. They have just called and said it is still not running right and is giving out some code and they need to tear into it more to see if a valve is sticking or something.

My question is if this could be related to the missing belt they sent us home without? In other words heat damage or something.

We had written a letter to the owner who was apoligetic and made promises about red carpet service next time we came in. If we could have we wouldn't have returned there but this is a new area for us and we don't have a regular car repair shop.

BTW - it's a 2001 ford taurus with about 110,000 miles.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 08:16 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
No belt for the water pump. Not good. The water pump circulates the coolant thru your engine. Without that, I am surprised you didn't overheat the engine and warp the block. But then again, that may be your problem.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:33 PM

946 posts, read 2,603,328 times
Absolutely it is the dealer's responsibility--the water pump is on the back side of the head, and the mechanic missed it. Sounds possible that the resulting overheating cooked some things. The dealer has already successfully strung you along; attorney time. That's the only way you will achieve a measure of satisfaction and accountability. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:16 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
My question is >"after it overheated and you parked it,Did you crank it up and drive it to the dealer? If so you ruined your case . YOU never drive a car if you know it is over heating....Your decision and its debatable if this is what hurt the engine...I think when it overheated the first time damage was done because IT ONLY TAKEs A FEW SECONDS FOR AN ALUMINUM engine TO MESS UP ONCE IT REACHES THE DANGER ZONE....The dealer might replace your engine with another used one. You wont get a brand new engine out of this..This makes the dealer look real bad and he best treat you right. Tell him you will publicize this to other customers if he doest fix your car for free.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:33 PM

So how can I prove that their negligence is the cause of the problems now? I mean the missing belt was April 23rd. Would it take that long or should we have immediately had problems? This really sucks.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Without seeing your car, I would say that a ten year old Taurus with 110K is pretty close to the end of its life anyway, and your first priority should be to find a replacement car. Your '01 is probably not worth putting a lot of money into for repairs. Get yourself a reliable car, and then take your time dealing with the legal issues in getting restitution from the repair shop.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:14 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123catlady View Post
So how can I prove that their negligence is the cause of the problems now? I mean the missing belt was April 23rd. Would it take that long or should we have immediately had problems? This really sucks.
If it overheated and caused a problem you would have seen it right away. You engine has issues not related to the belt. Forget this repair shop. Get the codes (free from autozone) and then post them here for help or take it to another mechanic.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Without seeing your car, I would say that a ten year old Taurus with 110K is pretty close to the end of its life anyway, and your first priority should be to find a replacement car. Your '01 is probably not worth putting a lot of money into for repairs. Get yourself a reliable car, and then take your time dealing with the legal issues in getting restitution from the repair shop.

Well, we can't afford to get something different, been trying to get out of debt and this is our paid for vehicle. Which other than this problem is in great condition.

Quote:
If it overheated and caused a problem you would have seen it right away. You engine has issues not related to the belt. Forget this repair shop. Get the codes (free from autozone) and then post them here for help or take it to another mechanic.
So you don't think the problems now could in any way be related to the missing belt 2mo ago?

I hate cars. ... well, when they don't work at least.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:46 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I would disagree somewhat with Jtur88 about the life expectancy of your Taurus. I have a 95 sitting out front right now with 250K on it, original motor, and a replacement (used) transmission (I trashed the original during a hurricane in 2003) with 180K on it. Our 02 Taurus has 156K, original motor and trans, on it and is still pretty much a daily driver. Both cars were bought new and had the regular services.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I would disagree somewhat with Jtur88 about the life expectancy of your Taurus.
I hope you are right. We had hoped to keep this paid for car a long time.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln