Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 06:44 AM

261 posts, read 738,705 times

Advertisements

I expected that I'd be driving my new Fiesta by now, but instead the local dealer thinks it will be next month at the earliest before my car arrives. Part of the salesman's response when I asked for an update was: "Ford Motor Company reported to us that yours is one of 1,500 Ford Fiestas that are on a quality hold while they do another check of systems before shipping."

It seems that I could interpret that reply in very different ways. Is Ford being extra careful about sampling and testing the first Fiestas off the assembly line? Perhaps I should be happy that my car is receiving extra scrutiny and is more likely to arrive in perfect condition. OTOH, does the comment mean that there have been problems with the initial run and my car was found to be flawed, was repaired and is undergoing more tests because Ford isn't sure it has fixed the problem(s)?

For years I've avoided buying a new model in its first production year, but I figured with the Fiesta's European history I wouldn't be taking the same gamble. Has anyone read/heard anything about production problems in Mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 08:55 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Hate to tell you, but this is usually tied to an off-line repair. They most likely discovered a defect in a part installed on a certain VIN series and put the cars on quality hold to repair them before they are shipped. This happens more often then people think and is the result of the final QC process that happens before shipping. I really wouldn't worry about it as it could be something extremely minor like a mis-aligned interior panel or some missing plastic pop rivets. They won't let the car leave until it is up to snuff.

The dealer may try to pass this off as them holding a group of cars to do further quality checks, but they never use actual customer/dealer ordered cars for that purpose. They occasionally run a car down the line that is not part of the order stream that is then pulled aside and essentially disassembled for QC.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:22 AM

261 posts, read 738,705 times
Quote:
They most likely discovered a defect in a part installed on a certain VIN series and put the cars on quality hold to repair them before they are shipped. This happens more often then people think and is the result of the final QC process that happens before shipping. I really wouldn't worry about it as it could be something extremely minor like a mis-aligned interior panel or some missing plastic pop rivets. They won't let the car leave until it is up to snuff.
Thanks for your response. That explanation makes sense. I just hope the delay is not extended.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:46 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,132,407 times
The Mexican built Fords are WAY superior to the Detroit cars. I am sure Ford wants favorable reports for their great new car. It can make or break them. My guess is your car will be as flawless as possible. It will be a far cry from first year Detroit vehicles.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:20 PM

232 posts, read 632,728 times
I think it was something about it being built in Mexico and transported by rail to the US and Mexico going through really bad rain fall and their railways looks something like this

I just wonder if the cars they are holding back for "quility assurance" checks weren't in fact water damaged and they are fixing it. Luckily I just ordered mine, so hopefully when it is built most of this will be ironed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln