Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 01:23 PM

29,545 posts, read 14,693,013 times

Advertisements

So I was going thru a sales brochure that a co-worker had and noticed this in it. It was some sort of towing sway control option where if the trailer starts swaying it reduces engine output and selectively actuates the brakes.
This sounds like an accident waiting to happen. I've only been towing since '88 , either a 26' enclosed snowmobile trailer (#7500 loaded) or boats , usually between #6000 to #11,000. And what I was always taught was if the trailer started swaying either reach down and tap the electric trailer brakes or floor it and if your truck has enough power you can pull out of the sway. Having an engine that is reducing power without your control sounds like a very bad idea. And most of the boat trailers I've towed don't have electric brakes so how will the system "selectively" apply braking ?
Anyone else notice this or heard of this system ? What are your opinions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 02:00 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,124,095 times
Never heard of this, but I agree it sounds like a bad idea. If it works perfectly, OK then, but when it gets old and cranky, I could see it doing more harm than good.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:03 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,199,678 times
These systems apply braking at individual wheels and manipulate the throttle to reduce or eliminate sway. They take advantage of ABS, the electronics that control it, etc - components that are largely already on the vehicle. It is a natural extension to the traction and stability controls already common on many vehicles.

Unless the "software" is bad, I don't see why these systems should be any less reliable than stability control. I have no personal experience with them, but I bet they act faster than most drivers can.

Ford Demonstrates Trailer Sway Control for 2011 Super Duty - PickupTrucks.com News

Old 01-14-2011, 03:49 PM

29,545 posts, read 14,693,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
These systems apply braking at individual wheels and manipulate the throttle to reduce or eliminate sway. They take advantage of ABS, the electronics that control it, etc - components that are largely already on the vehicle. It is a natural extension to the traction and stability controls already common on many vehicles.

Unless the "software" is bad, I don't see why these systems should be any less reliable than stability control. I have no personal experience with them, but I bet they act faster than most drivers can.

Ford Demonstrates Trailer Sway Control for 2011 Super Duty - PickupTrucks.com News

Just watched the video. Maybe I'm just old or stubborn but I just don't have faith in anything that takes over throttle control .. there have been times in my past that WFO helped control the situation. If I didn't have the power on tap I would have lost control. Now that being said back when ABS came out, I was all over that and I completely trust it so Im not against computer controlled things.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,610 posts, read 81,316,164 times
After all the Toyota issues anything that uses the computer to control important functions on a vehicle is cause for worry. Think about the number of times you see the blue screen of death or have a freeze on your PC. All of them have some degree of computer controls now but the least the better for me. Of course, when it comes to the 2011 Explorer, it wouldn't be on the short list anyway, butt ugly.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:55 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,539,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
After all the Toyota issues anything that uses the computer to control important functions on a vehicle is cause for worry. Think about the number of times you see the blue screen of death or have a freeze on your PC. All of them have some degree of computer controls now but the least the better for me. Of course, when it comes to the 2011 Explorer, it wouldn't be on the short list anyway, butt ugly.
Those issues seems to lead to driver error, not Toyota's.

The new Explorer seems very well done.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:45 PM

15,437 posts, read 25,840,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

This feature could be bad if it makes people think that they loaded the trailer properly when they didn't. That doesn't seem good to me.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:07 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,588,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Those issues seems to lead to driver error, not Toyota's.
The last I read was that the labs investigating the "problem" could not find a single case where the Toyota system had been faulty. They were all cases of drivers stomping on the accelerator instead of the brake and then complaining about gaining speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln