Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 10:57 PM

393 posts, read 275,299 times

Advertisements

I'm really interested in this, and I've never been interested in an electric vehicle before. I've owned an F-150 and an F-250 before, and they were the most comfortable vehicles I've ever owned (I have a bad back). I've been thinking about a diesel F-150, but the electric version is intriguing. I don't tow or carry lots of cargo very often, so I'm not too worried about range. I'm retired, so I don't have a daily commute.

I tried giving my $100 to Ford for a reservation, but the website seems to be not functioning (swamped?)...it won't take any form of payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 10:53 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb1067 View Post
I'm really interested in this, and I've never been interested in an electric vehicle before. I've owned an F-150 and an F-250 before, and they were the most comfortable vehicles I've ever owned (I have a bad back). I've been thinking about a diesel F-150, but the electric version is intriguing. I don't tow or carry lots of cargo very often, so I'm not too worried about range. I'm retired, so I don't have a daily commute.

I tried giving my $100 to Ford for a reservation, but the website seems to be not functioning (swamped?)...it won't take any form of payment.
And I’m on the flip side of that. At a point where I am interested in an EV…but no interest in a big truck. But the EV specs for the price on this are very compelling. More so than the Mustang Mach E we were considering.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
And I’m on the flip side of that. At a point where I am interested in an EV…but no interest in a big truck. But the EV specs for the price on this are very compelling. More so than the Mustang Mach E we were considering.
Right, I can understand that. I don't "need" a truck, but I'm most interested in ride comfort at this point, and my trucks were very comfortable.

I've also been exploring adding a backup generator to our home, to deal with rolling blackouts. If I could use the truck battery for a power source instead, that would be ideal. Not sure how practical that really is, but the glossy sales brochure makes it look pretty neat. Also, my wife is on board now because we could use it to transport our new e-bikes (I wonder if I could use the truck battery to charge the e-bikes?).

Well, I persisted in trying to give Ford my $100 deposit, and finally succeeded! I'm on the wait list.

Old 05-21-2021, 02:45 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
It's pretty damn compelling. I really do not want it but maybe it's the American and Bigger is Better (TM). Objectively I have to jam my compact car into undersized parking spots in urban parking garages. Parking an F-150 would be an absolute nightmare for me. But with an F-150 EV and Mach-E costing effectively the same price... well, damn.

Mach-E is just for early adopters and because of the tax credit. It's flat out not price competitive. The Ford Edge starts at $34k, which is a lot less than the $42K the Mach-E starts at. With the $7,500 tax credit plus the additional CA tax credits, it does become price competitive certainly. But without them I'd just by an Edge. $8,000 (plus the cost of electricity) buys a lot of gas and then I don't have to deal with any of the EV downsides.

The F-150 though, different ballpark. A base model 3.5 4WD SuperCrew work truck is $42k. The base model F-150 worktruck is $42k. There's still some EV downsides but also some pretty compelling upsides. For the suburban cowboy who never is going to tow anything anyway and just use their family wagon truck for commuting to work, Costco Runs, hauling the kids to Little League and soccer games it's pretty useful. Best thing I put in the Prius was the cheap inverter for V2L. Awesome for tailgating or car camping with an electric kettle and induction hotplate. Not as clever as the $5,000 Rivian camp kitchen maybe but equally effective.

Also just the type of buyer I am. I very rarely find the whizbang and baubles worth buying. I'm just an ace of base buyer. I'd probably add a few things to the worktruck trim like power windows, doors, and cruise control which is around $1,000 on the regular F-150 worktruck. Aside from that though it would be limited to mechanical things, gear ratio, rear locker, tow package. Don't need the leather and 15 speakers. Auto/CarPlay is worth paying a bit for but I think that's standard on all F-150s now. Don't need the 15" screen or wireless though. Nice, not worth whatever they want for it.

Old 05-21-2021, 03:19 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Reading through the reservation agreement I don't see the point. Does not guarantee the delivery(or even priority), price, options, or anything. Just paying them $100 and handing over your info just so they can put out press releases about how much demand there is?

Last edited by notnamed; 05-21-2021 at 03:29 PM..

Old 05-21-2021, 04:02 PM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Reading through the reservation agreement I don't see the point. Does not guarantee the delivery(or even priority), price, options, or anything. Just paying them $100 and handing over your info just so they can put out press releases about how much demand there is?
I can see that angle. On the other hand, when Tesla asks for $1K reservations, people call them as a "pyramid scheme" because they're taking significant money up front. So people can always criticize.

Old 05-21-2021, 04:05 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's pretty damn compelling. I really do not want it but maybe it's the American and Bigger is Better (TM). Objectively I have to jam my compact car into undersized parking spots in urban parking garages. Parking an F-150 would be an absolute nightmare for me. But with an F-150 EV and Mach-E costing effectively the same price... well, damn.

Mach-E is just for early adopters and because of the tax credit. It's flat out not price competitive. The Ford Edge starts at $34k, which is a lot less than the $42K the Mach-E starts at. With the $7,500 tax credit plus the additional CA tax credits, it does become price competitive certainly. But without them I'd just by an Edge. $8,000 (plus the cost of electricity) buys a lot of gas and then I don't have to deal with any of the EV downsides.

The F-150 though, different ballpark. A base model 3.5 4WD SuperCrew work truck is $42k. The base model F-150 worktruck is $42k. There's still some EV downsides but also some pretty compelling upsides. For the suburban cowboy who never is going to tow anything anyway and just use their family wagon truck for commuting to work, Costco Runs, hauling the kids to Little League and soccer games it's pretty useful. Best thing I put in the Prius was the cheap inverter for V2L. Awesome for tailgating or car camping with an electric kettle and induction hotplate. Not as clever as the $5,000 Rivian camp kitchen maybe but equally effective.

Also just the type of buyer I am. I very rarely find the whizbang and baubles worth buying. I'm just an ace of base buyer. I'd probably add a few things to the worktruck trim like power windows, doors, and cruise control which is around $1,000 on the regular F-150 worktruck. Aside from that though it would be limited to mechanical things, gear ratio, rear locker, tow package. Don't need the leather and 15 speakers. Auto/CarPlay is worth paying a bit for but I think that's standard on all F-150s now. Don't need the 15" screen or wireless though. Nice, not worth whatever they want for it.

There's a decent chance that some at Ford made those same types of calculations and figured on the tax credits being enough for people to buy the more expensive Mach E over the Edge and so priced accordingly since it gives them a higher profit margin per vehicle. I'm guessing that prices go down and/or features go up accordingly as the incentives wind down which is what we've seen with the Bolt since its federal tax credits expired as well as with EVs in the UK as the incentives scaled back and started having certain price limits. This is partly why I think doubling down on more incentives now doesn't make much sense unless its main purpose is to prop up US automakers.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-21-2021 at 04:39 PM..

Old 05-21-2021, 04:34 PM

602 posts, read 313,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb1067 View Post
Well, I persisted in trying to give Ford my $100 deposit, and finally succeeded! I'm on the wait list.
Congratulations ! I read your post from yesterday when you weren't able to get on the waiting list

https://www.city-data.com/forum/61087457-post21.html

So am glad to read you were successful today !

Old 05-21-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't have bothered to sign up if there had to be a firm commitment on my part, or if it had been more money or not refundable. I'm just hoping this shows there is definite interest in the product.

Old 05-21-2021, 05:38 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There's a decent chance that some at Ford made those same types of calculations and figured on the tax credits being enough for people to buy the more expensive Mach E over the Edge and so priced accordingly since it gives them a higher profit margin per vehicle. I'm guessing that prices go down and/or features go up accordingly as the incentives wind down which is what we've seen with the Bolt since its federal tax credits expired as well as with EVs in the UK as the incentives scaled back and started having certain price limits. This is partly why I think doubling down on more incentives now doesn't make much sense unless its main purpose is to prop up US automakers.
Could be. Assuming Ford can actually make F-150 EVs fast enough, they'll probably run out of tax credits in the first year so it might make sense to just set the pricing accordingly out of the gate. Interestingly Tesla didn't do any price drop. But then I suppose just supply and demand. It's not like Tesla has a problem selling cars priced as they are versus the competition which struggles to sell EVs. Partly I can see why. Most EVs are pretty much crap for the price. Even with the price cut the Bolt is still a sad joke which is why even with the chip shortage the factory is throwing $9,000 off at them. If you can get the dealer to throw in another couple grand knocking the price down closer to $25,000 that's definitely reasonable. At 36-40k though, yeah, just no. By no means is the Bolt a bad car. It's just not a $40k car though. The F-150 EV I don't imagine they'll need to throw $10,000+ in discounts to sell like hotcakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln