Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 09:33 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,647,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Wish the Outback was open for lunchtime!!
Our Outback is open for lunch. It is the original location though, still pretty popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 10:12 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,710,340 times
Anyone tried bone fish grills burger?

Old 10-11-2010, 02:34 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,218,251 times
I'll second that vote for Fuddruckers. Order medium rare, do own fixins, close to as good as it gets.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:58 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,153,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I make the best at home. Huge....disgustingly beautiful massive burgers, at least 3/4 pounders - 1 pounders, juice running down your wrists and arms burgers; gorgeous globs of heaven.
Dang it, I was trolling just so I could get you back with a "bloody burgers, no thanks" commnt (retribution for your Vinegar comment), but alas I can't, that sounds DELICIOUS.

Well played sir, well played.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:02 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,153,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
Jlawrence kind of hit on this, but the issue of rare ground beef is due to the ground aspect of it.

All fresh meat is sterile on the inside. Bacteria makes contact on the outside of the meat, and works it's way in. So if you have a fresh cut of meat, and you eat it raw from the center, no (almost) worries. I used to do this all the time during my time as a butcher at one of America's largest chain steakhouses. YUM!

But when you ground beef, then all that surface area with the bacteria gets turned into the middle. Effectively, what you are doing is creating nearly 100% surface area for the meat, and there is no sterile places left. Any bacteria can spread almost immediately, thus increasing the risk for e-coli and other badness.

So the people that say "grind it yourself" are pretty much right, but even still, you have to know what you're talking about. Grind FRESH meat, and cook it almost immediately if you want your burgers rare and safe.

Some folks feel like if a restaurant grinds their own burgers (eg: Fuddruckers) it's safe, because of the reasons stated above. The problem is that these types of restaurants serve many many people, and they are not grinding burgers to order. The burger you eat might have been ground yesterday, or even the day before, so just make sure you know what you're eating when you go out.

For me, I like my steaks mid-rare most of the time, but can go a temp up or down and be happy. Burgers I generally like with 'no pink', but will make some acceptions depending on mood, risk tollerance, and knowledge of how it is prepared.

BTW: All of this has absolutely nothing (NOTHING! to do with how clean a restaurant is. It is all related to food handling practice, and the understanding of the spread and growth of bacteria and other living organisms.

Sorry if I ruined it for anyone, but I do believe that understanding will help you to make good decisions.

Last night I cooked burgers at home with grilled ham, swiss cheese, fresh avacado, tomato, red onion, and romaine. Washed down with a cold beer. Beef was fresh, but store ground, so I cooked it through. Still, YUM!!!

Woo hoo, and I just got my meat grinder attachment for the KitchenAide.

Mid-rare burgers with no additives, here I come!

Old 10-12-2010, 02:36 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,634,359 times
This thread makes me want Steak Tartar with a nice raw egg broken into a depression on top. Raw spicy meat and egg yolk are yummy!!!

Old 10-12-2010, 07:58 AM

19,587 posts, read 9,591,684 times
Default BLOODY-RED burgers!

I like mine med rare not rare but in some states, ie - Maryland, when it comes to ground beef, was told that it has to be served at least medium cooked.

It's been awhile since I've ordered burgers in Maryland so not sure if that rule still applies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink