Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 09:31 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times

Advertisements

I like that Ford is doing this, don't get me wrong, but when "built Ford tough" is brought out that gives me pause.
On the plus side, at least they are making electric vehicles mainstream.
Personally, I like the weird stuff like Rivians and Cybertrucks.
Cybertrucks are hilarious because it's a loud statement on what pickup trucks really are for most people who buy them.
A caricature, if you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 09:51 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I honestly don't like how the Rivian looks. Quite frankly, I don't like how most pickups look; I do love the F-150 look and feel when driving, though. Before the weirdness of the cybertruck was announced, I told myself the only pickup I'd ever buy an F-150.

That makes sense. I thought its headlamps made it look too cartoon-y at first, but then it grew on me.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:44 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Cybertruck is an explicit look for fans of 80s sci-fi.

Lightning looks like Ford bought some product placement in Tron and threw some lights on it.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:29 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,412,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Cybertruck is an explicit look for fans of 80s sci-fi.

Lightning looks like Ford bought some product placement in Tron and threw some lights on it.
Let the sales war begin and let’s see witch EV pickups sell better Fords or Tesla my money is on the EV F150. We all know Ford can make them twice as fast as Tesla they have been making vehicles for 117 years.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:45 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,318,906 times
I was curious about the $39,974 starting price for Lightning Pro before the $7,500 tax credit. So I went on Ford's website to build the ICE equivalent... a F-150 XL crew cab with 5.5 ft bed and 4WD. Right off the bat, the MSRP is $42,500 with the standard 3.3 V6. But wait, Lightning has color matching bumpers, alloy wheels, copilot 360, larger screen and a bunch more standard equipment. So you have to add STX package, 101A equipment package, and copilot 360 to the list. So now I'm up to $45k. So comparatively equipped, Lightning Pro is about $5k cheaper than a regular XL, and the XL has a slow poke 3.3 V6 that won't rip 0-60 in 4 seconds, and no ProPower onboard generator, amongst other deficiencies.

So Ford not achieved EV and ICE price parity... they've blown right past it (at least based on MSRP) and made the EV a huge bargain relative to ICE:
  • Lower starting MSRP
  • More standard equipment
  • More power
  • More features (like ProPower which is not available on 3.3 V6, and secured frunk storage)
  • Lower running cost
  • $7,500 tax credit
The Lightning Pro after tax credit is roughly $12,500 cheaper on MSRP basis compare to 3.3 V6 XL 4WD. If you opt for any of the more powerful engine combo to get close to engine output parity, the difference becomes a huge gulf. Yes, I know some will chime in about discounts on ICE F-150... sure, no one should be paying MSRP on a XL but that's not the point... Even if you throw 20% off MSRP on that $45k STX I build, you still paying more after tax credit, and you end up with a XL with 3.3 V6, not a Lightning Pro that can do a lot more things, including drag racing a Ferrari.

Factor in running cost, if I'm a fleet buyer, there is no chance I would even consider a gas power F-150 XL when Lightning Pro is this cheap. So if I can do the math, so can everyone with a fleet account at Ford. How is Ford going to meet the demand on this truck? How soon is that SK battery plant coming online?

Old 05-25-2021, 03:49 PM

30,618 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
I was curious about the $39,974 starting price for Lightning Pro before the $7,500 tax credit. So I went on Ford's website to build the ICE equivalent... a F-150 XL crew cab with 5.5 ft bed and 4WD. Right off the bat, the MSRP is $42,500 with the standard 3.3 V6. But wait, Lightning has color matching bumpers, alloy wheels, copilot 360, larger screen and a bunch more standard equipment. So you have to add STX package, 101A equipment package, and copilot 360 to the list. So now I'm up to $45k. So comparatively equipped, Lightning Pro is about $5k cheaper than a regular XL, and the XL has a slow poke 3.3 V6 that won't rip 0-60 in 4 seconds, and no ProPower onboard generator, amongst other deficiencies.

So Ford not achieved EV and ICE price parity... they've blown right past it (at least based on MSRP) and made the EV a huge bargain relative to ICE:
  • Lower starting MSRP
  • More standard equipment
  • More power
  • More features (like ProPower which is not available on 3.3 V6, and secured frunk storage)
  • Lower running cost
  • $7,500 tax credit
The Lightning Pro after tax credit is roughly $12,500 cheaper on MSRP basis compare to 3.3 V6 XL 4WD. If you opt for any of the more powerful engine combo to get close to engine output parity, the difference becomes a huge gulf. Yes, I know some will chime in about discounts on ICE F-150... sure, no one should be paying MSRP on a XL but that's not the point... Even if you throw 20% off MSRP on that $45k STX I build, you still paying more after tax credit, and you end up with a XL with 3.3 V6, not a Lightning Pro that can do a lot more things, including drag racing a Ferrari.

Factor in running cost, if I'm a fleet buyer, there is no chance I would even consider a gas power F-150 XL when Lightning Pro is this cheap. So if I can do the math, so can everyone with a fleet account at Ford. How is Ford going to meet the demand on this truck? How soon is that SK battery plant coming online?
Cost is one thing. Charging network and feasibility of driving long distances are another.

Also, who is going to be qualifying for a $7,500 tax credit for this thing? Ford was already over 120k out of 200k EVs sold in June of 2020 for the full $7,500 rebate.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Cost is one thing. Charging network and feasibility of driving long distances are another.

Also, who is going to be qualifying for a $7,500 tax credit for this thing? Ford was already over 120k out of 200k EVs sold in June of 2020 for the full $7,500 rebate.

I believe most fleet trucks don't actually travel anywhere near the purported max range of these trucks, but they do get heavily used daily and return to a depot at the end of the day to charge. Electric trucks fit that profile pretty well. It's the suburban cowboys who insist they must make a 800 mile a day drive on their vacation trips that this won't work so well for.

I also don't see Ford keeping the full rebate as they are now by the time these trucks first roll out. However, it's possible that some other incentives program rolls along.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Let the sales war begin and let’s see witch EV pickups sell better Fords or Tesla my money is on the EV F150. We all know Ford can make them twice as fast as Tesla they have been making vehicles for 117 years.

It'll definitely be a pretty interesting competition given the glaring differences, but also the similarity of the specs for the prices.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I believe most fleet trucks don't actually travel anywhere near the purported max range of these trucks, but they do get heavily used daily and return to a depot at the end of the day to charge. Electric trucks fit that profile pretty well. It's the suburban cowboys who insist they must make a 800 mile a day drive on their vacation trips that this won't work so well for.

I also don't see Ford keeping the full rebate as they are now by the time these trucks first roll out. However, it's possible that some other incentives program rolls along.
I recall reading a Ford advertisement stating that 95% of its truck drivers reported traveling less than 174 miles a day. That's cutting things pretty close to the 230 mile Lightning option, though, if you ask me. And this is before we get into the issue with adequate charging infrastructure (that's my main concern, honestly). I know there are third party fast chargers on the market, but I hear very mixed things about them. Ford says that you can charge 54 miles in 10 minutes with one of its trucks (compared to 100 miles in 7 minutes and almost 200 miles in 15 minutes with a Tesla supercharger). That is not good and is a major concern I have. While I'm looking closely at the Lightning as a potential replacement for my cybertruck order, a lot will have to do with the charging infrastructure, especially since I won't have home-based charging in Hawaii and would rely on fast chargers.

Moving on, I am interested to see how the other incentives come into being (if at all) via the proposed legislation. As things stand now, lifting the cap would benefit all EV makers, which I'd support.

Old 05-26-2021, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That makes sense. I thought its headlamps made it look too cartoon-y at first, but then it grew on me.
Granted, I'm fully aware that I'm attacking the looks of a vehicle when I have a cybertruck on order But this just goes to show that beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln