Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 07:25 PM

264 posts, read 829,680 times

Advertisements

We have an 06 Mustang GT and we love it!! We've driven it all the way from SC to Key West, SC to Oklahoman and SC to Oregon and have never had a problem. Oh...and we made the trip to Oregon, one way, in just over 36 hrs so, needless to say, not all Mustang owners drive slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 09:43 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
I think it would be better if Ford offered AWD as an option in the Mustang.
It will never happen. Economics alone wouldn't allow for such an option.

Heritage and faithfulness to the marque shouldn't allow for such an option.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Most of the exotic supercars feature or at least offer AWD and that's because they want full use of all the power, all the time and in every situation.
Most exotics offer AWD? Can I get a list? The biggest player in the exotic market (Ferrari) doesn't offer a single AWD car. Porsche offers it in the 911, but I don't consider the 911 an exotic by any stretch of the imagination. The Carrera GT is an exotic, but it's not AWD. Lamborghini is the only major player to have AWD exotics, but they hardly make up the majority of exotic supercars.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:54 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
Lambo Diablo and Gallardo AWD

Ferrari had it back with the 408 and is developing a new system (to keep up with Lambo)

Porsche 959 was a supercar and did feature AWD and the 911 isn't exactly a common car on the street.. and the new 997 GT 2 and GT 3 are both supposed to have the new AWD system..

Jag XJ220 was AWD

Bugatti Veyron has AWD

MB-McLaren SLR 772 has AWD

Old 09-22-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:

Ferrari had it back with the 408 and is developing a new system (to keep up with Lambo)

Porsche 959 was a supercar and did feature AWD and the 911 isn't exactly a common car on the street.. and the new 997 GT 2 and GT 3 are both supposed to have the new AWD system..

Jag XJ220 was AWD

Bugatti Veyron has AWD

It's the SLR 722 and it is RWD.

I don't consider any of the Porsche 911 lineup to be exotics. They are high-end sports cars, but they are not exotics. The Carrera GT is an exotic, and is RWD.

The 997 GT2 and GT3 are RWD cars, NOT AWD cars. These are purpose built track cars and AWD weighs too much.

The Lambos have been mentioned as AWD cars.

You are correct about the Veyron being AWD, but with a total run of 300 cars they don't make up very many of the exotics on the road.

The XJ220 and 959 are not current exotics, which I believed to be the focus of our discussion.

Ferrari is not worried about keeping up with Lamborghini. Ferrari has absolutely no trouble selling every car it builds and the demand for their cars increases every year as new wealth comes from areas like China, India and Russia.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:44 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
oh geesh, so I got a number wrong... and Porsche and Borg Warner have come up with a new AWD system and there is speculation it might go in the GT2 and/or GT3, then again that could just be speculation.. The Veyron is pretty much the ultimate exotic car in price, insane spec's and speed. The limited amount produced makes them that much more exotic.. As far as the 911, we'll just have to agree to differ on that one. The price range it hangs out in and the spec's it has are pretty freaking impressive to me and I'm talking the top end ones, not a base model.. not to metion I don't even remember the last time I saw a 911. We'll see on Ferrari.. I'm guessing they aren't developing a new AWD system just for the heck of it... that's not cost effective

but back to the mustang. I was taking my dog out today and a 2007 drove by. I do like how they went retro to much better years, but it suffers from the same thing the camaro did, it needs a serious diet.. I think it it lost maybe 500ish pounds it could be a lot better car. I do love their exhaust though..

Old 09-22-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
oh geesh, so I got a number wrong...
And the driveline.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:34 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
A good value for great performance at a relatively cheap price would be the Subaru WRX STI. This car has AWD, is in high demand, and does not depreciate in value very fast at all. I think the 0-60mph time is under 5.5 seconds.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:00 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
AWD Mustang ain't gonna happen. Not in this decade or the next. There absolutely would be riots among the Mustang faithful. We're talking about a group of purists who were up in arms when the Mustang went from pushrod to OHC and when the Cobra got independent rear suspension. (The OHC is here to stay; the IRS has been abandoned). There's no way an AWD Mustang is going to go over well with the Mustang's target audience.

Not to mention if they did offer AWD they'd have to re-engineer the entire platform at a cost of hundreds of millions, and the extra equipment would add about 300lbs to an already rather plump car.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:

Jag XJ220 was AWD

Bugatti Veyron has AWD

1) Lambos are AWD because Lamborghini is owned by AWD-obsessed Volkswagen, not because anyone was clamoring for an AWD Lambo that weighs 300lbs more than it needs to and understeers more than its predecessor.

2) The 408 never went into production, and the AWD system that was developed for the 408 was never applied to any production car.

3) The "AWD Ferrari" rumor remains just that; a rumor -- and one that has been floating around for the last 20 years ever since the 408 made the rounds at the auto show circuit. The latest resurgence of the rumor was in 2005, and at that time we were told by the same propagators of the rumor that it would show up on the replacement for the 575. Well, the replacement for the 575 is on showroom floors today, and guess what? It's RWD. Ferrari itself has yet to claim that it will be offering AWD, and while I don't doubt they've ever completely dropped development of an AWD system, I'll believe it's production-bound when I hear it from them. It may be that an AWD Ferrari is inevitable only because the current horsepower war is such that 750-800HP production cars are just around the corner and AWD will be the only practical way to get that much power to the ground on a street car. If the day comes when we see AWD Ferraris, it will probably be on their front-engine GTs only while the serious mid-engine track cars remain RWD.

4) The 997 GT2 and GT3 are both RWD only. When Porsche gets serious about producing a track-ready car, they ditch AWD.

5) Accordingly, The 959 was AWD because it was developed for rallying, not tarmac racing.

6) The Veyron has AWD partially because Bugatti is also owned by AWD-obsessed Volkswagen, and largely because you just plain must have AWD if you expect to manage 1,000HP in a street car.

7)The SLR 722 is not AWD, it is RWD just like the "standard" SLR (if you could call it that) on which it's based.

Last edited by Drover; 09-23-2007 at 12:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln