Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:32 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,419,804 times

Advertisements

Hey there...

We have been looking to buy a Gas Grill...going to need one by Memorial Day, got lots of family coming up!

We have a little Charcoal grill...a Weber, and it's been great, but with 2 little one's in Diapers, it's not so convienient...but I love my Weber!

I don't know jack $h!t about Gas Grills, other than they run on propane tanks, and cast iron is what you want for the grates, right?

I'm looking to spend around $200...most of the time i'll be cooking for just me and the family, wife and 2 kiddoes...but every once and a while, i'll have 10 - 15 people over for entertaining...that should tell me how many burners i'll need, right??

so, anyways...grilling experts, please help me! which brand should i stay away from, where's a good place to find a deal, and other helpful advice would be appreciated...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 08:03 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,413,401 times
I was going to buy a gas grill this past weekend. To my dismay ~~ I would have to buy the tank seperate!!! I'm very disappointed! Char-Broil brand.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:42 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,804,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
I was going to buy a gas grill this past weekend. To my dismay ~~ I would have to buy the tank seperate!!! I'm very disappointed! Char-Broil brand.
Yeah, you have to purchase the propane tanks separately. I think its about $40 if you are not exchanging a depleted tank and about $15 if you are.

I think a bag of lump charcoal is about $15, only I don't get as many uses out of it as I do a tank of propane.

Gas grills are definitely more convenient and I think that grilling becomes more science than art. I like consistent heat, I like being able to "learn my grill" and develop presets that are ideal for different meats and cuts and I like the minimal start-up/clean-up/waste. I do think there is something to be said for the flavor imparted over hardwood coals, but I do not think that briquettes significantly outperform propane. Some people will tell you that you can't get the flames to "kiss" the meat on a gas grill. That's not true. Any time you have hot oils and open flame, you are going to get flares that touch the meat. It isn't always desirable and its a lot easier to control on a gas grill.

You may switch to dino-fuel grills as a bit of a surrender, but you will stay with it because you realize that charcoal is at a technological disadvantage.

Taste the meat, not the heat.

My $0.02.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:56 AM

thanks for the input!

i'm looking for specific gas grills in the $200 neighborhood...any suggestions? any brands that aren't worth a plug nickle?? also, would you think a 3 burner or 4 burner would be best...assuming there's a significant price difference?

Old 05-17-2010, 09:39 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,804,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
thanks for the input!

i'm looking for specific gas grills in the $200 neighborhood...any suggestions? any brands that aren't worth a plug nickle?? also, would you think a 3 burner or 4 burner would be best...assuming there's a significant price difference?
For a big cookout you will be happy to have a larger grilling surface and a BTU output north of 30,000 at a bare minimum.

For your price range I would take a peek at this one... Char-Broil 48,000 BTU 4 Burner Stainless Steel LP Gas Grill with Additional 13,000 BTU Side Burner - 463420509 at The Home Depot A co-worker and neighbor has one and I have grilled on it. It can be tricky to dial in your low temperature settings for more delicate meats but it is great for a gaggle of burgers and searing steaks. Good bit of gear - not the best, but good gear.

I haven't always had good experiences with Char-Broil and I tend to be a Weber hugger, but... if you are not a total slob and take care of your equipment - to some extent a grill is a grill is a grill.

Also, I bought a grill with a side burner because the sales staff sold me on it. I wasn't certain that I would ever use it, but it comes in handy all the time. If you like to sautee mushrooms or onions for burgers, steaks etc. then it's perfect. I will also sometimes cook bacon on the outside burner to keep the odor outside.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
For a big cookout you will be happy to have a larger grilling surface and a BTU output north of 30,000 at a bare minimum.

For your price range I would take a peek at this one... Char-Broil 48,000 BTU 4 Burner Stainless Steel LP Gas Grill with Additional 13,000 BTU Side Burner - 463420509 at The Home Depot A co-worker and neighbor has one and I have grilled on it. It can be tricky to dial in your low temperature settings for more delicate meats but it is great for a gaggle of burgers and searing steaks. Good bit of gear - not the best, but good gear.

I haven't always had good experiences with Char-Broil and I tend to be a Weber hugger, but... if you are not a total slob and take care of your equipment - to some extent a grill is a grill is a grill.

Also, I bought a grill with a side burner because the sales staff sold me on it. I wasn't certain that I would ever use it, but it comes in handy all the time. If you like to sautee mushrooms or onions for burgers, steaks etc. then it's perfect. I will also sometimes cook bacon on the outside burner to keep the odor outside.

nice! that looks to be about what we're looking for...i've heard mixed reviews of Char-Boil, and i hate to stray from Weber, but man...they sure are proud of em!

Old 05-17-2010, 10:17 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,696,157 times
I got a new Chargrill dual grill. One side is gas, the other charcoal, plus a gas side burner. It's nice because sometimes I want to use charcoal. Plus it is barrel shaped and easy to clean plus has a catch pan underneath.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:34 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,430,664 times
I love my Char-Broil. I got it on sale for $60. It's a little guy--only two burners, but I live alone, so it does a good job. I had never grilled before so this was a good starter grill. For you, I'd recommend the same brand, just maybe few steps up. I like the one jimbobursy posted!

Old 05-18-2010, 11:36 AM

897 posts, read 1,690,375 times
Charcoal grilled meat tastes a lot better than gas grilled,no contest!

Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 AM

183 posts, read 352,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
Charcoal grilled meat tastes a lot better than gas grilled,no contest!
That's a matter of taste. I don't mind the taste that charcoal can inpart, but when I buy a $10 or $12 steak, I want to taste the meat, not the charcoal. I actually think a lot of people just gravitate towards what they're used to. If you grew up on charcoal, it tastes best, if you grew up on gas then that's better. It also depends on the food. I don't want certain foods to have any added flavor, but some are better with a charcoal flavoring.

We have a similar 4 burner Char-Broil to the one posted above. It is decent. It doesn't heat evenly front to back. I can put something on the very back of the grill and the same thing on the front and the one in back will be black while th eone in fron needs to cook. Not an issue if you stay in the center of the grill, but if you have a lot of burgers, wings, or jalepeno poppers, for instance, you gotta move them around to make sure they are all evenly done. The nice big surface allows for indirect grill that is really indirect. I haven't found a good solution to smoking yet. I ether get no smoke or I light the wood on fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink