Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:06 AM

15,145 posts, read 14,343,988 times

Advertisements

Anyone tried the meal delivery web sites and could recommend a good one? No special needs , just good healthy meals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 10:20 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,500,987 times
never tried it cause they are SO expensive! i recommend rachel ray cook books, cause most of her recipes are very easy---especially her 30 minute meals.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:02 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,369,461 times
I agree about RR's books. Also, Betty Crocker and Paula Deen's books are easy. Home delivery is very expensive and I cannot believe as good as home-cooked, even if you are a beginner. I think even Taste of Home cookbooks are easy as are Gooseberry Patch.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:37 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,424,677 times
Read this forum. We have experts in all areas: beginners, experienced, in between, innovative takeout, easy home cooked, home style, gourmet, whatever.

Here are a few favorite suggestions for those who don't like to cook. Just about every grocery store has rotissiere chickens now. Some stores will cut them in half for you. You can have roast chicken, sandwiches or cut it up for casseroles or chicken salad. There are enough prepared salads, vegetables ready to cook in the bag and deli items available now that anyone can breeze through and have a delicious meal in no time.

All seafood and fish cooks quickly. Many grocery stores will steam shrimp. You can use all of the sides from the chicken idea.

Publix, a chain in the southeast, specializes in quick meals and demonstrates them in the stores. I believe that many of their quick recipes are on their website.

I see a column in some newspapers that is called the 7 Day Meal Planner. Several of the meals featured for each week are quick and simple. You can also Google it.

Use our forum -- it's a great resource!

Old 03-13-2010, 02:15 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,457,021 times
The meal delivery companies are mostly for specialized medical or high-end diets. That doesn't sound like your situation. Your best bet is to contact your local grocery chains and inquire about their services.

Whole Foods has prepared meals. My wallet calls them a bit on the pricey side, but at about $9-$12 that's at least comparable to a casual restaurant. I think you've got Randall's in Houston? They used to have a delivery service years ago, but it was suspended pending a new business partnership, I think. You should call them and find out if their delivery is back on. Their offerings aren't so expansive, though. Mostly confined to the roasted chickens but they have online shopping and have got a deli. I'm assuming you have the ability to reheat, either stove or microwave.

IIRC, the business alliance in question was with the British firm that owns Fresh & Easy. Now, I don't think you have Fresh & Easy in Texas, but their prepared meals are fantastic and well priced, a good variety at $3.50, and 10% off two. That's better than fast food, and tastier and more nutritious. Perhaps one of your grocery chains has a distribution deal with the British firm, and if so they may be offering an array of these prepared meals.

But is it the delivery that's more required than the meal? A lot of chains offer it, and in SoCal almost all the Latino grocery stores do, so maybe your Fiesta Mart is a solid contact. You'd be confined to Latino food, though, if they're your only option. But if others deliver too, then they may just be one option of many for home food delivery.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:35 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,932,723 times
A colleague used Lite N Easy. She said she found the meals a bit bland. I dont know if that was b/c they were specifically for weight loss, but I find most prepared meals lacking something. Now, I'm someone who barely knew what one was supposed to do in a kitchen but I've had to find out, stat.
I find www.allrecipes.com a very helpful site. It really is more economical preparing your own meals.

I can't say I enjoy cooking, but I no longer require sedatives prior to cooking, and my SO no longer dials the emergency number when I step into the kitchen. I've even roasted a chicken! (It was much nicer than ready roasted from the store).

Old 03-13-2010, 08:50 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,824,301 times
Just post in this forum something you want to eat and someone will tell you how to make it! Seriously, with a few basic pots and pans and maybe a toaster oven, you can cook up some nice healthy meals for yourself.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:58 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,733,139 times
I've never tried this service, but I hear them advertised a lot on the radio. Could be worth a look--I see they are also in Texas.

Seattle Sutton's Healthy Eating, Healthy Meal Plans, Diet Plans (http://www.seattlesutton.com/LocationList.asp?zip=&searchstate=TX - broken link)

But I agree with Antiquesmountainapache. Cooking good, simple, healthy meals is not difficult. It's less expensive and better for you, too.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:13 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,343,988 times
Thanks alot for the suggestions everyone. I'm just not comfortable in the kitchen and i work 10-12 a day so time for cooking is limited for me. Anyone have some good recipes for Salmon I love Salmon, Thanks

Old 03-14-2010, 10:27 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,424,677 times
I have thought of something else if your main goal is simply avoiding the cooking duties. Contact the assisted living facilities in your area and see who cooks for them. Sometimes private individuals or caterers supply food services to the residents. An aquaintance did this before she moved to Florida. She had built up quite a business and also provided meals to individuals who didn't want to cook. I'll post again if I think of some other ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink