Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:13 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,241,073 times

Advertisements

I need a older, larger and comfortable car. I have rode in my uncles 1997 Town Car and it seems to fit the bill. I need a larger car because of my bum knee, something to stretch out in. I had also considered a 1991-94 Chevy Caprice, but those seem harder to find.

I have a 1991 Lexus LS that I am giving to my mom and I have a 1988 Mercedes S-Class, which is a very good car, I may keep, but want something different.

I found a 1992 Town Car, older lady owned, originally owned by her late husband. It has 120K, excellent condition. She said it did use a quart of oil between the 3000 oil changes, which is acceptable for this engine. Valve seals I know are common problems on the 4.6L Ford V8. Oh, it does have the optional air suspension and its new. She said it was replaced with all new air-bags and module two years ago, so thats a big plus! She said she would like to get $1500 for it, which seems very reasonable... I like to use NADA, as my credit union loans up to high retail on cars. NADA high retail on this car is $2900, so thats good. I will be paying cash though if I buy it. I was thinking of offering $1300 for it. I am not going to rush into anything, as there are plenty of these cars around.

There was another man called with a 1991 Town Car, pretty rare, as its the base model, with cloth interior, analog instrumentation, etc. Its also black in color, with cranberry color interior, which is also unusual. However, the rear suspension is shot the owner said. It sags big time, so I will likely pass on that one.

I know a couple of our members here have 90s Town Cars. I like the 1989-older models, but wanting something a little newer. The 1998-up Town Cars dont appeal to me.

Have also considered a 1990-93 Sedan DeVille.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 07:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,335,974 times
why not buy a nice used mid 90's chevy yukon/tahoe being a bit taller it should be a bit easier getting in and out of and it will have all the room you could need and still have the power and is easy to fix and maintain. I mean if you could find one with a 5.7 or a 7.4 it would be a great freeway cruiser and awsome in winter driving

Old 11-10-2009, 08:21 PM

Hmmm. Well I did have a 1995 Suburban SLT 4wd and really liked it. Downside it had 302K miles and was getting tired. 6 trips to California from Virginia by the PO helped add those up... imagine the gallons of gas used!

I am sure its good in the winter, but we dont get much snow here (lucky to see 10 inches of snow per winter), so that would not be much of a reason for me to buy another one. Perhaps a 2wd would suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
why not buy a nice used mid 90's chevy yukon/tahoe being a bit taller it should be a bit easier getting in and out of and it will have all the room you could need and still have the power and is easy to fix and maintain. I mean if you could find one with a 5.7 or a 7.4 it would be a great freeway cruiser and awsome in winter driving

Old 11-10-2009, 09:08 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,258,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I need a older, larger and comfortable car. I have rode in my uncles 1997 Town Car and it seems to fit the bill. I need a larger car because of my bum knee, something to stretch out in. I had also considered a 1991-94 Chevy Caprice, but those seem harder to find.

I have a 1991 Lexus LS that I am giving to my mom and I have a 1988 Mercedes S-Class, which is a very good car, I may keep, but want something different.

I found a 1992 Town Car, older lady owned, originally owned by her late husband. It has 120K, excellent condition. She said it did use a quart of oil between the 3000 oil changes, which is acceptable for this engine. Valve seals I know are common problems on the 4.6L Ford V8. Oh, it does have the optional air suspension and its new. She said it was replaced with all new air-bags and module two years ago, so thats a big plus! She said she would like to get $1500 for it, which seems very reasonable... I like to use NADA, as my credit union loans up to high retail on cars. NADA high retail on this car is $2900, so thats good. I will be paying cash though if I buy it. I was thinking of offering $1300 for it. I am not going to rush into anything, as there are plenty of these cars around.

There was another man called with a 1991 Town Car, pretty rare, as its the base model, with cloth interior, analog instrumentation, etc. Its also black in color, with cranberry color interior, which is also unusual. However, the rear suspension is shot the owner said. It sags big time, so I will likely pass on that one.

I know a couple of our members here have 90s Town Cars. I like the 1989-older models, but wanting something a little newer. The 1998-up Town Cars dont appeal to me.

Have also considered a 1990-93 Sedan DeVille.
Not my type of car, but, for the price, I say go for it. It sounds like a good deal, even if you have to pay full price ($1,500).

Old 11-10-2009, 09:25 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,721,933 times
I would keep hunting for a B-body, but I suppose the Town Car will do.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Not my type of car, but, for the price, I say go for it. It sounds like a good deal, even if you have to pay full price ($1,500).
Thanks. Yeah, I like the tanks of the early 90s. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I would keep hunting for a B-body, but I suppose the Town Car will do.

Thanks. Well, if the right Caprice came along, but it would have to be the nicer Caprice Classic. Maybe I should post a poll! I will do that on a new thread. Should have done that here.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:42 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,144,369 times
That car is a very nice rider. You may find alot of little things like electric windows can require repairs but if the car is in good condition you could drive it for 4 or 5 years with no big problems..I had an 87 mercury grand maqiue that was loaded and it was the best ride I have ever owned. Had the 5.0 fuel injected engine too.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:31 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,806,597 times
Can't go wrong with the Town Car. Folks traded their 92 in with nearly 200K without any major issues. I would say for for it. The Towncar will get 26 to 28 MPG compared to a SUV where you might get 18 MPG if you behave.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
You may find alot of little things like electric windows can require repairs
Thanks. Yeah, on some of the ads I see these for sale on, several have power window problems listed. Also air-suspension, but the local one I am considering is said to have had this recently completely replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
Can't go wrong with the Town Car. Folks traded their 92 in with nearly 200K without any major issues. I would say for for it. The Towncar will get 26 to 28 MPG compared to a SUV where you might get 18 MPG if you behave.
Thanks. I am unsure of the mileage on the 1992 I am considering.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:19 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,332,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thanks. I am unsure of the mileage on the 1992 I am considering.
Actual fuel mileage with my '95 TC (same engine as the '92) has been 17.8 to 24.3 mpg. The low figure was with 100% street driving and the high figure was was about 75% highway driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln